Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artistic printing press.

Options
  • 03-03-2006 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Anyone who attended the R.T.C.'s, or (whatever they call them now) might have used the "Mangle-type" printing presses. The ones that look like two long rollers and a big wheel to turn them, for intaglio and relief work, etc.

Can anyone tell me if these relics are still used? (though they were still making them up until eight years ago at least). Imports from England.

Or do they have something that requires less effort, like electric or electro-mechanical ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Lol, yup, they're still commonly used!

There's been some progress with printing presses, but not a whole pile.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

yes i was using one only last week. it a portable type with a handle to turn the two rollers and we were using it to create prints. it very old but such a great piece of equipment. I'd love to get one but wouldnt even know where to start looking???????? The old manual equipment is so tough it never needs repair, the technical stuff is another story but is v easy to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 josephd

There wasn't a lot to go wrong with them all right, but I knew a woman who injured her knee. As a result, she couldn't use her 5000 sterling machine.

Her artwork was fine, but her physical health (just a knee problem) came against her, which seemed a bit ironic.

So they have modern versions artieanna?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I honestly don't know if there are modern ones. i was only comparing the old manual tech to the new tech in general. Somehow i doubt if they are made now though i might have a search on web to see if i can find out and i'll get back to you on that.....They really are good!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

i dont know how modern they are but in my college there is a motorised version of a lithograph press but the quality from them is aparently not as good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement