Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is templebar good for arts and culture?

• 19-11-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

what do people really think of templebar for arts and culture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Why don't you put a bit of thought into your contribution here and tell us what you think about Temple Bar for arts and culture, going into detail about what you do and/or don't like about the area and then looking for feedback on it, instead of just firing up a fairly empty non-substantial one-liner question post?

Me, I don't live in Dublin any more, so I can't comment on what it's like these days, but I always used to enjoy wandering through Temple Bar of a summer evening on my way to my train home. There's a few times I got caught up in a crowd watching a magic act, a musician or some other form of live street theatre - and one time where I ended up being used, along with another crowd member, as a participant (prop) in a magic act... which was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Temple bar has many amenities for Art and culture. Temple Bar Music Centre, The Ark, The Project Theatre, Production House (a training centre for young actors) and The Contemporary Music Centre all contribute to the art and culture of Temple Bar. In Meeting House Square there are often performance pieces and in Temple Bar square the comedian Dave mcSavage regularly [strike]gets beaten up for offending a passer by[/strike] performs. Around Temple Bar itself there are many buskers and musicians.

So yes, I'd say Temple Bar is a good place for art and culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thatboypip

Bard, your right- i apologise, hate to tell the truth but i'm just a college student writin' an essay on temple bar and thought i'd get a few opinions to get a well rounded essay. . .
    I know, "cheeky monkey"! -sorry!
    For me temple bar is good right now, but can anyone guess what its gonna be like in say 5years time? Temple Bar Music Center is fairly bad, IFI is good but better be careful it doesn't get overshadowed by UGC now cattering to foreign cinema-the outdoor cinema things a nice idea though. the gallerys are all right but very hit and miss, the ark gets better by the year, dave mc savage's a jerk, resteraunts are good, the project shows quality plays, fingers crossed that filmbase can keep its head above water and that people will some day find out what it acctualy does, some good vintage music shops and clothes shops and lets hope we start to see some nice new foreign divisty seeping in-that'd be neat.
    so that's what i think- sorry for bein' such a cheeky bugger, won't happen again...:(

There was a program on Temple Bar on RTE last night. It used to be quite a deprived and run-down area until the Temple Bar renewal scheme began. There are some lovely markets there. The food market in Meeting House Square on Saturdays has some gorgeos food and there are some beautiful arts, crafts and furniture in the Cow's Lane market.

I have never been to the outdoor cinema, is it any good?

Depending on how much money is put into the area, Temple Bar could go many ways in the next five years. On one hand it could be real cultural quarter full of artists, but in the other hand it could be even more overrun by the Central Bank Kids and The Junkies.

I hope though that it will remain to be a place where people can go for a bit of craic and to experience something different and unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Check out the Arthouse in Curved Street. It's derelict. That sums up the level of the arts in Temple Bar. As for culture: Take a look at O' Carrolls Irish Souvenir Gift shop at Merchants Arch or Boomerangs nite club on Fleet Street, any weekend at 2:30AM.

Put it this way... Funderland has a better level of arts and culture.

S.

• Advertisement

You've obviously never been properly around Temple Bar tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thatboypip

okay, so the essays done and dustied, and indeed now i am the source of all knowledge in regards to "the instigation of cultural policy in regards to the regeneration and conservation of the temple bar area"

i can safely tell you that the whole situation is fairly weak in regards to arts and culture mainly because it's greatly over shadowed by its bar and pub culture. From what was originally the plan back in 1991 to what is inplace today is certainly different and this is largly due to Temple Bar Plannings complete lack of envolvement with the pubs of the area. The area was meant to give young artist affordable space for studios, but prices soared, artists moved out, pubs went in. and people welcomed pubs because they brought more money.

i'm not saying weather this is good or bad- temple bar is an all-rite place on a good nite- but as a cultureral quater;its n embarrisement. Places like the designyard, viking adventure and arthouse closing in less the ten years is a joke- and just all in all-its sad to see how much potential could have been and what we have today.

and for the future (so as to maintaint the area as the capitals cultural quater)... plans to install a giant helium-filled balloon that will carry up to 30 sightseers 700 feet above the city that will placed in the Liffey. - thats gonna do it...:p he-he!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Piste wrote:
    You've obviously never been properly around Temple Bar tbh.

I can remember what Temple Bar was like 20 years ago... It was run down, neglected, and shabby. But there was a great vibe in the place and it had genuine character and loads of culture. Unfortunately, the so-called regeneration which took place in the early 90's sold that for what we have today. A massive pub industury which is protected by a phoney arts culture. Sad but true...

Thatboypip, sounds like you wrote a great essay. I hope you get an A.

Advertisement