Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Smythe Cup - does it still exist ?

• 21-01-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Long long time ago I was part of a team that won this national competition.

'twas a big deal in our little world at the time.

Does the competition still run ?

It was part of the old SAI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

No it now a county patrol challenge and on to the phenoix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Yep, the Phenoix trophy is the replacemet for the Smythe Cup and the Melvin Trophy.

Attempts by scouts to call the new competition the Smelvin, were ultimately ignored and the Phenoix rose from the ashes of the former chief scouts...... I mean competitions of SAI and CSI.

The Fiontar/Levy Tropy and Cairde are being reformatted into a new Cairde Competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

tee hee. I always thought Smelvin had a nice ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

So did most of the rest of the country... ;)

Actually, that should be brought up at the next National Scout Forum. I wonder does anyone know how/why/who decided it...

Neil!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

So did most of the rest of the country... ;)

Actually, that should be brought up at the next National Scout Forum. I wonder does anyone know how/why/who decided it...

Neil!?

The national forum took place over the weekend of the 21st/22nd January.

The issue was never raised at it and I am unaware of who decided the name for the national competiton.

I have also resigned from my post of participation commissioner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I participated in the Smythe Cup about 6 years ago. We had a member of our patrol hospitalised (my fault) with a suspected broken neck, had our pictures taken for the papers and the Scout magazine, were interviewed by the press, got caught in the Dunshaughlin scouts tent at 2am, and came second last...it was great!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

My oh my, seems like yesterday but it was over 20 years ago when i took part in the Smythe Cup, I think we were 2nd or 3rd and got a plaque. The troop was the 46th Dublin and it was affiliated to the I.W.A in Clontarf, I wonder if it still exists..

take care.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 oopsbuddy

About 30 years ago, I was in the Smythe Cup and lent my brand new Silva compass to a scout from another troop (I didn't know him, but naiively assumed he would bring it back!) for his orienteering challenge. Are you that guy?:mad:

Advertisement