Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking ban to be lifted in Killarney in June?

Options
  • 17-04-2004 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hmmm. I hadn't seen anyone pick up on this in any threads so far but this seems a little bizarre, no? So if your a big name who isn't even a citizen of this country you can get the ban lifted while the rest of us smokers are consigned to standing outside pubs like lepers? Money talks.... If the ban is lifted for this, I say the whole concept of the ban is a joke.

Killarney to be let off smoking ban in June

MINISTER for Arts, Tourism and Sport John O’Donoghue has asked the Minister for Health Michael Martin to suspend the smoking ban in Killarney for the duration of SummerFest in late June The Kerryman has learnt. Organisers of the festival confirmed earlier this week that SummerFest headliner Bryan Adams, a sixty a day smoker, is refusing to travel to Ireland if the smoking ban remains in place. The Canadian rocker, who headlines SummerFest, told The Kerryman he relies on cigarettes to ‘huskify’ his voice. Under the current terms of the smoking ban no artists would be allowed to smoke onstage or anywhere within twenty five metres of the sound stages, despite the concerts in question being held outdoors at Fitzgerald Stadium.

If Minister O’Donoghue is successful in his bid to have the ban overturned, and early indications from the Department of Health suggest he will be, it will mean a pint and a cigarette reprieve for pub patrons from June 26 to July 3 as the lifting of the ban will apply to the townland of Killarney.

However Kris Kristofferson, who plays Killarney on Sunday June 26 told The Kerryman that he welcomed the introduction of the smoking ban, adding that his manager Robert McGee had explained the background to the ban and both were in favour. As the entire country was behind the ban, Kristofferson added that was ‘good enough for me and Robert McGee.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Bryan Adams? The same guy who bought the pub across the road from his house and closed it down 'cos the music was keeping him awake at night? Christ, I wouldn't mind too much if they lifted the ban for a decent musician, but him. moeny talks, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Bryan Adams can go bugger himself if he isn't going to respect the Irish laws as far as I'm concerned. He really must have hit a new low if he's playing in Killarney. Also if the Minister of Health is going to lift the ban for something as trivial as this does it not undermine the law? Would be very short sighted in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Surely an outdoor venue would be allowed, judging by what i've been seeing as smoking areas for pubs the last few days.
    It won't be lifted for him, no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Have you got a link for this? Seems... well, made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by alleepally
    The Canadian rocker, who headlines SummerFest, told The Kerryman he relies on cigarettes to ‘huskify’ his voice.

LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I just went back to the Kerryman website on Unison and looked again at the detail

http://www.unison.ie/kerryman/stories.php3?ca=34&si=1155877&issue_id=10662

I didn't post the link originally as you have to be signed up with Unison to see it. So I went back and looked at the date it was posted and guess what it was on April 1st...

God, I feel so thick.

Someone ban me.

!!!!

10/10 to exit there who I see sent a reply while I was typing this!!!

Advertisement