Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sorry this is not a photo, but in relation to those talking about the blackhawk, this might be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXs-c_i4OQ&feature=player_embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

BostonB wrote: »
    Sorry this is not a photo, but in relation to those talking about the blackhawk, this might be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXs-c_i4OQ&feature=player_embedded

Beat you to it a few days back! :p

Dang notifications.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

schuetze_knieend_960x757_1291892399.jpg ("Foto: Bundesheer")

800px-6jgbrig_HGeb_%2822%29.jpg

u_Kfor_Bundesheer_Kosovo.jpg

Austrian-Jagdkommando-1-300x199.jpg

Some Austrian soldiers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

One of my favourites...

tumblr_l20rjib4SV1qzbcsao1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

("Foto: Bundesheer")

Austrian-Jagdkommando-1-300x199.jpg

Some Austrian soldiers :)

What gun is this guy using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

What gun is this guy using?

CQB short barralled Steyr AUG I believe

CQB short barralled Steyr AUG I believe

Im certain your right but it also looks just like a regular Steyr but appears short due to the angle the photo was taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Steyr wrote: »
    Im certain your right but it also looks just like a regular Steyr but appears short due to the angle the photo was taken?

Here's the rifle from a different angle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=143907&stc=1&d=1295342865

• Advertisement

Here's the rifle from a different angle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=143907&stc=1&d=1295342865

So it is just the regular Steyr but with attachments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Looks more like the shorter barrell version as used by Cav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I'm just comparing the M203 and the rifles barrel length in both photos, and I'm not sure if the M203 can be fitted to the shorter barrel.

Poccington would be more familiar with this configuration than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Well I'm just comparing the M203 and the rifles barrel length in both photos, and I'm not sure if the M203 can be fitted to the shorter barrel.

Poccington would be more familiar with this configuration than I am.

As far as i can remember (from what i was told by nco's) is that its the standard issue rifle (20in barrel) + M203 attachment (dont quote me on it, just what i was told).

800px-Austeyr_F88_M203.JPEG

Standard rifle for comparison:
    751px-Steyr_AUG_DN-SD-01-04632.jpg

I thought the only people in the army that are issued with them are the Rangers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Cryos wrote: »
    As far as i can remember (from what i was told by nco's) is that its the standard issue rifle (20in barrel) + M203 attachment (dont quote me on it, just what i was told).

800px-Austeyr_F88_M203.JPEG

Standard rifle for comparison:
    751px-Steyr_AUG_DN-SD-01-04632.jpg

I thought the only people in the army that are issued with them are the Rangers ?

Cav are the only ones who have them,. You need something smaller to fit inside a vehicle. Only when they are alongside the full length one that you'll see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Baldonnell today.....

Hey Dude.....where's my car gone???

img0712p.jpg

img0724pd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The picture of the Irish lad is a bog standard Steyr with a 203, it's not short barrelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

article-1265320-03B4F95B000005DC-541_468x286.jpg

99th Infantry battalion in a counter Sniper Role in Sangin, Afghanistan, back in April. Brought in to help the Brits after the Afghan Sniper was killing Brittish Sniper teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

maglite wrote: »

99th Infantry battalion in a counter Sniper Role in Sangin, Afghanistan, back in April. Brought in to help the Brits after the Afghan Sniper was killing Brittish Sniper teams

That sounds like bull**** to me. I remember when the Mail or some rag used that photo mistakenly in a story about Irish Gaurds snipers. Is that what you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Donny5 wrote: »
    That sounds like bull**** to me. I remember when the Mail or some rag used that photo mistakenly in a story about Irish Gaurds snipers. Is that what you're thinking of?

indeed.. URL Thought it was interesting, came across it while researching something else.

So not so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

maglite wrote: »

Just the paper making a balls of things, that's a sniper pair in Chad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Poccington wrote: »
    Just the paper making a balls of things, that's a sniper pair in Chad.

The paper doesn't say the picture is from Afghanistan, just says "(pictured, Irish Defence forces 99th Infantry battalion)". It's probably just a stock picture they have of snipers that happens to be of Irish ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

niash.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

X2Vneh.jpg
    rHGsah.jpg

Sappers jump from a hovering Blackhawk helicopter and swim across a frigid lake with their teammates during the helo-cast event on the first day of the competition. The Best Sapper Competition gives engineers throughout the Army the opportunity to compete in a grueling six-phase and three-day competition to determine who are the best engineers in the Army.

qE69U.jpg

U.S. Soldiers with 2nd Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division return fire during a firefight with Taliban forces in Barawala Kalay Valley in Kunar province, Afghanistan, March 31, 2011. U.S. Army photo

oKIZ7h.png
    agMu9h.png

I'm assuming that (I think its a SAW) held like that is not going to very accurate, sight or not.

AQqzoh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Seriously?

z3iranturretforward1.jpg

_DSC0220.jpg

NTM

Advertisement