Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Recommendations...

Options
  • 30-11-2005 5:28pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, two I want to hit are:

Debra Ireland and Barretstown.

I reckon we can hit at least 5 this year and I'm open to suggestions. If you are involved with these charities, don't be shy, all the better that we know from a boardster that they are good guys!

So, anyone got any more places that could do with some christmas pressies?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

http://www.bubblegumclub.ie/
    A great charity to consider.

Thanks.
    Ste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

PunK05 wrote:
    http://www.bubblegumclub.ie/
    A great charity to consider.

Thanks.
    Ste.

Agreed .

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Agreed but what to get them? They are a periodic charity of sorts with no fixed location to supply xboxes and/or that kind of thing.
    What could we do for them apart from just handing over cash?

Zaph could give them a shout and see, or if you guys know of anything they might like as a pressie for xmas, let me know :)

DeV.

Well thats it maybe someone could contact them and see if there is anything that they need as such , i wouldnt be happy just handing over money.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'll add them to my call list and give them a shout on Monday. I don't know how these places operate with staff at weekends and I want to make sure I get the right people from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cool. Thanks Zaph.

DeV.

Eh also , after i saw a advert for this on tv i checked out the website and i would love to help these guys out please . http://www.barnardos.ie/

Well if the big guy OKs it I'll add them to the list for Monday.

zaph wrote:
    Well if the big guy OKs it I'll add them to the list for Monday.

Sure ring that and see what the sitution is anyway ? They are one of the best childrens Charitys in Ireland and they help poor kids , what is better then helping someone less fortunate then us at xmas !

OK, been in touch with Debra Ireland and the Bubblegum Club and sent them links to the SSF website and the Amazon wishlists. Was on to Barretstown but the guy I need to speak to wasn't around and I missed his return call. I'll talk to him in the morning. I'll post updates and PM the relevent parties as soon as I have more.

While I'm sure there'll be no problem with Barnardos, I want an official OK before I call them as I don't want to suggest to anybody that we'll be helping them out and then find we haven't the resources to do so. As soon as DeV says OK I'll be on to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭solicitous

If your mention of Barretstown was the same as this:

http://www.britishembassy.ie/textonly/press/barretstown_marks_int_cancer_day.html

Then I'm with you on that one.
    I have a weak spot for sick children. I'm not saying adults going through cancer go through any less trauma, it just doesnt seem right at all. The kids need to be talked to by therapists in order to help them to understand what is going on with their little bodies. I have a friend who is an Onconologist, and he tells me from time to time when he has 'lost' a sick child he had under his care for some time.

**Please excuse the typo in the heading, knackered here!**

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Childrens Ward in Cork University Hospital regularly has fundraisers for toys for the children - how about it ?

solicitous wrote:
    If your mention of Barretstown was the same as this:

http://www.britishembassy.ie/textonly/press/barretstown_marks_int_cancer_day.html

Then I'm with you on that one.
    I have a weak spot for sick children. I'm not saying adults going through cancer go through any less trauma, it just doesnt seem right at all. The kids need to be talked to by therapists in order to help them to understand what is going on with their little bodies. I have a friend who is an Onconologist, and he tells me from time to time when he has 'lost' a sick child he had under his care for some time.

**Please excuse the typo in the heading, knackered here!**

Yep, that's the same crowd solicitous, they do great work and are well deserving of any help we can give them.

Parsi, I don't know what the story is about helping places outside Dublin, not that they're any less deserving, but logistics may be an issue. Best bet is to PM DeV and see what he says as he seems a bit busy at the moment and may not check here as often as he'd like.

Finally managed to get hold of Barnardos today (unfortunately I was sent on a last minute course for most of last week and wasn't around during working hours). The girl there said she'd get back to me as soon as possible, so I'll keep you posted.

No replies from Debra ireland or Bubblegum Club yet, so I'll contact them again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

our ladys hospital ?????? i have to say they need all they can get ,As they do a great job...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'd like to recommend St Joseph's school for the blind in Drumcondra.
    More specifically their pre-school service (http://www.stjosephsvi.ie/preschool.html) which caters for kids with visual problems below primary school age. I know they don't get any goverment funding for their pre school as an ex of mine works there.
    They're always having arffles, quizzes etc so I'm sure they'd be glad of anything the SSF could give them for the kids !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

dubdvd wrote:
    our ladys hospital ?????? i have to say they need all they can get ,As they do a great job...
    Done and Done large load of stuff deliverd to a ver y happy head nurse a few hours ago.

Can i get a full update on what happened with all the money. Just to give me a feel good factor :)

Advertisement