Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU - yay or nay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DeclansKidney

I think it's a vicious circle.
    People want to get involved, myself included, but they can't because it's such a cliquey group. And as you say it's like this because nobody else will get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Hey Declan,

What sort of way would you be interested in getting involved? We're mad to get more people in there :)

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

tallahasse_zombie_thread.jpg&w=537&h=445&ei=T4qhT4tfiLeFB4yu_ZoI&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=235&sig=102995574672685660881&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=181&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:129&tx=110&ty=65
    as woody would say let's keep things in the present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Carol.Lillie

hi adam and declan,

if you want to get involved with the su i recommend you get yourself a high-viz jacket and go around the library shushing people talking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

hi adam and declan,

if you want to get involved with the su i recommend you get yourself a high-viz jacket and go around the library shushing people talking.

I'd say Adam has bigger plans than that for getting involved... :pac:

• Advertisement

hi adam and declan,

What section of the library are you in? You do know there is a silent section, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

hi adam and declan,

You must not be too busy if you have time to be ranting here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Interesting that the OPs brother was SU President at the time of posting and that the OP was subsequently a sabbatical officer.

Adam_M wrote: »
    Hey Declan,

What sort of way would you be interested in getting involved? We're mad to get more people in there :)

Adam

Love to actually organise and get more music/comedy gigs into the college and not have that exclusive to RAG week as it seems of recent years.

It always seems that other colleges have much bigger acts at much more frequent occasions than UL. I mean, NUIM got Calvin Harris last September and they would be on a similar par to UL numbers wise (open to be corrected on that).

Bands like fight like apes, delorentos have played and i'm sure would be easy to get them. Add in more up and coming Irish acts and you'd be sorted.

I understand there is a financial element to it but if the tickets are a reasonable price and it's advertised well (which has been a problem in the last year I've noticed) they can be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Love to actually organise and get more music/comedy gigs into the college and not have that exclusive to RAG week as it seems of recent years.

This. We need more gigs, preferably from more up-and-coming Irish acts, mixed with a few "big" names (Senekah, for example). If we promote these right, then the financial aspect will be easily dealt with.

• Advertisement

It always seems that other colleges have much bigger acts at much more frequent occasions than UL. I mean, NUIM got Calvin Harris last September and they would be on a similar par to UL numbers wise (open to be corrected on that).

Bands like fight like apes, delorentos have played and i'm sure would be easy to get them. Add in more up and coming Irish acts and you'd be sorted.

I understand there is a financial element to it but if the tickets are a reasonable price and it's advertised well (which has been a problem in the last year I've noticed) they can be a success.

Some brilliant ideas. With regards to the comedy gigs, it's something that has been suggested. I recall when I was in 1st year and the Union ran a series of 4 comedy gigs, which were pretty much all sell-outs. Get people away from a drinking aspect and once they break even, it looks fantastic for the Union.

I'd also love to work with the comedy soc as well. The gig they ran in Scholars, earlier in the year was brilliant.

With regards to the bands, I completely agree they we need to aim big and then work in some up and coming bands, preferably from UL. I've mentioned a few to our Ents officer, Keith, and he's looking into them.

Keep the ideas coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Not to blow my own trumpet, but don't forget to tap into local resources when looking for bands to play as support. The Music Soc have a few bands on the roster that would love to play any type of gig!

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Not to blow my own trumpet, but don't forget to tap into local resources when looking for bands to play as support. The Music Soc have a few bands on the roster that would love to play any type of gig!

One of the main things I was pushing was more cooperation with C&S. Each and everyone is unique and can offer a great resource to the SU, which has really been untapped.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This. We need more gigs, preferably from more up-and-coming Irish acts, mixed with a few "big" names (Senekah, for example). If we promote these right, then the financial aspect will be easily dealt with.

We should get the president of the music soc onto that ASAP... :P :P

But yeah, definitely needs to be more gigs on campus. I'm not even talking big names, just SOMETHING other than Open Mic and Hermitage Green(no disrespect to either of these btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

I always thought it was the location. Not as many acts visit Limerick as Dublin and it's very difficult to entice them across. Like all the dublin colleges just try and book acts that they know in advance will be in dublin or london, very rarely a university atracts a biggish act on its own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I kind of don't understand this.... I might be 540 years old but I remember playing bass in a babd when I was 18 and we broke our BALLS to get to play places.
    Surely the "up and coming" comedy/music/pole dancers of the moment shoud be trying to make their way into one of the biggest colleges in the country.

Unless they think we're skinflints? - which, let's be honest has been proven to be the truth in the past.....

This idea that the SU is some kind of distant hierarchy that can tell the average student with a proven and distinct voice and calling THEM a clique because STUDENTS don't DEMAND representation is absolutely abhorent to me.

Get out, get a job and see what a union can and does do for you and keep bitching about how little "they" do on boards.ie instead of unzipping up your fly and stating what YOU want (regardless of whether it agrees with the populous).
    No union is there to invite you in and hug you and ask you how your day has been - you need to tell them what you expect of them and they are WELL WITHIN THEIR REMIT to tell you that you make a fair and supported point or that you are f**king high

Make your own effort and stop bitching about how little the Romans have ever done for you...

except...

except...

except....

Nice to see you using boards as a way of communicating with the student body as well Adam. The last year has really seen it be used as a way to defend itself and insult some members of boards.ie/students, and whether warrented or not, it shouldn't be that.
    So I'm glad that you're using it for positive means. A lot of people here have said that not enough people physically go into the SU to voice their opinions but this really isn't viable for 10,000+ students to be in and out of the office (not really the Irish way either). So a forum like this is best served to garner ideas from students.

Maybe you should start an ideas thread ahead of next semester Adam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Carol.Lillie

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'd say Adam has bigger plans than that for getting involved... :pac:

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

???

He's SU president elect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    He's SU president elect

So basically, that SU you newbies love to complain about has been commandeered by him and he will shortly take his place as official commander, overseer and almighty ruler :)

Before Antisoc see this, I am kidding. He was fairly and duly elected :P

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    Before Antisoc see this, I am kidding. He was fairly and duly elected :P

Of course he was fairly elected! Those rumours of savage beatings and kidnapping of UL Students' families were just that! Rumours. :P

There, I did what you asked Adam, can I have my guinea pig back now? :(

Of course he was fairly elected! Those rumours of savage beatings and kidnapping of UL Students' families were just that! Rumours. :P

Exactly! Rumours!

(Can I have my parents back now Adam, you are elected) :P

EDIT: Damn it wnolan, you changed your post, now it looks like I was just copying you :(

Guys, guys, guys - Everyone is safe and well and all the relevant parties will be returned as soon as possible.

Mwhahahahah little do they know I have wnolan's guinea pig running flat out to supply free energy to the Union and I have Sup_Dude's parents making chicken fillet rolls in the shop free of charge. My empire is being built, one kidnapping at a time.

sup_dude wrote: »
    EDIT: Damn it wnolan, you changed your post, now it looks like I was just copying you :(

You did copy me in fairness though didn't you? :P :P
    Guys, guys, guys - Everyone is safe and well and all the relevant parties will be returned as soon as possible.

Mwhahahahah little do they know I have wnolan's guinea pig running flat out to supply free energy to the Union and I have Sup_Dude's parents making chicken fillet rolls in the shop free of charge. My empire is being built, one kidnapping at a time.

Sneaky fecker! Lucky I quoted the post! :pac:

EDIT: Added "Will use white text to hide his agenda from the student population." to Adam's dossier...

I would have got away with it if it weren't for them meddling kids, and their darn dog Guinea Pig too!

You did copy me in fairness though didn't you? :P :P

No, no of course not *looks around innocently* :pac:

I would have got away with it if it weren't for them meddling kids, and their darn dog Guinea Pig too!

What madness is this?! :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Ha, started reading this thread, usual stuf - people moaning about the SU and talking about how it is out of touch with students, did'nt realise they were talking about the SU 7 years ago till I got to the end of the page.

Some things never change:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Ha, started reading this thread, usual stuf - people moaning about the SU and talking about how it is out of touch with students, did'nt realise they were talking about the SU 7 years ago till I got to the end of the page.

Some things never change:rolleyes:
    How people will always bitch about the SU and not do anything to improve it.

How the SU is still out of touch with students.

God this fourm is a one hit wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Well it is in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ULSU may be out of touch with you, but unless you come and tell us how to get in touch with you, the problem will never be resolved.

For all the issues and problems ULSU has had this year, it has never been more in touch with students.

This is the first year in ULSU's recent history where officers (not for election or campaign purposes) have left the building with the specific intent of talking to students about their concerns.

Whatever boards.ie says, I know that my team has made more effort than any in the recent past to heal that disconnect, just because we're not meeting you doesn't mean we're not meeting ordinary students.

Advertisement