Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 connecting to the net

Options
  • 06-08-2004 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed Doom 3 trying to connect to the interweb when you start it up. My firewall picked it up and stopped it, Just wondering why the first thing it tries to do is connect online? Anyone know what is was up to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

its calling the cops on yore warez monkey ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Dont think it tried to connect in my case. (did u acidenally hit multiplayer by any chance? :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

wheres it trying to connect to?
    is it warez?? could it be a trojan..
    altought that maybe a bit ott.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anyone else noticed Doom 3 trying to connect to the interweb when you start it up. My firewall picked it up and stopped it, Just wondering why the first thing it tries to do is connect online? Anyone know what is was up to?

Im sure Ive seen a few games doing that, even without selecting multiplayer..

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

It happened as soon as I started the program. Before selecting anything in game. It may be trojaned. I'll double check when i get a copy in the post. Any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Unreal Tournament 2004 goes online when you start it too - to update its "community page" - basically notifies you of new mods and patches and stuff. If there's an update you haven't read yet it will have some indication in the main menu.

Perhaps doom3 is doing something similar?
    or maybe its ****ing you in your warez monkey ass as mentioned earlier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Happening to me too...using Sygate personal firewall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Checks cd key on master server at boot up , unlike other ID games where you had MP and SP exes.

I imagine its tied to the update button ingame, it checks you have valid cd key connects to database if theres a mod or patch you can download it in game. Not 100% sure as i play with net turned off and it doesnt happen to me until i hit update.

kdjac

Advertisement