Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway

Options
  • 21-10-2004 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Me and the Ol Doll are headed to Galway Tuesday 26th. Whats good clubbing wise Tues, Weds and Thurs? Something not charty, but somewhat jazzy, hiphop or housey?

Also, good, affordable restaurants - pizza, indian, steak?

Staying in the Quality Ryan, so grand and close to the City centre. What good bars are there ( I wont be going to that idiot who tried to break the smoking ban place).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm.. if you want jazzy/funky, check out the blue note pub.. very very nice place, im not sure if they still do but they used to do pitchers of beers..
    Cuba bar is quite nice too for a jazzy/soul vibe..

nightclub wise... I quite liked boo radleys, (but many people didn't).. cuba is a pretty safe bet, downstairs has pretty decent dance/chart stuff i think, and upstairs is kinda alternative rock stuff.

Jesus, it's been so long since I've been out in galway those are the only two clubs I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Jaysus, dont go to boo radleys unless your 15/16. I'd recommend cuba too if your into jazz hiphop. If your just up for the crack head to radisson its prolly the biggest club in galway. For good grub head to busker brownes, dunno about prices and ****, but hey these are rip-off times we live in so dont expect to get anything for cheap unless you eat at mcdonalds / supermacs. Also check out mcswiggans for nice food and atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JW123

Definitely try Cuba, especially if it's a Tueday or Wednesday. Don't go near boo radleys, it's full of kids. CP's will be open as well, but it's just a normal disco full of students. Try the pubs as well, don't just stick to one, there is some great pubs around the city if you go on a pub crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'd recommend Cuba or Halo(like CP's but less students). The blue note is the only jazzy bar I know around, altho I've been to the super pub "the living room" when there has been jazz on twice. It depends on what age u are aswell tbh.
    My pubs would be: kings head (for good live music), the living room, garveys(only cause thats where the gang go)
    Night clubs: (I'm into my club music and not dance) No club in Galway is good enough, they all play relatively the same **** imo, cept cuba which has a bit more variety. If I'm pushed, the radisson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

tuesday is 70's night in gpo
    wednesday is 80's night in gpo ...

you can usually get in free to them .. and leave if you just don't like it. .. its very studenty though so be warned

Food wise ... depends on nice place to eat or just want food to eat ...

see ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=194023

its got a good list and will save people retyping stuff :p

Cuba's always been one of the best clubs in galway in my opinion .. I don't really head out that much to clubs anymore ... now that I'm old :D ...

pubs that are nice ... if Roisin's have some live music on head there .. can be free can be nice ... and worth going to if you're down that end of town in the blue note anyways ...

blue note or mazimo's ?? spelling .. are places to head to ...

if you're in town ... I guess ... its the skeff ... or the kings head .. or bar cuba .. to go drinking in ...

all depends what age group ... you want...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

For Indian grub, the Kashmir and then around the corner to Massimo/Blue Note for pre-club beer and on to either Cuba or the Radisson (Metro) for funk'n stuff.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tonybrasco

The Indian Tandoori, next door to BK's (close to the Spanish arch) is excellent and much cheaper than the Kashmir, which is just outrageously expensive. I think they do 20% discount on take aways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thanks to all.

The Blue note sounds good. Ive heard of it before actually.

Is the Drum still about? Ive not been out in Galway in 2 years, and last time I only made it as far as CP, and a few pubs but cant remember the names of them.

Before that was 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cuba*, Blue Note, GPO (some nights).

drum's still there ... and if you stay in there you get into gpo most nights for free ...(and if you go to sallys you'll get pass's to gpo most nights as well as sallys gpo/drum ... scruffy duffy's ... keanes in athenry another one in moycullen and another one in loughrea are all owned by noel :) he's taking over galway I think ...) its been redone since then and it does the breakfasts in the morning if you're interested in that .. personally I prefer GBC for breakfast ... best breakfast I had so far in galway was in the menlo hotel ... and at home :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Radisson is merely the ground floor of a multistory carpark with a few tables dragged in. It's a horrible, horrible place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Indeed, the Radisson is possibly the worst venue I've been in. Ever. And I've been to a place in London that was used as some kind of laserquest arena during the weekdays. Actually, that place was pretty cool in an abstractly unique kind of way.

Kashmir is indeed an excellent place to eat, best Indian in Galway I must say. The Blue Note is a quality place, and Massimo's is pretty good too, really can't go wrong there at all. Personally, I'd give the clubs a miss unless there's actually something on, but I suppose Cuba would be the best of a bad lot really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Perhaps this is in need of stickification? It does seem to be a recurring theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Where is Blue Note? Sounds like a cool place.

Blue Note ...

from town / shop street ... head towards the vineyard off license / supermacs ... keep going over the bridge ... domnics bridge ... you'll come to the bridgemills ... head left just after the bridge mills .. you'll see a big white building in front of you turn right at it .. you'll see Roisin Dubh's on your right ...

take the left turn at strano's and about 20 meters on ... on your right is the blue note :)

hope that helps
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Cheers james. U'll make sergeant for this!!!

The bad thing is .. I'm navigating of ... fast food joints ... off-licenses ... and pubs ... :eek:

speaking of which ... its friday :D and I'm bunged up with cold :( so that just leaves hot ones ? :confused: roisin's is great for a hot whiskey and fireplace during the day ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cheers again folks. Had a mad time in Galway. Went to Kings Head which was grand apart from the amount of yanks. Saw a good cover band - KIF, and a not so good one -Sugar something. Also tried the living room which was good.

In fact i went to most of the places recommended apart from Blue Note. Could find it.

Food wise, went to Fat Frddys and Monroes. The latter again crawling with Yanks.

Galway would be way nicer if it werent for yanks in fact.

Still a great time was had, and Ill be going again soon. I just hope Galway Utd can get promoted, then I can make it a football wknd away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Who sent the man to the Kings Head and feckin Living Room!! OMG should be ashamed of yerselves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Who sent the man to the Kings Head and feckin Living Room!! OMG should be ashamed of yerselves.
    Kings Head (during the evening mind): Take your pick from any of the incestuous coterie of Galway cover bands.
    Living Room: Cackling fishwives with orange tan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gimmick wrote:
    Cheers again folks. Had a mad time in Galway. Went to Kings Head which was grand apart from the amount of yanks. Saw a good cover band - KIF, and a not so good one -Sugar something. Also tried the living room which was good.
    The Sugarcuts, was it kind of punkrock-ish covers of songs?
    I saw them in The Cellar before.
    I enjoyed the performance.
    Might not be everyone's cup of tea though.
    In fact i went to most of the places recommended apart from Blue Note. Could find it.
    Pity, tis a nice spot :)
    Food wise, went to Fat Frddys and Monroes. The latter again crawling with Yanks.
    Score on the former. You can pick the yanks out of your pizza though, and leave on the side of your plate.
    Galway would be way nicer if it werent for yanks in fact.
    But we'd have no-one to biitch about but ourselves and the soft-cash would be gone.
    Still a great time was had, and Ill be going again soon. I just hope Galway Utd can get promoted, then I can make it a football wknd away.
    hehehehhehehehehhe

Advertisement