Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tower Hobbies & Revo

Options
  • 13-12-2005 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Don't tell my wife but I just placed an order for the Revo through Tower Hobbies.

Did any body use them before?
    I just ordered the Revo only what else do I need????
    If I need any thing else where in IE could I buy?

Lots of questions I know - impulse buy!!

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I just bought a Revo tonight from guy in Dublin { Thanks for pointing me towards it Colin ;)}
    anyway. a m8 of mine has bought a few bits from Tower Hobbies with no probs.
    as far as i know all you will need is some "AA" batteries for the handset and some Nitro.
    Whereabouts in Cork are you ?
    probably unlikely that you will get it before Christmas.. but then again you never know as i have got goods from Hong Kong faster than I got stuff from the UK recently. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I bought my T-Maxx from Tower. It took exactly 4 weeks (air mail) to arrive, but I think lately they have an expedited courier service as well, but it's really expensive though.

If you're new to nitro you'll need loads of things, viz.

8 x AA NiMH for the transmitter
    Fuel
    WD40 or other after-run oil
    Tools (hexdrivers, screwdrivers, etc)
    Zipties
    Spare glow plugs
    Temp gauge
    7.2V battery for EZ Start
    Fuel bottle
    Caddy to carry all this around

And then pretty soon you'll start messing with all the nice-to-have hop-ups (€€€) and some more gizmos and gadgets...

Enjoy your truck!

BTW it's a bad time of the year for r/c, wait till spring/summer. WHOAAA!!!
    My Maxx is pretty much in storage at the moment. Waiting for my new Revo wheels and tyres and Sirio BB pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 WebDesignCork

Thanks lads

So what I need is :

Fuel
    Zipties
    Spare glow plugs
    Temp gauge
    Fuel bottle

BTW - I paid $100 for over night shipping - got an email earlier - Revo will be shipped today!

Any where in Cork I can get these?
    OR
    anybody have them second hand ?

UPS just rang me - Its been delivered tomorrow

Price update
    Revo cost me $551 about €465 thats including the $100 shipping

Ups want €13.50 to deliver - thats ok
    BUT
    Fecking Customs want just under €100

I can hardly sit down my arse is so sore!!

UPS just rang me - Its been delivered tomorrow

Price update
    Revo cost me $551 about €465 thats including the $100 shipping

Ups want €13.50 to deliver - thats ok
    BUT
    Fecking Customs want just under €100

I can hardly sit down my arse is so sore!!

so are you saying it is going to cost you.
    €465
    € 13.50
    €100
    €578.50 ??

• Advertisement

Thanks lads

So what I need is :

Fuel
    Zipties
    Spare glow plugs
    Temp gauge
    Fuel bottle

BTW - I paid $100 for over night shipping - got an email earlier - Revo will be shipped today!

Any where in Cork I can get these?
    OR
    anybody have them second hand ?

Fuel...Noel Barret Washington Street
    WD40 or other after-run oil...Any Car accessory shop for the WD40 or Noel Barret for the after run oil.
    Tools (hexdrivers, screwdrivers, etc)...."]...Any Car accessory shop
    Zipties...."]...Any Car accessory shop
    Spare glow plugs...Try Noel Barret again but I am not so sure if his ones are suitable for the revo
    Temp gauge... I dont have one but again try Noel Barret
    7.2V battery for EZ Start.. Noel Barret...This is the normal 7.2 volt stick pack with rc cars.
    Fuel bottleNoel Barret

One other thing which is VITAL... BUY A FAILSAFE...!!!Again try Noel Barret for this.

Where are you in Cork bud ?
    I may know of someone that could have some of the above for sale second hand etc.
    I can PM you with his number if you need it. ;)
    Cheers

€580 sounds about right. My T-Maxx was €400 all-in-all, but I opted for the $50 (If I remember correctly) shipping option, customs and VAT was about €90, An Post €10 to my doorstep.

T-Maxx wrote:
    My Maxx is pretty much in storage at the moment. Waiting for my new Revo wheels and tyres and Sirio BB pipe.

Will the Revo wheels go straight on the T-Maxx..??
    I may buy a set for my son's Maxx seeing as they are so much nicer looking... :D
    Will the tyres from the Maxx fit those wheels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

"Ups want €13.50 to deliver - thats ok
    BUT
    Fecking Customs want just under €100"

You could have tried rining them to see if they would have stamped/wrote "Free Sample" on the parcel. No duty applided then, but some shops refuse to do this. Worth trying though...........

vectra wrote:
    so are you saying it is going to cost you.
    €465
    € 13.50
    €100
    €578.50 ??

YES:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

vectra wrote:
    Fuel...Noel Barret Washington Street
    WD40 or other after-run oil...Any Car accessory shop for the WD40 or Noel Barret for the after run oil.
    Tools (hexdrivers, screwdrivers, etc)...."]...Any Car accessory shop
    Zipties...."]...Any Car accessory shop
    Spare glow plugs...Try Noel Barret again but I am not so sure if his ones are suitable for the revo
    Temp gauge... I dont have one but again try Noel Barret
    7.2V battery for EZ Start.. Noel Barret...This is the normal 7.2 volt stick pack with rc cars.
    Fuel bottleNoel Barret

One other thing which is VITAL... BUY A FAILSAFE...!!!Again try Noel Barret for this.

Where are you in Cork bud ?
    I may know of someone that could have some of the above for sale second hand etc.
    I can PM you with his number if you need it. ;)
    Cheers

I'm in Little Isalnd

I'm in Little Isalnd

Plenty of industrial estates down there to mess around in.. ;)
    You can even get it NCT'd :D

syl77 wrote:
    "Ups want €13.50 to deliver - thats ok
    BUT
    Fecking Customs want just under €100"

You could have tried rining them to see if they would have stamped/wrote "Free Sample" on the parcel. No duty applided then, but some shops refuse to do this. Worth trying though...........

Remember there are 2 parts to the so-called customs charge, one being VAT @21%, the other being a customs and excise charge (depending on what exactly it is you're importing, for r/c stuff it's only 3.5% I think). Face it, what's fair is fair. Tower is above board and too big to try and take short cuts with customs. Forget about trying to con them into some "Free Sample" deal - won't work.

vectra wrote:
    Will the Revo wheels go straight on the T-Maxx..??
    I may buy a set for my son's Maxx seeing as they are so much nicer looking... :D
    Will the tyres from the Maxx fit those wheels ?

The wheels fit both Maxx and Revo (14mm hex).
    The tyres though are different sizes, so you'll have to change the wheel as well as the tyre. The Revo wheel is bigger and wider.

T-Maxx wrote:
    The wheels fit both Maxx and Revo (14mm hex).
    The tyres though are different sizes, so you'll have to change the wheel as well as the tyre. The Revo wheel is bigger and wider.

Cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

aww man that price is high, but i suppose its about right for getting it impoteed and blah de balh...
    i was going to get a t-maxx for x-mass but know i think i will hol out till my b-day in march so i can actualy run it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Halfords do the savage and the evo trucks in almost every outlet here. they do alot of parts too.
    Boyz toyz is ok too.they have a huge selection but you cant look at there stock to see what nice hop ups they have because there stored out back.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

T-Maxx wrote:
    I bought my T-Maxx from Tower. It took exactly 4 weeks (air mail) to arrive, but I think lately they have an expedited courier service as well, but it's really expensive though.

If you're new to nitro you'll need loads of things, viz.

8 x AA NiMH for the transmitter
    Fuel
    Zipties
    Spare glow plugs
    Temp gauge
    Fuel bottle
    Caddy to carry all this around.

I'm a traxxas owner my self and most nitro models come with or need the same stuff. If you look at the TRAXXAS web page you can read the owners manual and like my JATO manual it tells you what you need and what they supply.
    You get:
    Tools which include TRAXXAS T-Wrenches (allen keys)
    Glow plug and wheel nut wrench
    Shock wrench
    Turnbuckle wrench
    and plenty of others.
    You get a spare air filter and foam filter oil too.
    Required Tools and Equipment:
    Fuel
    12AA batteries, 8 for your transmitter and 4 for your reciever but the revo could come with a cell pack (rechargeable ones are pricer but you'll save in the long run)
    A 7.2V battery pack and charger for the EZ start. I priced the over here and you're talkin about €40-€50 I got mine with my car from a business on E-Bay for £15 sterling. PM me and I'll give u contact details if u want.
    A fuel bottle
    WD-40 is as good as any after run oil but it's up to u which you choose. A medium sized WD-40 will last u months
    A phillips screwdiver
    A small flat head (phase tester size is perfect) This is for your fuel?/idle needle settings and they say a hobby knife for putting on your decals but the slightest hint of a finger nail is sufficient.
    Spare glowplugs are'nt essential but there is a risk of pitting them during break in.

Anything else u get is just to convienience yourself really. ie temp gauge, spare tyres etc

PS when u get it check your tyres. Sometimes they come pre-glued sometimes not. Mine were but still one came off during a wheelie session. Super glue is sufficient for loose tyre walls

Hope this has helped
    John

ViperGTS wrote:
    Anything else u get is just to convienience yourself really. ie temp gauge, spare tyres etc
    Hope this has helped
    John

I take it that you class a "Failsafe" as something of convenience ?:rolleyes:

I suppose you would be right , ;)
    I think that it is very convenient to avoid you model running away on its own and hitting into some child or whatever when it is oput of range or when the batteries die in it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

vectra wrote:
    I take it that you class a "Failsafe" as something of convenience ?:rolleyes:

I suppose you would be right , ;)
    I think that it is very convenient to avoid you model running away on its own and hitting into some child or whatever when it is oput of range or when the batteries die in it. :eek:

Ever so sorry, a mishap on my behalf. A necessity more than a convienience

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A friend of mine had a monster truck go runaway in the Curragh a couple of years ago.
    Amazingly it neatly avoided all nearby obstacles and vanished into the distance.
    They had to follow 2 little wheel ruts in the grass for over an hour before catching up with it finally. Stuck in a gorse bush with the clutch burnt out, and an empty tank.
    But he was glad to have it back.
    May your receiver battery always be full !

Advertisement