Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Gallway really so great?

• 27-06-2006 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark19

Hi Galweagians!:)
    I`m wondering if anybody could help me?
    From my friend who is moving to Gallway thiese summer I heard that Gallway is greet place to live. He convinced me to go with him and spend some time there. I`ve booked flight on 12th July. I know that we will be lving in Salthill. I am going to stay there for the end of my holidays but to do that I need find some work. So please tell me if it is worth to spend lot of money to book flight hire flat etc. and spend my last holiday before studies in Gallway. And the last thing, is there a chance to find some summer job? I`am 19 teenager from Szczecin in Poland and I start my psychology studies in Warsaw in October:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Galway is a nice spot to spend the summer. Not sure about work though. There were heaps of backpackers when I was there competing for summer work so it might be a good idea to try and get ahead of the posse and ring around before u arrive. Tons of work in Dublin and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Lived in Galway for years. It's a great spot, but Cork is better. Lots of Polish here too - There's even a Polish bar and shop here! And it's a good bit cheaper than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

shnaek wrote:
    And it's a good bit cheaper than Dublin.

Anywhere is cheaper than Dublin!! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm paying now in Dublin roughly the same rent as I paid in Galway 2 years ago, so it's not really cheaper than Dublin. It's a great town, I lived in Salthill for 3 years, had a ball, don't remember a lot of it ;) Go, enjoy and good luck with the degree :)

As for work, there's a stack of hotels and bars that might be looking for temporary staff, I'd advise you to bring a stack of CVs to hand in on your first day.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

hey mark when you get to galway or even before check out the galway advertiser
    www.galwayadvertiser.ie
    it lists all the jobs that are available so that you can apply in advance.
    they are always looking for bar staff. there is also a polish bar out in salthill so try there too.

Hope your say in Galway is enjoyable..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark19

Thanks for yours replies!
    I wasn`t expecting so warm words from you.
    I see that really nice people live in Gallway:) I`m going to use some of tips that you give me. I`m fully optimistic about my journey to Gallway:) I will take lots of my CVs as you suggested Kharn:)
    By the way your neighbor island have just lose penatles with Portugal:mad:
    Now I`m sure that Brazil will win the final with Germany( I hope so:) )

Thanks again!
    Mayby some of you i will meet in Gallway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is Gallway really so great?

Yes

Galway,where buckfast is the blood of the people.Brilliant place during college term anyway.Prob more varied crowd in the summer.Go for it.Enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Galway is known as a place that fosters the arts.

Advertisement