Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 4.9 Cats

Options
  • 12-08-2004 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭

I have to say I dont like using betas, i like to have official releases only, i know there still bugged but hey it makes me feel better

Any hoo I did dl the 4.9 betas purely because of Doom 3 and nothing else, i was on the 4.7's and to be honest it some places the game lagged very very badly, down to about 7FPS in very busy areas

Now that ive got these its improved the game ten fold, rarely does the FPS drop below 25 even in busy areas and even where there is smoke, a GFX card worst nightmare it plays much better

I know people have reported only marginal increases in frame rates, but for me it has improved a hell of a lot

So im pleased i dled these

Shiin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

What card are you running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I've noticed my system is less stable when my radeon is overclocked with these drivers, although it was a mighty overclock!
    Still, the last official drivers were rock solid, no lockups at all.

(radeon 9600pro)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Rad 9600 Pro with a 25% overclock ram and core and they're fine (and making a very nice difference to FPS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Gave these drivers a try with my 9700pro.Although i haven't got my copy of Doom3 to try them with yet :rolleyes: , i have noticed that both Far-cry and Toca2 have problems with this set.Back to my trusty catalyst 4.4's :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I heard doom3 doesnt like overclocking, especially on radeons. Supposedly you get that whole snow effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

bizmark wrote:
    What card are you running

Sorry i should have said a 9800 pro 128 meg card

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm running a 9800 pro 128MB with those drivers (not overclocked) - seems to be a little bit faster in Doom3 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Don't forget that directx 9 c is out aswell , I believe the 4.9 drivers were brought out with an eye on doom 3 . using the latest Omega drivers myself on a 9800 128mg pro , but I don't have doom 3 so no comment there . As a side note it is in the shops today acording to game stop .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

guys, ne disadvantages ? when it comes to other games ?
    ive 9600 ! modbility

I have a weird problem any time i try and run doom on 1024*780 res i get artafacts after a small while on medium detail :confused: but i can run fine (well a bit a a lag when opening some doors down to 512 meg of ram i gues) at 800@600 on high detail :( i wanted the higher res tbh i have a 9800pro 128meg of ram 4.9 drivers Amd 2600xp 512 meg of pc2700 ram

also any suggestions how to get better proformace ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im having a problem with the game also. Does anyone find that its hard to read whats on the screen ? new game , load game or what ever be on the screen it just looks a bit blurry.

Have ait 9800np and i dont have it overclocked. Useing drivers 4.7 dl the 4.9 now to c if it makes it a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

sounds odd, i have a 9800 pro and don't experience that problem. I've tried both the 4.7 and 4.9 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Update

I uninstalled the old 4.7 drivers. They were the amega version. I did a driver clean in safe mode to make sure i got everything. Installed the 4.9cats from the ati web site. And all is well again thank god :). It was a strain on the eyes before i installed the 4.9cats.

Now off to play, i even took a half day from work today just to play this game :)

bizmark wrote:
    I have a weird problem any time i try and run doom on 1024*780 res i get artafacts after a small while on medium detail :confused: but i can run fine (well a bit a a lag when opening some doors down to 512 meg of ram i gues) at 800@600 on high detail :( i wanted the higher res tbh i have a 9800pro 128meg of ram 4.9 drivers Amd 2600xp 512 meg of pc2700 ram

also any suggestions how to get better proformace ? ;)

Bismark if your getting artefacts onscreen it means your card is overheating, thats what happened to me when i first started playing it, but i slapped an artic cooler vga silencer on it and its running perfectly no artefacts whatsoever

you need to watch that ye dont burn the card out

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jonski wrote:
    Don't forget that directx 9 c is out aswell , I believe the 4.9 drivers were brought out with an eye on doom 3 . using the latest Omega drivers myself on a 9800 128mg pro , but I don't have doom 3 so no comment there . As a side note it is in the shops today acording to game stop .
    and don't forget that directx9c comes with sp2...
    might as well save yourself a 30mb download :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

40 posts of the same thing , I rekon the mods ain't gonna like that

Still cool that you have the time though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i love you too, honey bunny.

shinzon wrote:
    Bismark if your getting artefacts onscreen it means your card is overheating, thats what happened to me when i first started playing it, but i slapped an artic cooler vga silencer on it and its running perfectly no artefacts whatsoever

you need to watch that ye dont burn the card out

Shin

Where can i get one shinzon ? how much ? hard to install ?

you can get one in pcworld about 15 euro, dead handy to install, just take off the existing ati fan and install this, took about 5 mins

review here

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

shin

Advertisement