Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the name of Gaming....

Options
  • 04-08-2004 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Inspired by the story about the doom obcessed dude
    This can otherwise be known as games that stole yr life....what the good people want to know is
    1)what was the most important event/date/STD clinic appointment you missed in order to play a game?
    2)what was the game?

for me it was good friday mass (very catholicy family) the occasion was finishing Final fantasy VII and the event was fantastic....the ending was almost symbolic of the day itself...ok thats a lie...or is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I took a day off college the day I got GTA3 for my PS2... but haven't done anything like that for a game since.

clearly i'm a ****ty student. I should be staying home and playing games and watching judge judy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I took 3 days off work when Pro Evo3 came out on Ps2, also did a full mod on the game with full kits etc so most of the time was for that.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Haven't done anything like that for ages, except totally neglect my father who was visiting (from abroad), to play Mafia.

Damn I want to play Mafia again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Missed out two years in college playing MUD's. (TeraMUD)

Definitely the best time I ever had.. Real life just sucks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Twistedlilkitty

oh when my dad was away my mother would sometimes neglect to feed us so she could play crash bandicoot, actually she would send someone down town for chips, then pause, then continue.....this was true for my mothers other great loves sonic the hedgehog and mega bomberman....
    my father never found out...but did find some blue spines and a small two tailed fox in the wardrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

my father never found out...but did find some blue spines and a small two tailed fox in the wardrobe.
    Kinky!

I failed exams due to Shadowman on the PC. Regularly loose serious amounts of sleep to games, and all that that brings with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

My appalling leaving cert results back in 98' were a direct result of FFVII.
    Was it worth it? Well, whos to say. :rolleyes:

Vice City was the next big game. It caused a relationship to hit the skids. Now that was definately worth it. She wasnt a patch on Candy Suxx!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't do crap but could have done a lot better in the LC due to Final Fantasy VII. And yes it was worth it.

Also my 3rd year exams in college were below what I got due to a combination of Grandia and Xenogears.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My crap exam results this year were due to playing most of the Metroid series near constantly... Speed running Zero Mission on the bus on the way to exams, study time at home being eaten up by Prime, swearing at Metroid 1, looking for a rom of Super, getting well and truly confused by Metroid 2, and cussing at Nightmare in Fusion.
    Go me.
    Repeats are next week and I'm still playing Prime and Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Spent a whole weekend playing civ3, getting about 4 hours sleep in total and called in sick on the monday and tuesday. On the tuesday I disconnected the drive civ3 was on and got some sleep and ate food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm calling in sick the day doom3 arrives at my door. I deserve a break. I'm leaving work this month anyway and I have a few sick days to take before they start to get suspicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Myself and a girl I shared a house with both became obsessed with Animal Crossing. We'd kill ourselves trying to get to be the one to get home first to buy up all the cool stuff in the shop.

And also, get up early in the morning to be the first to find the days magic money bag stone.

ah.. Animal Crossing such a fantasic game... but I just had to stop myself playing it as it was taking over my life. I haven't dared to check up on my animals in almost a year now... I may check back on them some day to find they have reverted to feral beasts without all the cute letters I used to send them.

I'm dreading the release of Animal Crossing DS, as I'm bound to end up walking under a bus while playing it on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Took few days off school to play Zelda OOT and few days off last year for KOTOR !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zelda OOT left work to pick up my preordered copy ,aid i be back in an hour , 5 days later i came in *coughing*

Jet Force Gemini also needed days of work, worst was a while ago tho ,started playing Conflict Desert Storm in Coop on a sat afternoon in bros house , 8am next morning we were on last level.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Took 3 years off college to play Counter-strike.

Well, I just didn't go in and playing cs seemed like a much more amusing pastime. I went in for exams and did my assignments at home after getting them from the sectetary over the phone. I had to ask where the exam halls were for each exam.

I still got my 2.2 degree though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

failed 4 out of 5 games, I mean exams because of metroid prime, wind waker, splinter cell and viewtiful joe. i was just on them all the time. finished wind waker first. got to the last level of splinter cell and got lazy. I bought prime last november and got the thermal visor and wave beam then gave up. came back to it before my exams got really far. I got to meta ridley and beat him and never saw the shaggin save point in the impact crater, got hammered by prime and was too lazy to go back. now i killed ridley and saved. ready for prime. think ill kill him tomorrow. only finished splinter cell last week. and dont get me startede on viewtiful joe! oi love it cause its suh a chalenge. im on act five scene 2. those baastard yellpw men keep kickin the poo out of me. :mad:

i plan on gettin a gba and gettin the two metroid games on it and i have a list of games im gettin when they come out for cube

ikargua
    fzero
    hitman
    rocky
    mario golf
    tiger woods 2004/5
    nhl 2004/5
    nba street vol 2/3
    tales of symphonia
    timesplitters 2 and future perfect
    goldeneye 2
    killer 7
    four horsemen of the apocalypse
    mega man anniversary collection
    metroid prime 2
    nfs underground 1 or 2, possibly 2
    prince of persia 1 and 2
    pikmin 2
    res evil 4
    lord of the rings third age if it turns out to be any use
    viewtiful joe 2
    wwe day of reckoning
    XIII

loads more but thats my list for the moment.

then of course there is ds.(i like nintendo). the revolution is coming!!!!!!!

ps if anyone wants to help me with getting any of those games above ie selling them or trading them please let me know! :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I bought prime last november and got the thermal visor and wave beam then gave up. came back to it before my exams got really far. I got to meta ridley and beat him and never saw the shaggin save point in the impact crater, got hammered by prime and was too lazy to go back. now i killed ridley and saved. ready for prime.
    Prime is easy compared to Ridley (but Ridley just looks so cool...). I've beaten Prime only losing 1 energy tank the whole way through. Just learn its patterns. Prime's an amazing game and if you're looking forward to the sequel...damn yanks getting all the cool stuff...
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    i plan on gettin a gba and gettin the two metroid games
    Good plan. Fusion's much harder than Zero Mission. I've beaten Zero Mission in 58 minutes.
    then of course there is ds.(i like nintendo). the revolution is coming!!!!!!!
    My thoughts exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

all the sonic games combined probably owe me about a year in total of my life...

sonic 1 a months worth, first game i had on mega drive

sonic 2 2 months of my life went to that two tailed fox and those cool special stages

sonic collection (all of em) on game gear took another month, not as good as the mega drive series

sonic 3 holds a easy 4 months on me...

Sonic R (yes i skipped one, i'll get to him later) a month again...

Sonic Jam is included with the earlier games

Sonic Adventure 1 had me for a month in total...

Sonic Adventure 2 had me for about 2 months but i still play it (aswell as SA1) so i'm still adding minutes to it.

Chaotix was ****e so had me for the 3 hours it took me to complete it fully (how how woefull and pathetic that game was)

the numerous other sonic games (Dr. R's mean bean, sonic the fighters, sonic advance series and sonic battle and shuffle, sonic cd) alltogether come to a 4 days constant..mainly cause they didnt appeal as much (also the pc version of sonic cd sucked wanna get the original though)

so roughly over a year of constant play to all the sonic games....bar one.

Sonic & Knuckles...*sigh* offically the game i have played the most in my entire life...and probably the single most item i have applied to most energy to. Half life comes in second but its got a long way to go.

from my tender age of 9 i have played this game constantly until i entered secondary school. So 4 years with at least 1 hour a day if not more was dedicated to sonic and knuckles and its mutations of sonic 2 and knuckles and sonic 3 and knuckles (which i dub the 'The Floating Island Saga,continuation and conclusion to the death Egg trilogy (Adventure 1 and 2 and Heros is the 'Chaos Trilogy' in my minds.)

Sonic 3 and knuckles was pure electronic addiction to me. I still clearly the first time i suceeded in achieving Hyper Sonic. It was 5 am, me and a friend had set out well over 30 hours before hand to collect all 14 emeralds. the floor was covered in little notes on each special stage and their locations in each of the 14 levels (only 12 had power rings, but level 1 was best you could get all the emeralds in original sonic 3 by level 3 if you were good. the hyper emeralds were harder) Anyway 5 am i achieved our goal and proceeded to enter the final stage of Doomsday...never had i slept so well since the night i assured Dr Robotniks defeat at the hands of hyper sonic, hyper knuckles and Super tails (achieved 2 days after getting the other 2)

man that was an addiction...and it still lives i still load it up on either my saturn or mega drive or *cough* PC to have a few goes.

i am now so skilled in it that i prooved i can play level 1 with my eyes closed. and that i can complete sonic 3 in under a hour and the whole game (with all emeralds) in under 2 and half hours with sonic, under 2 with tails (really easy) and sadly just under 3 with knuckles

truley Yuji Naka owes me over a year of my life for the sonic games.

And another life time for sonic and knuckles alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Got Zelda OOT for my birthday the year it came out. Completly neglected my party and all who came, lost a few friends that day. Nothing that can't be replaced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I once skipped a professional accountancy exam to play Knights of the Old Republic. I had booked a week and a half off work with the exam on the following Wednesday, by the time Saturday rolled around the closest I'd got to studying was balancing the book on my lap while playing away. I knew I had to make a decision it was either finish KOTOR or just forget about doing the exam......no decision at all really, I just told everyone the exam was really hard and i'd probably have to repeat :)

Civ2 also nearly drove me insane. After playing non-stop for hours and hours I'd go to sleep and my dreams would just consist of me moving the pieces about all over again.

• Advertisement

Prime is easy compared to Ridley (but Ridley just looks so cool...). I've beaten Prime only losing 1 energy tank the whole way through. Just learn its patterns. Prime's an amazing game and if you're looking forward to the sequel...damn yanks getting all the cool stuff...

Good plan. Fusion's much harder than Zero Mission. I've beaten Zero Mission in 58 minutes.

My thoughts exactly!

I saw that metroid prime 2 echoes bonus disc. I may have to try real hard to get it! i wanna play sooooooo much.

about prime. i went to fight him last night. I got to his true form but i toook a fair beating before hand. i kept losing sigh of where the phazin pools were and he kept knockin me out of them.i thought ridley was fairly easy. i died once on him. finished huim with a fiar amount of damage the second time and forgot to save and hten the other day i beat him with half a tank gone.

Is zero mission just a done up version of metroid one or is it before that? i wasnt excited about metroid prime when i got my cube. i had never played a metroid game and thought they looked boring. i only bought it cause it was so cheap and i read amazing reviews saying it was the best game on the cube if not on any of the three consoles. i fell in love with the game. another reason I want a gba is to be able to hook up and play metroid 1. hope they put super metroid on echoes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Is zero mission just a done up version of metroid one or is it before that?
    Sorta. The basic story is the same. It takes place in the same planet (Zebes). They made the graphics better of course. There is also another bit after you kill Mother Brain, called Chozodia, where you have to infiltrate the Space Pirate mother ship, but you're completly unarmed (except for a crappy stun gun) and very vunerable. It adds a stelth element to the game, which is fun. Also there are speed running and sequence breaking! It's crazy what you can do with the game. Nintendo built speed running into the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I work night shift security. Some weekends the day guy brought in a Gamecube and left it overnight. Ah, 48 hours of Ocarina, with a little Soul Caliber 2 thrown in. Just as well nobody bothers breaking in to where I work, I could well have been in trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i lost 2 weeks to Goldeneye, and a week to Zelda OOT. i lost my 1st and most of my 2nd year of college to counterstrike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

First 2 years of college to counter-strike, and counting...
    Several years of secondary school due to the Final Fantasy series, (sadly resulted in sick weeks when I got particularilly engrossed! :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Played C&C tiberian sun for 16 hours straight, the day it came out.Also spent 3-4 months of summer of 2000 playing diablo 2 :D

CC

Just remembered. Ocarina of time. I woke up at 2am on christmas morning to play the thing and I was still playing at 1 when it was time for dinner. I told my family i got up at 7 so I wouldnt seeem nuts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Think it was called Synidicate on the Amiga 500....class game!! going round with a band of cydicates killing everything! spent like a full week not stop playin it between food and sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Often took a day off school (sickies) to play games.
    Cannon Fodder, frontier, halflife, Sonic3 etc.

I've missed a couple of trips abroad to run lan parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

amp wrote:
    Spent a whole weekend playing civ3, getting about 4 hours sleep in total and called in sick on the monday and tuesday. On the tuesday I disconnected the drive civ3 was on and got some sleep and ate food.

What a wimp :p

Advertisement