Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stunned @ the level of downloading

Options
  • 13-08-2004 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭

I don't have a problem with it , not ranting at anyone , but I have to say I am totally stunned at the level of downloading . I never relised it was so prevalent . Just looking through these forums and others and watching conversations in irc it amazed me how many ppl have Doom 3 already . Obviously , releasing games in different countries at different times contributes to this and i knew it went on , but still it will amaze me if this game makes the number 1 spot cause everyone seems to have it already .

Just wondering was I the only one that was surprised ny this .

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to... ooooh... games I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

yes.

why are you surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

AntiRip wrote:
    yes.

why are you surprised?

I knew ppl downloaded games , just never relised so many did , or with such new games .

@ Moriarty , I actually started to post it in the games forum but changed my mind as most of the ppl there already knew this . And also because its broadband that makes this possible . But hehe your the mod .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I bought doom 3 today.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I would say that in Europe probably a good bit over a million people have downloaded it, I have seen some links with as many as 110,000 people, on a single seed! In one visit to a bit torrent web site I found several such seeds with 100,000+ people in them, probably well over half a million downloading it at once, from one website. Now imagine how many have got it over the past few weeks since that level of downloading hasnt dropped much, well over a million probably by now in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I think the anticipation and early release of Doom brought out a lot of people that wouldn't normally download their new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Doom 3 is a perfect example as to why companies should not treat Europeans like idiots. Thy consciously decided to ship one of the most awaited games ever in Amercia 2 weeks before the European launch. The hype surrounding the game alone would make you want it so bad. Combined with the fact that all game players have access to the web where they can read about people who have the game in America, just pisses people off...

They deserved it to be honest. Half Life 2 has a single worldwide release date and I bet it wont be pirated in such numbers in its first two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Well there are a few factors at play:
    1) cost of games €40 +++
    2) ease of downloading for free (lots of options - won't list them)
    3) risk of being caught (minimal)

A lot of people say if the game is good enough they will THEN go buy it - I'd say a lot of them are lying - and even then they are in the vast minority.

Valve have a good system going with Steam. You will probably be able to download half-life 2 - but what if you want to play CS-source?

Same old story - lower prices - increase quality - gonna happen? ... no.
    Meanwhile enjoy Dentist Tycoon 4 and the up and coming Sims Visit The Art Gallery expansion pack. We get 100 FPS a year - mostly from Poland claming to be the next greatest peace of sh*t (eg Chrome, Breed, Kreed). We get maybe 2 good RTS a year and 10*9 Warcraft / Empire Earth clones. Magazines and websites hype up stuff like Doom 3 and Half - life 2 - and it turns out it wasn't the quantum leap everyone expected - because there are no quantum leaps anymore (graphics-wise) - the only hope are new / oringinal ideas. But what are we hearing about Doom 3, Half Life 2, Rome Total War - same games - somewhat better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Doom3 is the first game i've ever downloaded and the only reason i did that was because i had it ordered from Cdwow....just couldn't wait to get my hands on it. As i've mentioned here before I fully believe that if a game developer puts millions into making their game then they should be rewarded if it is good....by people purchasing the game.

I've never seen so much hype for a game before.....

P

PS: Hope i'm not admitting to a banning offence...not really too sure on how this fits in with the rules and charter! Apologies if this requires some modding :)

pekelly wrote:
    PS: Hope i'm not admitting to a banning offence...not really too sure on how this fits in with the rules and charter! Apologies if this requires some modding :)

Your ip is logged when you post. If the gardai get wind, boards.ie would be obliged to hand over your IP address if requested. Ip ---> ISP ----> you

If I were you start formatting!!!

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Your ip is logged when you post. If the gardai get wind, boards.ie would be obliged to hand over your IP address if requested. Ip ---> ISP ----> you

If I were you start formatting!!!

Ah....I see. That kinda makes sense! Just as well i've got may legitimate copy installed. All others deleted. Oh well looks like i might be banned.....

Actually I know there is another thread on this but i got mine from cdwow on Wednesday. I know a heap of people are still waiting!

p

pekelly wrote:
    Ah....I see. That kinda makes sense! Just as well i've got may legitimate copy installed. All others deleted. Oh well looks like i might be banned.....

Actually I know there is another thread on this but i got mine from cdwow on Wednesday. I know a heap of people are still waiting!

p

naaaa i'm only pulling your leg......you're alright kid!

flexo.jpg

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    naaaa i'm only pulling your leg......you're alright kid!

flexo.jpg

I'm afraid i'm really too pissed to be anything more than a guillable fool.... :D It's taking me this long to take the typos out of my sentences.... :eek:

pekelly wrote:
    I'm afraid i'm really too pissed to be anything more than a guillable fool.... :D

Drunk? Me too! Youuuu're my Besssht FrIENdddDDD!

drunk.jpg

LOL!!!!! So true.... :D

Should really try playing the game with afew beers. Reaction time is way down and the monster are even scarier.... :eek:

it gets better when you get the chainsaw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Drunk is it??

DSCI0002.JPG

mayordenis wrote:
    Drunk is it??

LOL!!!! Way to much time on your hands!!!!! :D This has got to be one of the most off topic tangents ever!!! I'm beggining to get stunned @ the level of drunken posting-ness.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sounds like a challenge to me

mayordenis wrote:
    sounds like a challenge to me
    I'll await with baited breath........ :D

Well.......i'm off to bed as i can feel my hangover creeping over the horizon!!!! :(

Actually is there anyway to officially count the number of Doom 3 downloads? It must be the most downloaded game ever. I can't hink of anything that might compare to it off hand.....

• Advertisement

That's quite enough of that.......

enough.jpg

And now for something completely different.....

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

classic, tba approves

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

back on topic...(i hope)

on the amount people download...yeah its big...personnally i do have some (if shifty) standards that the only 3 (was 2 but changed it to 3) things i would download illegaly would be:

auld 8 bit 16 bit roms and sometimes (rarely) GBA roms (due to my GBA breaking after owning it for only a week which really made me angry at nintendo)
    music: In all fairness this in fact helps the music industry with a person like me. I have in my long life only bought 3 cds (prince of egypt soundtrack, U2 album 1980-1990, Lord of the Rings soundtrack) then i started downloading. BUT if i hadnt started i wouldnt have got interested in certain bands. Metallica (ironicle enough) owes my buying of one concert ticket, a t shirt and a badge towards their brand BECAUSE a friend had me download one of their songs. Same would apply to 4 or 5 other bands. I'm just not the sort of person to buy cds.

Work programs: I'm a film studant i study abroad so i have no access to editing suites over the holidays and they are asking 100+ for premiere....f*ck no...i'll pay them back when i make the money off my films...

i wont download films (film studant i use to service, its my future) or games, though the long waiting periods between film releases is sure tempting me just to get a peak at hellboy and other releases not here for a while...*sigh*

anyway. in all fairness the level of downloading is not all positive to the downloader there are alot of creative stuff on the internet for free which gets overlooked to grab illegal big time products. so large amount of downloading can be intellectually and creativitly bad sometimes...but not really that much.

due to amps warning heh.

meh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

pekelly wrote:

To answer the above. It's not against charter rules to admit that you've downloaded a pirated game but I'd prefer if people didn't admit to breaking the law on boards. By admitting to pirate you're theoritically providing evidence for a highly unlikely but possible prosecution.

The warez bit of the charter is there not to protect boards and not those who admit to pirating.

AAAAR I'VE SAID PIRATES TOO MUCH! PIECES OF EIGHT! RUM! ETC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT !!! daaadaaadaaaa

amp wrote:
    To answer the above. It's not against charter rules to admit that you've downloaded a pirated game but I'd prefer if people didn't admit to breaking the law on boards. By admitting to pirate you're theoritically providing evidence for a highly unlikely but possible prosecution.

The warez bit of the charter is there not to protect boards and not those who admit to pirating.

Ok. Understood. Thanks...

Sitting here with a raging hangover and i just want to have a sleep-in but somebody has decided to dig up the road literally underneath my window with a ****ing Jackhammer....karma......i'm obviously an evil evil man.

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Dont know about others, but I treat it as full version russian demo's(that is, if I like it, I'll certainly buy it) although I have found myself buying less games since they brought in the dvd boxes :(

As for music, had the internet for 4 years now, had a cd player for 6 years before that, and bought 2 cd's(hits 96 with my ps1 and fugee's killing my softly) in those 6 years, so this BS that its killing the industry....pah.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

amp wrote:

The first problem here is already loads of people
    are pirates already :p

On a related note, ANYBODY and I mean ANYBODY who downloads movies, music, appz or whatever (as long as its copyighted ala Macromedia products) and sells them on to people deserve to get the full brunt of the law thrown at them, downloading for personal use and giving away copies for free to friends is not half as bad though it is still "stealing" its not nearly as bad as making profit from such things.

Also the US gov says groups selling warez fund terrrorism... :rolleyes:

pekelly wrote:
    Actually is there anyway to officially count the number of Doom 3 downloads? It must be the most downloaded game ever. I can't hink of anything that might compare to it off hand.....

heh I can,
    Solitaire in various versions of Windows 9x and NT :D

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    heh I can,
    Solitaire in various versions of Windows 9x and NT :D

I suppose!!!! :D But it's kinda of an added bonus innit?!!? ;)

p

Advertisement