Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Good Men (or Women).

Options
  • 17-11-2005 9:28pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need a couple of people to help. Over the last two years I've had a lot of helpers and the fact is that for all but a few days of hideous stress this charity really kinda runs itself. Which is nice cos I'm a lazy slob who likes to take the easy route :)

I need a couple of people though and I have a few of them already. this year I've decided to mostly do it in the style of fantasy characters :)

1. Elves.
    Henbane and DapperGent have stepped up to the mark already and I'm happy about that. They will manage the online lists on Amazon and other places. Details will be up shortly (according to Henbane).

2. Charity Officer Liason.
    This is a post we didnt have last year and it was missed.
    This person's job is to contact the various charities we target and arrange delivery and also find out if there is anything in the entertainment line specifically we might get for them.
    Does this mean they know we're coming? Yes, but we'll maintain our anonimity as best we can, the problem is that while find it a hoot to arrive with boxes of gifts, it has in the past put the major willies up some charities. The computer we bought for Barretstown almost ended up in a cop shop! :)

3. Sleigh Drivers.
    At least two people have suggested they can deliver presents for us. I have asked them to look out for this thread and officially sign up just because they werent entirely sure at the time.
    This job requires that at some stage close to xmas you will come to my flat in Ballsbridge and collect a load of goodies and deliver them to the location you are assigned. If one target is easier for you then others please let me know.

5. A Gnome.
    Its about time this became more formal and transparent. I need an accountant or at least advice on what I should be doing with accounts and registering as a charity etc. We have already passed the amount raised two years ago and I feel uncomfortable simply having all this go through my hands without anything official behind me.

4. Grunts.
    Ok, there's no other way to say it!
    I need arms and legs, last year we had a blast with the team and it was fun but theres a good deal of lifting and laying to do on one day and we need muscle. Traditionally the Grunt team will head to the pub afterwards and feel good about ourselves while killing any remaining stray braincells. "We aren't real smart but we can lift heavy things"

5. Grunt Enforcer.
    Amp has been my right hand man in a lot of the ugly hard work behind the scenes (I mean, half his flat disappears in December, I guess he has no choice!). Amp will be coordinating the deliveries to here and the "grunt" team on the day.

6. Head Grunt.
    That would be me. I'll try and coordinate the money, the events and the team. After that, I'll turn into muscle on the day (one itty bitty muscle) and lift stuff.

7. Minstrels.
    Papa Smut has arranged for an evening of questionable entertainment and debauchery. Think Boardstock but with a few things thrown in. Proceeds to the charity and it should be a graet evening. More about that in a while.

I may yet come up with other positions I need but right now its mostly Grunts and Sleigh Drivers I need, along with one committed person who can phone around a good bit as Liason Officer.

DeV.
    Proud to be a grunt!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

6foot6 grunt signing up fer service icon_salute.gif

Same as last year, gimme a time and date, and I'll do my best:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Im going to help out best i can with getting presents off my employer , hopefully i can organise a few phones maybe or even ipods :rolleyes: eh other then that , id love to help give out the presents.So basically im signing up for anything i can help in :) muscle , delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

I see the ssf logo etc. I made for ya is still up on the site there, and I just checked and the bits and bobs of graphics I put together back then are still up where I left them: http://tcal.net/ssf/ (lol at the pam fund dynamic image - it says days to go -360 something...)

Not so much fitting into any of your categories then, but as ever will be happy to help out in the logos, tshirts or any other requirements for printed or webable goods etc. if you want me. if you've already got someone spiffy to do this stuff, no worries.

With your permission I'll also add an SSF link to TCAL as I did last year, though I'd say it will amount to 3 or 4 extra hits at most. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'll help too. As a willing Grunt, though there might be a sleigh I can borrow depending on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Count me in as a possible sleigh driver. It depends on how the driving test goes on wednesday :P If i pass, count me in! If i don't.... well, anyone mind driving with a guy who's failed his test? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I'll do some sleigh driving and a bit of grunting or anything else mildly useful while I'm there. VW Caddy van or possibly something bigger if I can blag it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'll grunt (and maybe even heave and ho) if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Hi all just got word back today that i got two phones from o2 , so they are been sent down to me at the moment , should go some way to making someone happy this xmas :) eh im going to arrange a donation from the lads i work with to maybe get a shuffle / nano as well

so far ive two new phones
    and trying to arrange another item :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Signing up for grunt duty, let me know what you need and when

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Looks like you're still shy a Liaison Officer, so CLO Zaph reporting for duty, Sah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I have a medium sized van with room for two passengers in the front if you need a sleigh for deliveries or just need stuff picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I'm at the other side of the country, anything besides donating I can do?

Edit: Willing to go up to Dublin to be a grunt. Not all that big and strong but i'm very determined and love good old lifting work! God and to think I can't find a job...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

One 6ft 3 Grunt reporting For Duty.......

Still have The DVD recorder from Last year, Untouched, and At Least one copy of Star wars Ep 3,

May be Able to get my hands on Discounted Books, abit second hand, But in Fantastic Condition

also dev, If you want to Get SSF on T:fm again, Just give me the Nod, we are on the Air Next week....

heh, i said duty.....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great! Thanks guys, I'll be taking you all up on your offers.
    Zaph, as soon as we have a list of charities we'll get you started making contact with them and arranging items etc.

Henbane, Dapper, we're gonna need lists! I think Henbane is working on that already.

Sleigh Drivers and Grunts are all welcome.

I'll be away for 4 days but should have access.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Would be happy to offer my services as a sleigh driver. I have access to a commercial sleighvan if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Can you add a link to the gig in the announcement pweese Dev?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054850690

poll added to gauge interest.

venue and date confirmed.

The Hub, Temple Bar on 22nd Dec.

Yay! I'm just happy to be a minstrel :) I don't think I should wear the boot polish tho' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I can do grunt work, or preferably the anonymous charity liason guy.
    Ive done charity work before and as such have loads of contacts with Irish charities and irish offices of international charities.

Basically Im a poor college student, and can do anything excepting donate money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I'll sign up to be a grunt ;)
    Could possibly be a sleigh driver too depending on the dates involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Grunt or grunt organiser (not so good on the heavy lifting, but good at telling - ah requesting people to do things)
    sure we can organise a small sleigh ride too.
    Lynski

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Do you wrap the presents? I have a fantastic talent for wrapping... and I want to do *something* to help out. Though, I'd imagine there is a lot of stuff to be wrapped... and maybe it's the present more than the wrapping thats important. But I'd gladly spend a whole day wrapping presents.

Well, lettuce know if ya do need someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Jesjes wrote:
    Do you wrap the presents? I have a fantastic talent for wrapping... and I want to do *something* to help out. Though, I'd imagine there is a lot of stuff to be wrapped... and maybe it's the present more than the wrapping thats important. But I'd gladly spend a whole day wrapping presents.

Well, lettuce know if ya do need someone.

Oh yea, I'd definitely help JesJes on this one. Wouldnt be too great on the heavy lifting but i can tie a mean ribbon!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I don't normally wrap the pressies as they arent given to the kids they are given to the charities to maximise their impact on all kids in their care. And the volumes we are talking about are nuts.

Tom.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

If you wanted a bit of publicity for the gig I could arrange for an interview with someone on Anna Livia (not me, I've left there but I still have contacts) and/or an announcement/interview on Dublin South FM.

Not big stations I know but you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No probs - I'll do sleigh driving ..

If you wanted a bit of publicity for the gig I could arrange for an interview with someone on Anna Livia (not me, I've left there but I still have contacts) and/or an announcement/interview on Dublin South FM.

Not big stations I know but you never know...

That sounds cool! PM me if you can swing this.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

well done devore, a champion for bringing a little something to the less unfortunate.Where can we donate presents. Do ye collect cloths and so forth?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

any rough idea when sleigh driving will be needed?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

And Grunts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

My job has some presents left over, ones that were brought in late and couldnt be sent to africa, they're willing to give to SSF, but what offical details/contacts should I give them?

Advertisement