Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish map sites

Options
  • 17-04-2004 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Misleading title and maybe wrong forum ? there used to be a site where you would key in your street/location and it would bring up a map of your area and you could zoom in for an overhead shot of your house, anyone know what i'm talking about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

www.iol.ie then goto mapping. Not sure if it's still there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

It is still there, but you have to text a number to get a code to use the service now.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

You can get similar mapping (same company provides the base maps) at www.myhome.ie, go to Search by Map. The search facility isn't as detailed as what was offered on IOL as you can generally only search by locality.

If you are looking for maps in the South Dublin Co Co area you could look at www.sdublincoco.ie there are maps there to help find polling stations, planning applications and the like here . This is meant to be integrated into their planning lists, but you can bypass that and browse away (bearing in mind that clickng on the map identifies a planning application). SOme of the other Co. Councils may have similar mapping facilities.

HTH

AT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

this has relativly detailed maps of....THE WHOLE WORLD.

its really quite amazing

Yeah, MapQuest do really nice mapping. Unfortunatley most mapping sites don't do very detailed maps for Ireland, and you generally won't get decent address search facilities. The AA do some routing, and used to do maps, but I'm not sure about the maps anymore (there was a copyright issue a while back with OSI I think).

Another really amazing site with good mapping for Europe and the UK is Map24. Purely from the perspective of visual style and how the maps zoom, it's one of the sexyist I've seen, but not much for Ireland, certainly no aerial photographs or satellite imagery like our home-grown sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Try www.iavi.ie/addressform.asp and put in the general area. If you'rein the area covered, you just have to zoom in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's all donw by a company called Mapflow (the IOL stuff anyway). they used to do a free trial of it while they were getting it up and running, but as has been changed to s subscription service you can pay by txt from your mobile credit now though, so it's not too bad. use it myself. handy if you need to find places in dublin and get a point to point route anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by vibe666
    it's all donw by a company called Mapflow (the IOL stuff anyway). they used to do a free trial of it while they were getting it up and running, but as has been changed to s subscription service you can pay by txt from your mobile credit now though, so it's not too bad. use it myself. handy if you need to find places in dublin and get a point to point route anyway.

http://www.mapquest.com/ is free. Is the IOL one is more detailed or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

The imagery for Waterford seems to be years out of date for the IOL/Mapflow one. I was using it for WiFi network planning and in some places there are buildings where the images have green field sites. Mapwise it is probably ok.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dsimpson

some of those map sites have dropped maps of certain areas that people just don't want to look at...

Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Waterford
    Ballymun
    Sligo...
    Limerick

and who can blame them...

A real viewpoint from real people......

www.nitalk.com

• Advertisement

Originally posted by monument
    http://www.mapquest.com/ is free. Is the IOL one is more detailed or something?

As vibe666 pointed out, the IOL mapping is based on maps created by MapFlow, a competitor to Ordnance Survey Ireland. As such, the mapping is much more detailed for Ireland than most sites you'd get that are based outside Ireland (like MapQuest, which is American, owned by AOL I think). MapFlow provided free access for ages, but I guess they needed to start charging.

Of course all of these get out of date pretty quick, as they don't fly new photography every year. OSI's last batch of colour photography for the country was in 2000, but I think they are reflying now. Don't know what MapFlows was from, but it's at least 2-3 years old now.

The data on the other "world-wide" mapping sites doesn't come from MapFlow, more likely they generate mapping based on OSI data (under license?) or their own data sources. Of course in these cases they'll only do detailed maps for major cities, and no, they don;t leave out areas like Ballymun because people aren't interesting in looking at them :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by dsimpson
    some of those map sites have dropped maps of certain areas that people just don't want to look at...

Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Waterford
    Ballymun
    Sligo...
    Limerick

and who can blame them...

A real viewpoint from real people......

www.nitalk.com

Tripe!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Adeptus Titanicus
    As vibe666 pointed out, the IOL mapping is based on maps created by MapFlow, a competitor to Ordnance Survey Ireland.

O, right, the IOL one is that detailed. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Coll site for aerial photos Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Map24, a souped up version of Mapquest, it is Here and allows neat distance measuring with a tool thang.

Java required

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Map24 is pretty bitchin, the detail is amazing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement