Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU - yay or nay

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77716481&postcount=5
    The members of the ERB are

Chris Sloane
    Colm Fitzgerald
    Derek Daly
    Sarah Jane Hennelly
    Claire Gallery
    Fr. John Campion
    Callista Bennis
    And there is one other person who is the chairperson but i dont know who that is

source : http://www.ulsuelect.com/?p=285

what you lying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

I will just say, I sat in the SU Exec meeting when people were put forward for the ERB, Derek was not put on it. Unless things changed after that, ulsuelect may have gotten their information wrong. As far as I am aware however, he wasn't on it.

With regards the campaigns, I just thought there wasn't as much as a buzz as there has been other years, mainly down to the campaign teams/the ideas/the weather.

I think the SU did a lot more this year than they have other years, but that is just from my own personal experience. I was a bit dismayed that posters regarding the elections weren't put up sooner before voting day. I think they went up the day of or the day before, I could be wrong though.

It would appear, strangely to me anyway, that people on the campaign teams think they are the best judge of whether they were more intense last year or this year. Of course if you were running for election last year you'd think there was more hype about it. Everyone that campaigned this year and last year also had completely different roles, either as campaign manager as a clear favourite or campaign manager as a clear underdog the following year. i think you all suffer from perceptive bias and evidence should be struct from the record.

It's pretty obvious to me that the Derek Daly sabbatical team cohort had completely demoralised that student body that people that would have voted in previous years were even more put off.

Does Derek Daly's 'a lot done, more to do' attitude remind you of any other former FF scheming politicians?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Some of Derek's posts on the forum here have left an awful lot to be desired.
    I'm glad he's leaving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Unless things changed after that, ulsuelect may have gotten their information wrong.

Just looking at the post, the emails from the SU clearly state that Derek Daly was on the ERB. The original source of info was the SU.

I think the SU did a lot more this year than they have other years, but that is just from my own personal experience. I was a bit dismayed that posters regarding the elections weren't put up sooner before voting day. I think they went up the day of or the day before, I could be wrong though.
    I was surprised that people didn't avail more of the Friday, or of the extended weekend, for building a web presence. For all of this talk about cost, online is free.

• Advertisement

I will just say, I sat in the SU Exec meeting

You sat in on? Or were you part of SU exec?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Derek didn't sit on the ERB.

I did however, sit on the ERB as a class rep, and while a cap on spending was proposed, it was not implemented. It would have been difficult enough to police.

I was told it was more of a gentlemens agreement by the candidates/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I was told it was more of a gentlemens agreement by the candidates/

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Having done a little searching:
    Polar Ice wrote: »
    I was surprised that people didn't avail more of the Friday, or of the extended weekend, for building a web presence. For all of this talk about cost, online is free.

Yes, the union did advertise the elections, but they only started doing so on Thusday the 20th of March, when the voting started on the morning of the 22nd.

I even posting about this at the time:
    Polar Ice wrote: »
    Why has the Students' Union website not updated to reflect the candidates running for election?

boards.ie has a listing of candidates,
    ulsuelect.com has a listing of candidates (with links to their online campaign materials)
    ulsu.ie doesn't?
    anfocal.ie doesn't?
    On the bank holiday Monday, 4 days after nominations had closed, several non ULSU websites had full candidates online for multiple days. The Students' Union only announced the candidates on the Tuesday 20 March here. A ULSU email was sent later on Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM to all students informing them of the elections... but Tuesday @ 7:54pm was only about 48 hours before voting ended, let alone started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

well the su co was on holiday that week as was the cao

• Advertisement

Yeah what do you think of that derek daly, your campaigns officer and communications officer on a weeks holiday during election week, surely that would have something to do with poor turnout. do you not think you should have picked up the slack?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

cambridge wrote: »
    Yeah what do you think of that derek daly, your campaigns officer and communications officer on a weeks holiday during election week, surely that would have something to do with poor turnout. do you not think you should have picked up the slack?

I'm pretty sure you'd have a lot more to complain about if they weren't on "a weeks holiday". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Jester252 wrote: »
    everybody just walk away

The single best thread on the UL forum.

Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bogshepherd

SU seems to exist more to serve itself and its active members rather than the students as a whole. As a previous active member I can attest to this.

I'm not hating on the SU but I think the opinion that the general population of UL have is a negative one, so why is this?

just a culture of cowboyism and cronyism in the su.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

cambridge wrote: »
    just a culture of cowboyism and cronyism in the su.
    Sorry, couldn't resist this. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGo8zXLg_8Y

Advertisement