Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket in Ireland/Pimp your Club!!!!

Options
123457

Comments

  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub


    Hey guys
    Just moved from s africa.played cricket when I was younger and want to start again.any clubs in or near donnybrook Dublin?
    Cheers

    Merrion's literally down the road - it's on Anglesea Rd near the RDS. Other options include Leinster in Rathmines, several clubs in Sandymount and Terenure in Terenure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1


    TrueDub wrote: »
    Hey guys
    Just moved from s africa.played cricket when I was younger and want to start again.any clubs in or near donnybrook Dublin?
    Cheers

    Merrion's literally down the road - it's on Anglesea Rd near the RDS. Other options include Leinster in Rathmines, several clubs in Sandymount and Terenure in Terenure.
    Many thanks for the reply
    Any idea when they play or if they have active websites?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub


    Many thanks for the reply
    Any idea when they play or if they have active websites?

    Drop down to them any Tuesday or Thursday evening, or any weekend day (assuming it's not raining). There'll always be somebody around. Most clubs have active websites too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy


    there are quite a few SA guys in Railway, check out their website
    www.railwayunioncricket.com, training Tues & Thurs 1st & 2nd team, wed 3-5th team, from 6pm onwards. Railway is good if you play other sports, as they have hockey, tennis, soccer and rugby to name a few other sports.
    hope you find a club and enjoy the cricket.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 youthcricket


    schools-promo-poster-800.jpg?w=452&h=640


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates


    2s0coe8.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates


    237918_Terenure%20CC%20Youth%20Flyer%20(free%20open%20days).jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1


    Hey guys, me again
    I emailed merrion as they are closest to where I live and was told it would cost me over 200€ to join. I couldn't join because the fee was a bit steep for me. I am not against paying but would rather join somewhere cheaper.
    Do you guys know of any cheaper clubs around Donnybrook?
    Thanks in advance


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO


    Hey guys, me again
    I emailed merrion as they are closest to where I live and was told it would cost me over 200€ to join. I couldn't join because the fee was a bit steep for me. I am not against paying but would rather join somewhere cheaper.
    Do you guys know of any cheaper clubs around Donnybrook?
    Thanks in advance

    I don't know the fees of the clubs around there but I wouldn't imagine any are cheaper than that. Your talking a host of senior clubs in that general area with developed facilities, coaching, great grounds that need serious maintaining etc. All these things cost money and that money has to come from somewhere which members subs are an essential part of.

    there are clubs around with lower fee structures. Sandyford which is my club for example is €150 or €75 for students/unemployed but then again we don't have as good a setup as the Railway's, Pembroke's or Merrion's of this world.

    FWIW I think €200 for Merrion is a very reasonable sub.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi


    I know of a few clubs around who charge less than that but who also charge a match fee, so you might end up paying €80/€100 up front, but will also pay €10 for every game that you play.

    Perhaps some clubs in the area will allow a payment plan, such as paying it off monthly be direct debit?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit


    Not to be rude to you Highcontrast but if you really expect to play a season of cricket for under €200 then I think you are being unrealistic. €200 for a club like Merrion is very reasonable. They have a lovely ground, great facilities and (I presume) some coaching as well.

    An alternative would be one of the new junior clubs who play in a much more spartan environment. Lucan, Castleknock, Adamstown et al all charge lower subs but don't have the surroundings, level of comfort and facility of the Merrion, Railway, Pembroke, Phoenix etc...

    The final alternative would be Taverners cricket. I've no idea what 'subs' are but I'd say it's a nominal fee and a small match fee for each game played so that could be an option.


  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1


    thank you for the replies. As i mentioned, I have no problem paying but only hoping for lesser fees. As I am unemployed there is no way I can afford over 200euro fees.
    It's has been a while since I last played and i want to know ask how competitive the league is? also what would be the lowest division as I think I'd better off starting off from there?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi


    thank you for the replies. As i mentioned, I have no problem paying but only hoping for lesser fees. As I am unemployed there is no way I can afford over 200euro fees.
    It's has been a while since I last played and i want to know ask how competitive the league is? also what would be the lowest division as I think I'd better off starting off from there?

    A lot of clubs will have a subscription rate for unemployed members, so if Merrion are charging €200 for a full sub then Id imagine you would end up paying closer to €100 (at a guess; I dont know Merrions subscription rates so I could be wrong).

    The leagues are getting very competative; we are facing teams in division 13 that wouldnt be far off the standard that we would have faced a few years ago in div 9/10. Division 14 is the lowest league. It depends on what level you played at before; I have been playing div 9 and below these past few seasons and if you have previous experience then you should be okay at that level. A club like Merrion would have teams in a few leagues anyway and would be able to offer a variety of levels for you to play at.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly


    Hi there, I'm looking to start up cricket and I was hoping if someone here could tell me where the Ballina Cricket Club or any other cricket clubs in Mayo are as I can't find them

    If this is in the wrong section, sorry and hopefully a mod can delete it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea


    Hi there, I'm looking to start up cricket and I was hoping if someone here could tell me where the Ballina Cricket Club or any other cricket clubs in Mayo are as I can't find them

    If this is in the wrong section, sorry and hopefully a mod can delete it.

    I looked up Ballina cricket club and was surprised by their great website and facilities unill i noticed it was actually Ballina in Australia:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi


    I did the same!

    Have to say I dont know anything about Ballina CC over here; even looking on Google doesnt really have any mention of them which I find odd. There is a Ballyhaunis Cricket Club; perhaps that is who you are thinking of?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly


    djimi wrote: »
    I did the same!

    Have to say I dont know anything about Ballina CC over here; even looking on Google doesnt really have any mention of them which I find odd. There is a Ballyhaunis Cricket Club; perhaps that is who you are thinking of?

    No, I heard of a Ballina Cricket somewhere before and I was just wondering. Does anyone know if there is on in Castlebar?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub


    No, I heard of a Ballina Cricket somewhere before and I was just wondering. Does anyone know if there is on in Castlebar?

    See the page below for all contacts for cricket clubs in Connacht.

    http://www.cricketireland.ie/get-involved/cricket-club-directory


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly


    TrueDub wrote: »
    See the page below for all contacts for cricket clubs in Connacht.

    http://www.cricketireland.ie/get-involved/cricket-club-directory

    Thank You very much! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty


    How welcoming/patient are clubs with beginners looking to learn/play? I "played" backyard cricket in Australia and was told I was a handy wicket keeper :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi


    I would have thought that most, if not all, clubs would be very welcoming of new members of all standards. Where abouts are you living? If you are beginner then perhaps look for a club that has a lower division (13/14) side, or maybe even a taverners team if you are looking to start out with some social cricket.


  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Snap Happy


    Just updating our info
    Especially as the Ladies are looking for new players for 2014.
    We welcome everyone to our club all you have to do is want to play Or even try playing) cricket.

    The Ladies training Monday nights in the Phoenix Park (Starting back around April) Ladies twitter :@phoenickers


    So here are come contact details etc.

    Email : phoenixccdublin@gmail.com

    Website : http://www.phoenixcricketclub.com/

    Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/phoenixcricketclubireland

    Twitter : @phoenixcricket
    Ladies Twitter : @phoenickers


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers


    djimi wrote: »
    I would have thought that most, if not all, clubs would be very welcoming of new members of all standards. Where abouts are you living? If you are beginner then perhaps look for a club that has a lower division (13/14) side, or maybe even a taverners team if you are looking to start out with some social cricket.


    I found this not to be the case when I joined a club in South Dublin two years ago. This particular club had 8 teams and a taverners and over the course of the season I only got to play three times. That worked out that I payed €100 per game for the pleasure of playing. The sixth through the eighth team contained approx. 75% of the same players, not giving new players such as myself a chance. I thought that if you played for a team, say the sixth, then you couldn't play for a lower team (7th or 8th) but this wasn't my experience. The captain of the eight team never once appeared at nets during the whole season so I suppose it wasn't really that much of a surprise that I wasn't picked, he probably didn't even know I existed!

    I would research the club you are thinking of joining as thoroughly as possible before joining as I felt that my membership fee was completely wasted for that year. There were some very nice people at the club but I thought it was a bit 'cliquey' when it came to picking teams.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO


    I found this not to be the case when I joined a club in South Dublin two years ago. This particular club had 8 teams and a taverners and over the course of the season I only got to play three times. That worked out that I payed €100 per game for the pleasure of playing. The sixth through the eighth team contained approx. 75% of the same players, not giving new players such as myself a chance. I thought that if you played for a team, say the sixth, then you couldn't play for a lower team (7th or 8th) but this wasn't my experience. The captain of the eight team never once appeared at nets during the whole season so I suppose it wasn't really that much of a surprise that I wasn't picked, he probably didn't even know I existed!

    I would research the club you are thinking of joining as thoroughly as possible before joining as I felt that my membership fee was completely wasted for that year. There were some very nice people at the club but I thought it was a bit 'cliquey' when it came to picking teams.

    That sounds like an awful experience altogether I however would say that's the exception and not the norm.

    We have a policy whereby every player must get picked before another can double up at a weekend. Other clubs like Adamstown's 3rds have a policy where everybody gets a game and gets a chance to bat and bowl.

    I do concede that some of the larger clubs appear to have a closed circle unless you have come up through the youth ranks.

    Anyway if your interested in getting lots of cricket playing time for a southside team and paying significantly less than you did last year drop me a PM we would be happy to have you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1


    I also had a similar experience but lucky for me I hadn't paid the sub. I'd be interested in joining a club this season (south side). Possibly lower divisions, any recommendations?
    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers


    D3PO wrote: »
    That sounds like an awful experience altogether I however would say that's the exception and not the norm.

    We have a policy whereby every player must get picked before another can double up at a weekend. Other clubs like Adamstown's 3rds have a policy where everybody gets a game and gets a chance to bat and bowl.

    I do concede that some of the larger clubs appear to have a closed circle unless you have come up through the youth ranks.

    Anyway if your interested in getting lots of cricket playing time for a southside team and paying significantly less than you did last year drop me a PM we would be happy to have you.


    Thanks for that offer. I've been playing indoor cricket in college and our coach has been telling me about his club so I think I'll give that a try this Summer and see how it goes. The sub is also significantly lower than what I paid before so it should suit me better. From what he says it looks like I'll get a lot more game time too and that's all I'm really looking for. I'll never be a division 1 player but I love the game and just want to play as much as possible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi


    The problem with even the lower leagues in the past couple of years is that the standard is such that there are times when you have no choice but to select your strongest XI (within the selection rules) or you risk getting hockeyed off the park, which is no fun for anyone involved, and frankly is not going encourage beginners (or anyone else for that matter!) to come back and play. There was a time when someone with little or no experience could play in the Junior divisions (certainly Junior B and C) and know that the standard will be appropriate against pretty much all sides, but those days seem to be over; nowadays you have to be very careful of which side you select based on the strength of the opposition.

    That said, nobody should be having issues getting games at a club with 8 sides (where the 8ths are going to be in Div 13/14). I would have thought that any club that is looking for 88 players of a weekend would be only too delighted to get as many available bodies as they possibly can!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers


    djimi wrote: »

    That said, nobody should be having issues getting games at a club with 8 sides (where the 8ths are going to be in Div 13/14). I would have thought that any club that is looking for 88 players of a weekend would be only too delighted to get as many available bodies as they possibly can!

    That was why I joined a larger club as I thought that with so many teams there would be a better chance of getting a game. It just turned out that it wasn't the case. That's why I would advise anyone joining a club for the first time to do as much research as possible (talk to people to see what selection policies are like, is there much chance of being selected etc.) before committing sub money.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO


    djimi wrote: »
    The problem with even the lower leagues in the past couple of years is that the standard is such that there are times when you have no choice but to select your strongest XI (within the selection rules) or you risk getting hockeyed off the park, which is no fun for anyone involved, and frankly is not going encourage beginners (or anyone else for that matter!) to come back and play. There was a time when someone with little or no experience could play in the Junior divisions (certainly Junior B and C) and know that the standard will be appropriate against pretty much all sides, but those days seem to be over; nowadays you have to be very careful of which side you select based on the strength of the opposition.

    That said, nobody should be having issues getting games at a club with 8 sides (where the 8ths are going to be in Div 13/14). I would have thought that any club that is looking for 88 players of a weekend would be only too delighted to get as many available bodies as they possibly can!

    totally agree Djimi. The standard has certainly risen over the past few years but that said a club with 8 teams need to have an inclusiveness policy at some point in the clubs selection ladder.

    Whilst the standard has risen a new player to the game in Div 13/14 wouldn't be the difference between a team being competitive or getting hockeyed off the park.

    Anyway glad you got a club Monkeybookers.

    High contrast. Ive dropped you a PM if your interested in coming out to winter nets with us soon and see how you like things.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers


    D3PO wrote: »
    Monkeybookers.

    Makes me sound like an online payment site OR some kind of circus talent agency!! :D

    Here's a poem I wrote in honour of this name. It's about Andy Serkis, an actor known more for playing monkeys than playing human characters.

    If you're looking for a monkey
    And you need a monkey man
    Call Andy Serkis - monkey
    The handy monkey man

    He'll bring life to your monkey
    As only Andy can
    Andy Serkis - monkey
    The monkey man who can


Advertisement