Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Esperanto!

• 25-03-2006 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Saluton! :D

Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton? :rolleyes:
    I'm currently taking an online course in Esperanto - its very easy! http://www.kurso.com.br/ I'm wondering though is there any Esperanto societies in Ireland where I can practise with other Esperantists? Or is there any Esperantists on Boards.ie?
    Dankon!

Samideane :)

UU ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I don't speak it my self personally, but i hear there are more speakers of Klingon worldwide!!!!!
    It was a nice idea, and a brilliantly simple language, which i'm tempted to learn, but i fear i may be wasting my time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

I don't speak it my self personally, but i hear there are more speakers of Klingon worldwide!!!!!
    It was a nice idea, and a brilliantly simple language, which i'm tempted to learn, but i fear i may be wasting my time
    Yes. I was thinking that myself but I'm only learning it as a hobby / pastime. I haven't ever heard of Kligon but Esperanto has about 2 million speakers worldwide, would you believe! That's around the population of Dublin currently. Every year, there is an Esperanto day - this year it will be held in Florence. I think Esperanto sounds really nice and I'm able to learn it very rapidly as I'm fluent in English and am semi-fluent in French.

Dankon! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Klingon is that crazy language that the klingons from star trek speak, and for some reason people go out and learn it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

UU wrote:
    Yes. I was thinking that myself but I'm only learning it as a hobby / pastime. I haven't ever heard of Kligon but Esperanto has about 2 million speakers worldwide, would you believe! That's around the population of Dublin currently. Every year, there is an Esperanto day - this year it will be held in Florence. I think Esperanto sounds really nice and I'm able to learn it very rapidly as I'm fluent in English and am semi-fluent in French.

Dankon! ;)

thers always some advertisign for it in the central library in the ilac, if theres a group anywhere it could be there

It's okay. I got the website of it in Ireland http://www.esperanto.ie/. I think it may be situated in the Templeogue area. I'll stop by the Ilac and ask the people advertising Esperanto the precise details next time I'm on Henry Street. I think I'll finish "Kurso De Esperanto" (Esperanto course) first before joining.

Dankon!

Ĝis la revido ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

UU wrote:
    Saluton! :D

Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton? :rolleyes:
    I'm currently taking an online course in Esperanto - its very easy! http://www.kurso.com.br/ I'm wondering though is there any Esperanto societies in Ireland where I can practise with other Esperantists? Or is there any Esperantists on Boards.ie?
    Dankon!

Samideane :)

UU ;)
    Well UU, you're looking at one of the presumably few boardsies with more or less fluent Esperanto - saluton! :D Kurso de Esperanto is a good choice - actually, I thought the site had disappeared, but I suppose it was only moving from its old Portuguese web address (http://www.cursodeesperanto.com.br) - I'm struggling at the moment to translate the course into Irish (in which I am not quite so fluent).

I sort of stumbled into Esperanto in a similar way a couple of years ago - first I got the Klingon Dictionary and a few lesson sheets from the net, but the intentionally painful difficulty of that language sort of put me off. (By the way, there are not more speakers of Klingon than Esperanto! Check out www.kli.org - it's interesting in small doses but designed to be pretty much the opposite of a human language.) I remembered seeing something about Esperanto a few years before, so when I was in Transition year (two years ago) I downloaded some course from somewhere, got a book out from the library and hey presto! Jen nova esperantisto! And the return isn't bad, I get emails/letters from various countries, keep tabs on various websites etc.

You should try emailing the Esperanto Association of Ireland office for details of meetings, magazines etc. I have a couple of spare magazines I could send you if you want, too - pm me if you're interested.

Saluton Kwekubo! :D

Thanks very much! I really like Esperanto. At present I'm not very good at Irish either so I suppose translating "Kurso de Esperanto" would be a challenge for most of us who are rather weak in Gaelic languages. I've only just began Esperanto but it is so very easy considering I'm half fluent in French. I'm sure Esperanto is a great way for communicating with people from around the globe and it may help me in beginning my studies my studies in Spanish next year.

I would be interested in the spare magazines (although it may take me some time to understand them fully!) I'll PM you also.

P.S. Are you in 6th year too at the moment? I am and it's difficult!

Dankon! ;)

Daniel :rolleyes:

Advertisement