Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 standard edition delayed till October

Options
  • 21-07-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Has anyone ordered Doom 3 off the mx2 site?
    I ordered the standard edition that was advertised and recieved a reply as follows:
    With reference to your order for Doom 3 on PC, the version that you have
    ordered (Doom 3 Standard Edition PC400) has now been delayed by the
    Publisher Activision until October, however they have decided to release a
    Special Edition of this game that will be available on 13th August. At this
    time it is not know what the Special Edition contains, but we have been
    informed unofficially, that the packaging will be in a double sized DVD Case
    with an extra game guide enclosed.

I've looked on Play.com and other sites and they just feature the one version but no mention of whether it is a Special Edition or not.

Has anyone else recieved this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There is some mention of this in the other Doom 3 thread on the forum. Any copies delivered in August (and for a while after that) will be the Special Edition afaik.

The only place I saw both for sale (with the delay mentioned), they were the [strike]same price[/strike] (correction) RRP of Special Edition is €10 extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

if thats true its lame forcing people to pay exxtra for the special edition in order to play early

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

did see the post in "Doom 3 gone Gold - August 3rd expected " thread. But it's the same question?

I still can't see why there are two versions and cannot find a reason for the delay of the Standard Edition.

I would guess that the 'Special Edition' is an anti-piracy ploy designed to entice people into buying early before there are working cracks for the game. If it's approximately the same price it'll also be a nice reward for the early game buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

So the version I have preordered from play will be the special edition then?

• Advertisement

If you look on http://www.ebgames.com, who are one of ID's official syndicated resellers for the game, you'll see a $5 difference in price and a description:

Standard

Special

Edit: Apparently the figure is for the EBGames only box set, so confusion reigns again ...

im confused I thought ebgames dont deliver to europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I placed my order on mx2.co.uk on the 15th july. At this time they had only ONE listing (DOOM 3, no mention of editions) and it said it would be available 8th or 13th august- can't remember which. It cost £17.95, so I placed my order and got my confirmation email.

Days later I saw they had changed the site so you could either get the special edition for £25 in august or the standard edition for the above price in october (!).

In answer to my email saying wtf, I eventually (just now) got the same bulk send as the original poster.

It's pretty lame switching games (effectively) on folks who have pre ordered :/

I'll see what is happening w/ other sites, eg play.com before deciding what to do. In any case, I a) won't wait 2 extra months for the game and b) won't buy from mx2.co.uk if I have to pay more for the 'special edition', as a thank you for their hot-swap :)

I'll see what is happening w/ other sites, eg play.com before deciding what to do. In any case, I a) won't wait 2 extra months for the game and b) won't buy from mx2.co.uk if I have to pay more for the 'special edition', as a thank you for their hot-swap

get the [illegal] version for a 100% discount and teach them a lesson for this messing about

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I ordered from CDWOW (marginally cheaper than play in this instance), hope this doesn't mean i have to wait until poxy october.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Bought off play.com

Doom3, no mension of edition, release date of augustish, and 45euro [free delivery]
    It states on site if price changes before release, your given the cheaper one.

...I doubt they'll charge less than 45[ish] for quote a while on a title like this ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    I would guess that the 'Special Edition' is an anti-piracy ploy designed to entice people into buying early before there are working cracks for the game. If it's approximately the same price it'll also be a nice reward for the early game buyers.

but crasks are normaly avilable within hours of a game being released

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

45? It was 37 euros off play a few days ago? 0_o

(it seems cheaper to buy from play in sterling, their Euro rates look a bit dodgy)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ya my copy was 45 at play.com i dont care tbh as long as i get it next month 45 euro isnt that much money.If your get a free game with doom 3 it will more than likely be a dvd/cd of doom doom 2 and final doom which you more than likely will never use but will be nice to have all the same

I'm still waiting to hear back from them as to what exactly is the difference in the two so when I know I'll post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

its all fairly redundant - just order yours from [an illegal source] and you'll be sure to get it first and at the best price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I’ve banned ‘Batbat’ and 'RE*AC*TOR' from this forum, as when they posted where to get an illegal copy of Doom 3 they broke the following rule…

1. Posting about Warez.
    This means that if you post anything on how to obtain, copy, hax0r, backup, get a serial number for or otherwise copy or circumvent copy protection. We don't care if you want to back up your perfectly legal copy of The Sims. Copying protected cd's is off-topic anyway. There is a zero tolerance for this. If you break this rule, you will be permanently banned and your post will be edited and/or deleted.

Please take the time to read the Games Charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by RE*AC*TOR
    its all fairly redundant - just order yours from [an illegal source] and you'll be sure to get it first and at the best price.

please tell me where i can optain it from this [illegal source] crowd ;)

only joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by bizmark
    ya my copy was 45 at play.com i dont care tbh as long as i get it next month 45 euro isnt that much money.If your get a free game with doom 3 it will more than likely be a dvd/cd of doom doom 2 and final doom which you more than likely will never use but will be nice to have all the same
    £27.99 = €42.03 according to xe.com

NEVER use the euro converter on play.com

Bah ....Ah well its only 3 euro

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting for the reply. I may end up cancelling and buying it on play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Originally posted by tman
    £27.99 = €42.03 according to xe.com

NEVER use the euro converter on play.com

But if play say they'll bill you 45 euro that's what they'll bill you.

If they say 27.99 and exchange rates fluctuate, (and your cc company will give you a cr@p rate anyway), and then you are charged 2 or 3 euro for the conversion, you could well end up paying more. Plus you don't know just how much it is going to cost you.

Personally I'd rather knowing the exact figure from the date I order.

has anyone received confirmation from play.com etc of the actual date they will get the game and what the story is with the different editions (standard vs special)?

still confused here :?

Interview with Doom 3 developers:

Doom 3 Interview

And they mention the that there may not be any plans for a special edition. So I don't know what the two versions being advertised on www.mx2.co.uk are.

Thanks for link-
    GameSpy: Did you ever give any thought to doing a "Collector's Edition" for DOOM 3?

Todd Hollenshead: The thing on the Collector's Edition is that we don't like doing it unless we have some really cool stuff to put into it, and we could just never come to an agreement with Activision about how all that was all going to be packaged. Then there was a significant amount of pushback from retailers over multiple SKUs of the same product title at launch. They don't like it because they have to keep track of two different pieces and two different price points and all that sort of stuff -- some of the at-launch "Collector's Editions" may be going away based on the new retail attitude.

so wtf are mx2.co.uk on about? :/:/

My email to lesley@mx2.com (the one who sent the bulk email out, as quoted by the OP):
    Hi Lesley,

I sent in a query on the 19th about the sudden appearance of special/standard editions of Doom 3 after having placed a pre-order on the 15th (at that time, no mention of diff editions). Even after a lot of looking about & your email, I still haven't been able to work out what's happening with this.

Every other online retailer I've found has no mention of different editions for this game, and indeed ID themselves say they haven't made one (or have any plans to do so! - see http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3/532605p3.html halfway down the page)

So my questions are
    - what's different about the special edition? (not the price or the release date, actual contents)
    - why can I not find any mention of this anywhere else?

Please let me know as soon as possible, so that I can amend or cancel my order accordingly.

Thanks,

Anyone else contacted them? I'll let you know what (if anything) they come back with.

I've heard nothing back from them except for the email I posted at the start of this thread which doesn't fill me with confidence. So I think I'll cancel and buy off play.com.

At least I know what I'm getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I reckon Doom III will be one of the few occasions when it will be better to buy on the High Street.

1) The street date will almost certainly be broken so GAME/GameStop/Smyths will have it on sale latest Thursday before release (Driv3r broke on a Tuesday).

2) There's now plenty of price competition (Driv3r €34.99 from €59.99 1st weekend) so the price slashing will be fierce...

So it's back to the old mantra...shop around before you buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Originally posted by Absolam
    I reckon Doom III will be one of the few occasions when it will be better to buy on the High Street.

1) The street date will almost certainly be broken so GAME/GameStop/Smyths will have it on sale latest Thursday before release (Driv3r broke on a Tuesday).

2) There's now plenty of price competition (Driv3r €34.99 from €59.99 1st weekend) so the price slashing will be fierce...

So it's back to the old mantra...shop around before you buy!

I have to aggree high street game prices are droping I got metroid prime for 25euro's in gamestop and it is 28euro on play also I purchesed mario kart double dash in game for 50euro its 55 on play but I later realised its only 45 on cdwow so shop around for best value on and offline, but also there is a certain feeling you get when actually buying the game on the high street.
    Richy.

• Advertisement

i emailed play.com about the whole standered/special edition thing they have no information about it so i would assume theres no speical edition

Advertisement