Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Learn Spanish

Options
  • 11-07-2006 8:56pm

I am looking to learn Spanish as i am moving to Madrid in a year. I have little to none.
    Does anybody know the best place to go ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭reallybad

I am looking to learn Spanish as i am moving to Madrid in a year. I have little to none.
    Does anybody know the best place to go ?
    i did the beginner spanish in the eden school of english and found it really excellent.160 for 10/12 weeks.
    The only draw back with courses like this was there was no real target eg an exam and or certificate and i personally found it hard to focus.however you have madrid which will help you.

The teacher in there was excellent. i believe her name was Begonya

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You should check out the conversation exchange in the Central Library. I did a Instituto Cervantes course which was good (friendly and good teacher) but which I found went very very slowly.

For self-learning CDs Michel Thomas is really excellent; I just happen to be selling my copy at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 silverroof56

Pimsleur is a good method,..i think www.pimsleur.co.uk will direct you.
    The institute cervantes is good,.I'm learning there at the moment.
    do you mind if i ask what you will be working at in madrid,..I hope to move to spain,..but it scares me what i could work at,..

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I lived in Spain for 5 years, work was not exactly easy to come by then (afaik things haven't changed much) so I'd suggest you do a TEFL course before you go as that way you can always do a few private english classes if you're stuck for cash and you have the option of working in one of the many Academias de Idiomas. Depending on your level of Spanish there's always bar work (be prepared for very late nights).
    As regards learning spanish, my best advice would be regardless of where you go you should make sure you're getting a native speaker who won't speak much english in class - this is a much more natural method of learning than translating word for word.
    HTH

I am unsure were i will be working at the moment too :P Its not for a while yet but i have plenty of places to look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement