Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst part...

• 16-03-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

For all the current and ex psychology undergrads on the board - what's the worst part about being a psych student?

For me the one of the worst things is when, after telling someone that you are in psychology, they say something along the lines of "ohh, I was reading such and such [typically some trash magazine] and it said such and such, and I was thinking wow that's so true", and then you have to say "actually that's nonsense" [a regular is the 'we only use 10% of our brain' rubbish].

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

people think that you can read their minds and body language so they become really cagey :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

a regular is the 'we only use 10% of our brain' rubbish

That particular "fact" really gets under my skin. My normal reply is "Maybe in your case..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

John2 wrote:
    That particular "fact" really gets under my skin. My normal reply is "Maybe in your case..."

But I read it in a magazine...it must be true!! ....

It's amazing how many people lack critical thinking skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

simplified neuroanatomy:

in the cerebrum: critical thinking is done by the frontal lobes, the frontal lobes contain your personality, your executive skills (judgement, logical sequencing etc), your motor cortex, and your brain does lots of other stuff apart from that...such as hearing (temporal lobes/ wernicke's area), occipital lobes (eyesight), parietal lobes (sensory cortex), the cerebellum (coordination etc), brain stem, also the brain has a massive surface area...had i not being studying cerebral palsy all day i would wright up a longer less simplified response.
    Brain-anatomy.jpg

(awaiting John's neuroscience response, btw i stuck a brain up on your wikipage john ......:)!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I dont' do Psychology but when i was thiinking of it people used to say "Oh so i'll come to you when i'm 30 and sit on a couch and you'll ask me how i feel?" that's not completely wrong but it is still psychiatry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm not a student anymore (thank heavens) but it used to be that people would go rigid and silent, and then say.............."you're analysing me now, aren't you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm not a psychologist but a psychoanalyst, when people used to to say can you read my mind, or do you know what I'm thinking. I would say yes. At the moment you are wondering can I read you mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm not a student anymore (thank heavens) but it used to be that people would go rigid and silent, and then say.............."you're analysing me now, aren't you?"

haha, that one always cracks me up.

It doesn't really bother me though. People are just trying to be nice when they say these things they don't mean to annoy your big heads.

If someone tells me the ol' 10/30/whatever % of our brains are only used, I will politely correct them, no need to condescend!

Advertisement