Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 problem please help.

Options
  • 11-08-2004 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Ive just installed Doom 3, and when I load up the game, its stutters every now and again, the audio repeats its self over and over like 3 times, then carries on, then does the same thing again about 30 seconds. Its a countinus annying cycle and causes the game to stutter..

It doesnt seem to be a graphics problem, cus ive run it at several different settings and at the very lowest, and it still seems to be there.

Im thinking it might be sound related, by the question is why would it be.

My system is new. xp2500 radeon 9800pro 512 ram..

There is one other thing, I have my old hard drive in the new system (5 years old) 13gb just at the moment while i wait for the new one. Could this be the source of the problem? Ive read something about using those raptor drives for games and "swapfiles" (what are these?)

Thanks,
    -Coz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Might be your sound alright. What card / setup do you have. Try turning off all sound and see if it runs ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I needed to update the drivers for my nforce 2/soundstorm audio to get surround sound to work properly. If you've got an nforce2 board, try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Go to start>run then type dxdiag. Go to sound and put the acceleration setting to basic acceleration from full acceleration.

Thisa solved 2 proplems with the sound I was having in Doom 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Ok I check counter strike there and the sound is fecked in that now as well, and is stuttering cs aswell.

I have no idea what ive done tbh, and yea I ahve a nf2 board its an asus a7n8x-x.

I thought earlier on when I cancelled un compressing a rar file mid way, (it took for ever to shut down, and ended up not responding), that after that the system seemed a little slugish (could be my imagination)

But anyways for some reason this problem seems to be affecting the system.
    Where can I get those drivers from stephen? and are they compatible with my board yea?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 me45

So how have you already installed Doom 3 if its not officialy released in this country yet? Pirate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

So how have you already installed Doom 3 if its not officialy released in this country yet? Pirate?
    People ordered from the UK from cdwow/play etc already have a copy (well some do) so please check facts before accusing someone (of course you could be right but if we go around accusing everyone we'll never get anything done). Not a great start to your boards career if i may say so.

Was the sound in CS fne before?
    Wtf u using a 2500+ to play cs for :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

me45: you are a muppet.

It was released in the states, and elsewhere last week.
    I got mine in the post from CD Wow (hong kong) yesterday.

Got mine from the kong as well, anyways no CS was working fine before.. though I do remember when I first built the system and played cs for the 1st time it was stutter and sound was all ****ed up but I just restasted and it was fine.

Ive tried doing the dxdiag thing, didnt work.. and ive restarted, and reinstalled my MB drivers that didnt work.. im going to give the nvida drivers a bash now.

Still confused what brought this on the system :/

Thanks again,
    Coz.

Stephen I went to the Nvida site and I saw no drivers just for audio, so Im downloading the Platform Unified driver for XP is this correct?

• Advertisement

-ADREN- wrote:
    Stephen I went to the Nvida site and I saw no drivers just for audio, so Im downloading the Platform Unified driver for XP is this correct?

Yep, they contain sound and chipset drivers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 me45

Sorry if I caused offence, wasn't accusing anyone! I was just asking because I knew it was out in America but I thought software imports were illegal but obviously I was wrong! Sorry again!

Nice one those drivers worked. Thanks.

Just one other thing, im playin at 800x600 and medium detail atm, and it seems a little sluggish, again not really frame rate. Its most obvious when I go to open doors or enter new ares it really slows down, as in the frame rate drops alot, but as im playing along the fram rate is fine.

My specs are xp2500 512ram and a Radeon 9800pro 128. I was just wondering is this a Ram problem, as ive heard that the game may need a gig of ram, and it seems to be slowing down when I go into new places *when things load up), but not as I play (shoot etc.)

Thanks again.

Coz.

Just out of information, i get a 5528 score in 3d Mark 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

-ADREN- wrote:
    Nice one those drivers worked. Thanks.

Just one other thing, im playin at 800x600 and medium detail atm, and it seems a little sluggish, again not really frame rate. Its most obvious when I go to open doors or enter new ares it really slows down, as in the frame rate drops alot, but as im playing along the fram rate is fine.

My specs are xp2500 512ram and a Radeon 9800pro 128. I was just wondering is this a Ram problem, as ive heard that the game may need a gig of ram, and it seems to be slowing down when I go into new places *when things load up), but not as I play (shoot etc.)

Thanks again.

Coz.

Just out of information, i get a 5528 score in 3d Mark 2003.

Yeah, seemingly a gig will really only help in the loading up....mind you i've a pretty similar spec and i can play at higer res on high detail. There are a few tweeks you can do to aid your graphics card.....cant find them but they were posted here a little while ago.

p

Thanks ill check around for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

-ADREN- wrote:
    Thanks ill check around for them.

Found it.....here

p

thanks m8

Advertisement