Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Figureing out time signitutres

Options
  • 20-12-2005 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok this has been my one problem for AGGGEEEESSS, ever since i picked up the guitar i think.I cant Figure out time signitures for any song and this is really starting to bug me now cause i would really like to be able to to remember my riffs and songs by punching them into guitar pro and i cannot figure out there sigs.Can anyone out there gimmie a hand with this PLEASE!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

The best way ive found is to tap your foot to the rhythm, and count until it repeats. Try money by pink floyd, you should get 7 taps, that means its in 7/8.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

How do you tell the difference between 4/4 and 2/4 from listening? Both can fit in, it just depends how quickly you count. The same for 3/4 and 6/8.

What about REM's everybody hurts? That can be counted as 3/4 (if you take each picked note as 1)....but also 4/4 (if you take each picked note as the first of three). Do it in your head now to see what I mean.

I have played all of these time signatures before on piano and saxophone, but still find them awkward to figure out from listening. A lot of the time it is very obvious with 3/4's and 4/4's...but I am talking about the 2/4's and 6/8's here.

Anyone any ideas?

Advertisement