Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Freespace3, If I build it, will they come?", by Derek Smart Ph.D

Options
  • 16-07-2004 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Possibly a very sad day for the Freespace franchise

The "Alpha male" has spokin' ! The "Ego" has landed. Let the games begin.
    "Think of the fans."

(Just don't mention his name more than three times, or you might get a very unpleasant surprise. :D)

I voted No.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Brilliant! Derek Smart is the funniest man alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

That would be worse than there being no FS3. In the thread he says it's beneath him to make it. All his previous games are way beneath FS2 in my opinion so, for me, this is the worst thing that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I say let him try. If it turns out to be ****e.... well you dont have to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Man, thats just dense. To the point that I fear that if I respond - which I am doing - I'm just going to sink slowly into the void within.

Listen to me.

My post was clear. My POINT was that for someone who has a made a living and career from developing COMPLEX games, doing an action focused same sim with NO relation or scope to the type of games I develop, would be BELOW my skill level. Why? Because my level of advancement, experience and knowledge in this area, are BEYOND that which is needed to do games that NOT of the scope of the games that....aw screw this I'm tired. Fill in the blanks. I'm going outside to pet my neighbor's dog.
    Let me assure you of one thing that you can go to sleep with tonite. I have FULL intentions of getting this license. If I DO get it, you and your teenny leetle friends on your Ferrous Oxide project, are effectively, shutdown because I don't piss around when it comes to IP properties. You would do well to ask around. I've sued publishers for less and I have attorneys around the world, literally on speed dial.

Now, I will leave you with that thought, as I retire for the evening.

You will eventually come to regret this day. Mark my words.

Both quotes from Derek Smart, both from this thread. I'd rather the great mods for FS2 than have him mess with the franchise. His other games really were bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Heh - having your favourite franchise taken over by Derek Smart, damn thats got to rank somewhere around discovering youve got some STD doctors havent named yet. :p

I dont know - maybe hell deliver a fantastic game, maybe he wont but hell do his absolute best to alienate everyone except the most servile fanboys.

I used to read the BC forums when I was interested in the game but I got very freaked out about how....beaten the posters were. Everything was Yes sir, No sir, any innocent remark would bring down a sneering dismissal/abuse which was responded to by the offender begging for forgiveness!

Theres a lot of people out there with real hate for DS, I dont as I never posted on his forum at all, but that forum was like a room of battered wives locked in with their drunken domineering husbands.

I see hes already trying on the charm with the FS fanboys - I agree with his general point that hes the developer and he cant take feedback from 5000 different posters each with their own idea for a really "kewl" game - but he could take a leaf out of Epics book, say "Yes we value your contributions, please email them to trashcan@3000ad.com and well evaluate them and get back to you". Just cant seem to avoid picking a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

lol, what a tosser
    sueing someone for modding a game is seriously stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I say let him have it. If the game is a shambles (and lets face, there's every possibility it will be... after all its "beneath his abilities" anyway) at least the flamewar will start up again :D

Besides, whats the alternative?

If its bad I won't even consider buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I forgot the obligatory....
    Derek Smart!
    Derek Smart!!
    DEREK SMART!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I had the misfortune to buy two Drek Smarts games. If I had seen his name on the second one i wouldn't of bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wow there isn’t a device in the world capable of removing his head from his arse is there?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I just hope those rumours of Elite 4 are true...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, what a wanker.

Advertisement