Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SimCity 4 or Rise of Nations?

Options
  • 19-07-2004 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭

Which of the two is more fun / engrossing?!

For some perspective, I have really enjoyed / really enjoy the following:

Civ 3
    Warcraft 3
    Age of Mythology
    Medieval: Total War (but less than the three above)

Did NOT like Empire Earth

So which do you think I'd like better? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

ron is like ee, they are both rubbish

i actually still play ageofconquers online

so that leaves simcity4, i never got into this, becos it ran like muck on my pc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

sim city 4 is also bastardly hard to do any better than "shítty" in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Originally posted by l3rian
    ron is like ee, they are both rubbish

i actually still play ageofconquers online

so that leaves simcity4, i never got into this, becos it ran like muck on my pc

I thought RON sucked the big one, but liked EE... anyway...

dont get RON, it sounds like a nice mix of turn based and strategy, but it just doesnt work well together.

havent tried sim city 4, but heard good things, I guess it depends on your experiences with these kinds of games, i liked sim city 2000 when it was new, hated sim city 3000, but heard sim city 4 was much much better.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Sim city 4 and RoN are completly different games, Sim city 4 in my opinion is the most difficult to do well in, I have not played RoN but it gets good reviews, to me it looks like Age of mythology all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by Stephen
    sim city 4 is also bastardly hard to do any better than "shítty" in.

Aye tbh sim city 4 isnt fun you can brake the game down as follows

1.Start brightly with a plan

2.Carry out plan start to get annoyed with lack of money

3.City falls apart because of
    1.Lack of money
    2.Lack of jobs (crappy ****ing idea)
    3.Lack of customers (crappy ****ing idea)
    4.Lack of airport/seaport (which cost a load to run)

Risen and repeat until bored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Yeah i just got sim city 4 on budget for 15 squid the other week, its kinda fun, watching your little city grow, but as said, you can never get past the stage of having a shitty town. You just keep running out of money, taking out a loan, running out of money take out a loan, get bored, destroy city with giant robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

If you're getting Sim City, get the deluxe edition - this has an expansion pack with it that greatly improves the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

isnt sim city 4 only 15 euro now?

Its not even worth that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

isnt sim city 4 only 15 euro now?
    Yes, just got it in Gamestop the other day for €15. It is only the basic version though. No expansion pack included, and the expansion pack is still full price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

agreed, i downloaded it, its so bloody hard to do well in. Just kept running out of money :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Alright, well what good strategy-type games are out there at the moment? I would prefer games on special offer or budget titles, as I think €40 for any game is a rip-off. Anything as fun and addictive as Civ 3?
    Looking forward to Rome: Total War whenever it comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

If your a fan of RTS games like AOE 1+2 and Age of Mythology get Rise of Nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Simu is right, SC4 is improved ten fold with the expansion pack. I think the reason so many people find the game so hard is that they're too ambitious at first...you need to take it slow. The expansion pack also lets you change the difficulty levels between Easy, Medium and Hard and funnily enough "Hard" is the difficultly of the original game so you should be able to get going properly on the easier settings.

The only gripe I had with the original game was the traffic issues and the whole function of the expansion pack is to correct those issues so I don't think theres anything majorly wrong with the game in it's present form except the population barriers you run into later on. Also if you do decide to get the game make sure to download a region (or make your own) that allows the maximum sized land plots which are four times bigger than the normal ones in Maxisland allowing for populations of 1m+.

You shouldnt have to buy an expansion pack to make the game fun the simple fact that you do makes sim city 4 a crap game tbh

Maybe maxis should of spent less time on the sim expansions (the sims :Going to the bathroom!)and made the game right in the first place :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by ionapaul
    Civ 3
    Warcraft 3
    Age of Mythology

RON is more like the above then SimCity 4, there's no war element to SimCity, which makes it a completely different type of game.

SimCity is all to do with running a city, while in RON is a war game, in which a lot depends on you building your economy as fast as possible to win.

RON has been described to death as a mixture between the turn based Civs and the RTS AOE.

Advertisement