Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Doom 3 Question: Min Specs

Options
  • 18-08-2004 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I don't really play PC games so apologies if I sound like a total mongo.

I have a 1.5 Ghz Centrino Laptop (Dell), 512 Megs ram, Win XP. I do not know what kind of graphics card or soundcard I have, but the laptop was top of the range when I bought it about 9 - 12 months ago.

Will Doom 3 play on this?

Let me know if I need to provide you with more info. I think I recently downloaded directx 9 from Microsoft.

Thanks!!!

JV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You'd really need to know what graphics it has. What model is it exactly? The Dell website should have details then.

To get a rough indication, go to Start, then Run and type in dxdiag. Under display it should tell you a few things about the graphics.

Wouldn't hold out much hope for it running well though (if it will at all) - lots of people think their laptops are top of the range but might come with Intel/basic graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The CPU is fine (centrino 1.5 should be a lot faster than a P4 1.5, which is the minimum CPU requirement). RAM is OK (minimum is 384, doom quite likes 768-1gig). If you've got a geforce4 go or something like that you'd be able to run it alright in 640x480/800x600 i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i assume a gforce 4 mx is completely out of the question right?

Sounds like the laptop I got last september and I have an ATI 9000 radeon mobility. It doesnt run very well at all to say the least. At the lowest settings with a 640x480 res I get about 25-30fps. The ATI catalyst drivers dont work for this card and the tweaks floating around do sweet **** all aswell.
    Avoid.

Jabba - Download the Omega drivers - they are ATI Catalysts that will work with mobile chipsets and they've been modded for performance.

http://www.omegadrivers.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

256mb is a total impossibility for doom 3?

Stephen wrote:
    Jabba - Download the Omega drivers - they are ATI Catalysts that will work with mobile chipsets and they've been modded for performance.

http://www.omegadrivers.net

I'll give em a go later. Cheers.

Weemcd: yes. The minimum possible RAM specified by id is 384mb, with a heavy preference for 768-1024.

Advertisement