Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doom3 hardware quide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks for that, last page they run tests on a pretty average spec machine and get away with a decent FPS, my machine hopefully will run it smoothly on low/med setting.
    hurray !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Im hopeful of medium detail at 1024 res

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Ill be running 1600x whatever on high details!

May i be the first to say......BASTARD :D

From looking at tha guide, there wont be all that much of a difference between medium and high!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

1600x1200, Ultra High Quality, with 4AA and 8AF prolly ;)

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

You cúnt! :D

CombatCow wrote:
    1600x1200, Ultra High Quality, with 4AA and 8AF prolly ;)

CombatCow
    i dont know, it said its pretty choppy on 1600 with even 2x AA on.

Humm have to wait and see,the ultimate doom 3 system is prety much the same as mine...average 46fps...shouldent be long now anyway :eek:

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

looks like medium settings for me hopefilly Half Life 2 will think off their customer and not Graphic Card companies pushing new Cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

640x480. Probobly with everything turned off.

If I'm lucky :(

Can't wait all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

You getting 2 gigs of ram CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Heh, ultra low quality with everythign turned off for me! Don't have enough harddrive space to install it anyways! :dunno:

B-K-DzR wrote:
    You getting 2 gigs of ram CC?

I'll see how it runs on a gig of xms xl 3200 first and if i need more then yea why not.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Kazu wrote:
    looks like medium settings for me hopefilly Half Life 2 will think off their customer and not Graphic Card companies pushing new Cards

I think those benchmarks prove that iD infact, think of their customers by actually providing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its certainly very good of ID to give everyone the heads up.....

I should be able to squeeze high settings at 1024x768... My base system would be medium settings but with the processor oc'd to 3.4-3.6 and the 9800 pro running at similar speeds to the XT I should be fine..

CombatCow wrote:
    I'll see how it runs on a gig of xms xl 3200 first and if i need more then yea why not.

CC

Uber over kill ID themselfs have said it will run perfect on 512meg of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Firstly
    Uber over kill ID themselfs have said it will run perfect on 512meg of ram
    Thats gfx card ram, not system ram. Atm a card with 512mb does not exist. (im assuming you mean on ultra, will run on medium on 512mb of system ran)

CC they said that you'd need 2 gigs of ram to play on ultra settings with todays (256m) video cards. Even then your gonna experience some feeezing (according to hardocp). Id say u'd get away with it at 1600* on high. Dont think ull manage 1600* on ultra. Still will be interesting to see at gamecon if ya can manage it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

What will be the best graphics card on the market, when Doom 3 hits the shelves? The 9800 XT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The results for the 9800 certainly made interesting reading. On the AMD machines, they were running at 1024x768 and high-quality, but the time-demo showed a horrible blip towards the end where the framerate dropped to 5fps. On the Intel systems, this blip only caused a drop to 22fps. However, in the case of the Intel test system, they were running at 1024x768 with only medium quality settings. So, what I'm wondering at the moment is whether the blip intensity is reduced by the quality settings, or whether it is CPU-bottlenecked, and its just something on the AMD that doesn't react well.

If its the latter, I plan to run at high-quality, but if its the former, I have a bit of a dilemma - do I run at medium quality and have stable fps, or do I run at high quality and take the chance that there'll be the odd drop to 5fps?

• Advertisement

mr_angry wrote:
    The results for the 9800 certainly made interesting reading. On the AMD machines, they were running at 1024x768 and high-quality, but the time-demo showed a horrible blip towards the end where the framerate dropped to 5fps. On the Intel systems, this blip only caused a drop to 22fps. However, in the case of the Intel test system, they were running at 1024x768 with only medium quality settings. So, what I'm wondering at the moment is whether the blip intensity is reduced by the quality settings, or whether it is CPU-bottlenecked, and its just something on the AMD that doesn't react well.

If its the latter, I plan to run at high-quality, but if its the former, I have a bit of a dilemma - do I run at medium quality and have stable fps, or do I run at high quality and take the chance that there'll be the odd drop to 5fps?

The last fifth of the graph is a cut scene seemingly using the games engine.. so not a big deal...

Notice the 9800XT with a 3odd Ghz P4 is an high too..

What will be the best graphics card on the market, when Doom 3 hits the shelves? The 9800 XT ?

no 9800xt is midrange
    6800ultra is best,x800xt,6800gt,x800pro, in that order

Well i got my 6800Ultra today and by-jesus it takes everthing i throw at it :eek:

I was playing BF:V in 1600x1200 with high settings and AAx8 and AFx16 and getting over 80fps on average.....note that this is still with my crappy barton 2800+ and a gig of crucial 2.5 333 Ram....as im still waiting on the mobo for my 3800+, im expecting great results from doom 3 tbh.

Gimme a shout if ya's want some benchies with this beast ;)

CC

Crappy barton 2800+ ? some of us have to live with mere mortal pcs ya know! :)

LoL,sorry what i ment was that the cpu is a bottleneck in the system atm,it's dragging down the 3dmk scores cause it has to be run at 1024x768 :rolleyes:

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Thats gfx card ram, not system ram. Atm a card with 512mb does not exist. (im assuming you mean on ultra, will run on medium on 512mb of system ran)
    Nope Ted ( developer ) said the diff between 512MB RAM and 1GB was minimal and he meant System RAM; 512MB Gfx RAM is what you should have for the Ultra settings to work fine, it can be done in less.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

He meant minimal in fps terms. It will decrease loading times and stuttering due to hard disk access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I've got a P4 2.6 Ghz and 512 ram and I'm hoping to get a new graphics card around the 200 euro mark. I have a Geforce FX 5200, which I know is an awful card. I'm just wondering whats the best buy? I'm leaning towards an ATI 9800 Pro? Would that be a wise buy? I just want a decent enough performance (everything on high at 800x600 at least) out of Doom 3 not everything on Ultra settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I can only but recommend the Saphire 9800pro.....fantastic little gem :D

• Advertisement

pekelly wrote:
    I can only but recommend the Saphire 9800pro.....fantastic little gem :D

Agreed.. OCs like a bitch...

Advertisement