Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics issue

Options
  • 19-07-2004 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am running a p800, 512 ram with windows 98. I also have a Geforce 3 ti 200 card.

The problem is that whenever I run a game I get the following error message

"Unable to set 3D video mode (640 x 480)"

In some games I can change the resolution, to no avail as the games still crash out.

I have also checked for updated Geforce drivers and as far as I can tell I have the most recent versions.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple of other options to try and resolve this problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

er do the usual, check drivers, and or reseat the card, remember always remove current drivers (go to windows VGA) before upgrading or reapplying drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

unfortunately I have already done that.

I have completely removed all graphic drivers, and physically removed the card from the machine.

I then did a complete re-install with the lastest drivers, having previously updated Windows 98, as advised in one of the stickies (using windows update).

the only strange thing is that these games used to run ok before hand (i have already downloaded most of the patches/fixes for the games in question)

I am just finding it frustrating that previously working games on the sames system are now crapping out on me for no apparant reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

perhaps the card is damaged, try downloading a diagnosis tool,a and run dxdiag and have it run the direct 3d test and direct draw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get Linux or Win2k/XP Pro

I got this problem resolved.

If anyone else ever encounters a problem like this, especially with a Geforce card.

Step 1
    Do not download any drivers from creative.com

Step 2
    goto http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and download the latest drivers for your card

Step 3
    Remove your current drivers and card from your system

Step 4
    Re-start your machine, and install the new drivers

Please note that if you have a Geforce card, keep a copy of the driver files somewhere as the Nvidia exe will require certain files from the original drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 CapBean

There is no valid reason to remove your graphics card each time you upgrade the drivers as you seem to be suggesting.

Repeated removing and reseating the card will wear down the cards metal contact strips and will probably damage the mo bo as well. Thats if u dont fry the card with static before then.

There is a removal tool available which will remove all the cards old drivers, you can usually find it on the free cd's given away in mags.

Originally posted by CapBean
    There is no valid reason to remove your graphics card each time you upgrade the drivers as you seem to be suggesting.

sorry you misunderstood me, I meant remove the card and drivers from the hardware configuration, as in my computer, right click, properties, hardware configuration tab and make sure the graphics card has been removed, so that when you restart windows will re-detect it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Yeah its a well known issue with Geforce Drivers. You can have multiple problems if you try to overwrite the old drivers with new ones. As mentioned earlier there are several removal tools or you can disable the card and revert to good old VGA mode, then uninstall the drivers, renable the card and install your new drivers.

On a side note ATI don't have this problem there drivers will install over the old ones no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Allways delete older driver versions from add/remove progs..for nvidia neway :rolleyes:

CC

Advertisement