Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Simona1986 wrote: »
    What's going on in the 4th picture their? Why is she listing so much?

The Carrier was listing as that shot was taken during sea trials, the was going hard to port side at speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Steyr wrote: »
    The Carrier was listing as that shot was taken during sea trials, the was going hard to port side at speed.

jeez Steyr, that one was answered in the thread. please look there more often!! :p:p:p:p;);):D:D

Just extracting the urine lad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Rovi wrote: »

Apparently, all this lovely brass gets 'float tested' later :(-

It's aluminium.

tac

Good one JuleP. Blue Max was a pretty good movie, shame about the German soldiers with No4 LE's though :rolleyes:, but then I guess the Irish army was a good one to use as extras...

Picture119-rs.jpg

....because they already looked like Germans :D

The rifles are SMLE No1 MkI, not No4.

tac
    Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland [www.vcrai.com]

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RNO

Im sorry, what?? Are you referring to the Blackhawk at the top of this thread? The blackhawk with its front gear on the rocks? If so that looks like an Emergency Evacuation or regular pic up of troops from a Mountainside in Afghanistan.

This Helicopter is far away to have its front gear on the rocks, is an optical effect. And that make no sens...
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The shipbuilders probably weren't expecting to ever see this photo.

28338264.jpg

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wow...

Better image of -11 VARYAG here -

http://outontheporch.org/category/russia/

Look at 25 June 2010 image in San Francisco Bay...

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The shipbuilders probably weren't expecting to ever see this photo.

NTM

Only in their Communist dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

A Churchill tank and a ??? (anyone know what the second one is??) taken by moi. The Churchill pictured below was manufactured in May of 1944 if my memory serves me right, if only it could talk eh.

NewImagem.jpg

NewImageb.jpg

CroppyBoy1798

I believe it's a Comet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Comet_tank_1.jpg

• Advertisement

MajorMax wrote: »

That's the Curragh and a Comet it is.

Sad to see it like that. A former associate of mine, Andy Hutchison, spent a couple of year refurbishing a Comet for the Curragh Museum - I wonder if it's still there?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Morlar wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the bright, almost flourescent, blue camouflage pattern is for ? Is that for display /ceremonial purposes ?

It's for the Smurfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

RNO wrote: »
    This Helicopter is far away to have its front gear on the rocks, is an optical effect.

Not its not an Optical Illusion the Soldiers are to scale, its either hovering just above the rocks or she has her main gear on the rocks with the tail wheel in the air, amazing flying and amazing skill, Have seen similar using RAF Seakings in the UK on video and it can be done have also seen it on Nat Geographic channel using either Mexican or Colombian Blackhawks as they went looking for Cocaine Factories high in the hills, they also were shown landing on just the main gear and balancing the Blackhawk so well to compensate for the lack of ground for the tailwheel.

Infact this might be the very helicopter in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APIpPijMy5k&feature=related

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZzRhu9tM1k

Chinook can do it too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWb40UEXGMU&feature=related

Not its not an Optical Illusion the Soldiers are to scale, its either hovering just above the rocks or she has her main gear on the rocks with the tail wheel in the air, amazing flying and amazing skill, Have seen similar using RAF Seakings in the UK on video and it can be done have also seen it on Nat Geographic channel using either Mexican or Colombian Blackhawks as they went looking for Cocaine Factories high in the hills, they also were shown landing on just the main gear and balancing the Blackhawk so well to compensate for the lack of ground for the tailwheel.

Infact this might be the very helicopter in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APIpPijMy5k&feature=related

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZzRhu9tM1k

Chinook can do it too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWb40UEXGMU&feature=related

Finaly not...soldiers are not at scale, just look at the tire, how big it look compare to the first soldier. Wheels are very small on helicopter.
    This Blackhawk is coming, as we can see how move soldiers, and may land like you show on the video, but no here.
    The door is not even above the land.
    And I believed that pilots are full of skill, no probleme, I saw myself back as a paratrooper many incredible maneuvers made with super puma or hercules. That was just my opinion about this pic.

About chinook, it is a sure way to land the men and classic.

Finaly not...soldiers are not at scale, just look at the tire, how big it look compare to the first soldier. Wheels are very small on helicopter.
    This Blackhawk is coming, as we can see how move soldiers, and may land like you show on the video, but no here.
    The door is not even above the land.
    And I believed that pilots are full of skill, no probleme, I saw myself back as a paratrooper many incredible maneuvers made with super puma or hercules. That was just my opinion about this pic.

About chinook, it is a sure way to land the men and classic.

j'disagree
    Blackhawk whels are quite large, in proportion to the aircraft.
    UH-60-Black-Hawk-helicopter-344.preview.jpg

spaceball.gifspaceball.gif

So, compare again your photo and the other one and the proportion whell/man...and you will see yourself.
    End of the thread for me.

Yup. Looks about right.

Of course, the soldiers could be japanese......

ahahah good one...I didn't think about japanese

You have obviously not taken into account the "stance" of the Soldiers they are clearly heads down and moving towards the Helicopter, to be at the area she is landing at on a rock face and to be standing up would be tantamount to suicide.

Its genuine.

• Advertisement

You're right, it is a chopper with big wheels and small guys around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

You're right, it is a chopper with big wheels and small guys around.

Here's a picture of that SOF patrol being inserted:
    9861ehussof-1.jpg

I don't know which of you two is right, but it looks like fun.

Donny5 wrote: »

Me.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Here's a picture of that SOF patrol being inserted:
    9861ehussof-1.jpg

Why they have a right stance here?
    GUYSSSSSSSSS didn't you heare? "Standing up would be tantamount to suicide...."
    Even if the blades are over two meters to the ground....crouch, crouch, not because of the power of the rotor but because you can be cut...

Some should approach a helicopter for real...
    By now.
    I had a good time too.

Even if the blades are over two meters to the ground....crouch, crouch, not because of the power of the rotor but because you can be cut...

Some should approach a helicopter for real...
    By now.
    I had a good time too.

:pac: Downdraught is also an issue too, which would be fairly obvious, oh and i have approached a bird with the rotors running. Au Revoir. Glad you had fun. Also look closer, some close to the Blackhawk are crouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

It's sitting on a plinth in the Curragh.

foinse wrote: »
    It's sitting on a plinth in the Curragh.

That's a waste of a couple of years' skilled work for five men plus about £250K worth of expertise. :=(

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    That's a waste of a couple of years' skilled work for five men plus about £250K worth of expertise. :=(

tac

I think there are 2, and the other is in full running order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm not entirely convinced this is a good idea. Courtesy of Iran.

AKM+with+Nader+grenade+launcher.jpg

NTM

• Advertisement

I just fixed it for you MM. :pac:

CCA144592CBF4FEF8F53A81EFF676559-0000336624-0001990269-00500L-CF9C0D7A27AE4C2FA11BB0B306DCF7AC.jpg

Advertisement