Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dury duty???!!!!?!??

Options
  • 07-04-2004 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

didnt know where to post this so i did here.

i got a letter in the door yesterday summonsing me for dury duty....lmfao

anyone know an easy way to get outr of this.....
    im on athlone and the ****in thing is in mullingar 36 miles away...
    i have no means of transport only my 2 legs.

and i really dont wanna do it anyway.can i get my boss to rwefuse to let me go , or get a doctors note???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Tell them to f*ck off. Then accuse them of corruption. You'll probably be fairly on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

Tell them you know the person who is being tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

Wish I got called for jury duty. Couple of paids days off work. It's all good as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tell them you can't even spell "jury", what use would you be.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

or as the great homer simpson said "tell them that you hate all groups" or something along those lines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

seriously lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

tell them your self employed can cant stop working, worked a charm for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Homer actually said to tell them youre prejudiced against all races but that neither here nor there.

You can get your doctor to get you excused and Im pretty sure your boss can too.
    You can also claim compassionate leave, say a friend of yours has just been through a difficult court experience and you would find it upsetting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

thats why i said or something along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I just got one in the door. Found out you cannot be excused by your employer.
    Pulling a sicky would probably do it, but if you got a few days off work with pay, no harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The best thing to do, is tell them you live 36 miles away from the court-house, and have no means of transport. Or else book a holiday during the jury period.. That'll do it too..

Telling them that you know the Defendant won't work, because you haven't been assigned to a case yet (and chances are you you wont be called on for a case anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How come I've never been called for this? I'd love to sit on a jury! A few days paid leave from work, plus I'm registered to vote at home in Galway so presumably that's where I'd be called for Jury Duty... So I'd be able to worm at least an extra day for travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    The best thing to do, is tell them you live 36 miles away from the court-house, and have no means of transport. Or else book a holiday during the jury period.. That'll do it too..

Telling them that you know the Defendant won't work, because you haven't been assigned to a case yet (and chances are you you wont be called on for a case anyway).

Telling them you live 36 miles from the court probably won't work either as the court will pay your travelling expenses.
    You'll be brought into a room and told about the case then people can say
    "the defendant lives on my road" or
    "I'm in the same business as him"
    and you'll be excused.
    However, you'll be back the next day (and for several more until you get picked) and go through the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're a student you're exempt afaik.

Why not go? Bring a good book. Sit on your ass reading and get paid for it. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Originally posted by demanufactured
    didnt know where to post this so i did here.

i got a letter in the door yesterday summonsing me for dury duty....lmfao

anyone know an easy way to get outr of this.....
    im on athlone and the ****in thing is in mullingar 36 miles away...
    i have no means of transport only my 2 legs.

and i really dont wanna do it anyway.can i get my boss to rwefuse to let me go , or get a doctors note???

I did it - 3 weeks of work :)

anyway the easiest way (seen other people doing it there)
    Go on the first day - wait until you are called onto a jury - at that time you will be asked if there is any reason you can't do it
    Just say - II have holidays booked during that period -
    They don't check - you will be immediately excused - walk out the door a free amn :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Or you could just do it, why does everyone think this is a death sentence? (excuse the pun)

yeah it's best just to get it over with I think. try to get picked on the first day and then you're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Very easy.

When they're talking to you just ask, with as straight a face as possible, "Will there be real corpses? Can I touch them?".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

tell em "your are prejudice to all religions and races and that the guy is porbably guilty anyway"

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Tell them you're delighted to be chosen because you have the unique gift of being able to tell if someone is guilty simply by looking at them.

But seriously, I got one of those when I was in college. I simply wrote back asking to be excused because I had to study for exams! and it worked! HAHAHAHAHA! THE FOOLS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sleipnir:Telling them you live 36 miles from the court probably won't work either as the court will pay your travelling expenses.

Actually, the court doesn't pay your travel expenses.. Or any other expenses, for that matter..
    They'll get you your lunch, and put you up in a hotel, in only very extreme (and rare) situations.

Occasions when you may be excused:
    The County Registrar or the trial judge may excuse you if he is satisfied that there is "good reason" for doing so.

I think not being able to get to the court, would be a 'good reason'.
    The county registrars are usually reasonable enough, and will excuse you for things like illness, holidays, and reasonable excuses..

Bottom line, easiest way to avoid jury duty, is commit a crime, and spend some time in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Im just wondering because I work shift work, will I get paid fully (my shift allowance included).

I asked my HR department & they advised me to get in touch with the register lady that sent me out the summons

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Actually, the court doesn't pay your travel expenses

You're absolutely right. Thought I'd read it somewhere......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Tell them that you are a firm believer that everyone is guilty & very seldom change your mind [even when the are proven to be innocent or someone else confesses]!!

Seriously though, I got a letter from my boss [was called for a case in October - clashed with Return of Income time] & was excused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neophyte1971

Just do it and dont be moaning.....lol

You would have some laugh sending a knacker to jail for selling you a faulty caravan tommy!!!!!!

seriously just tell them you cant get time off from work and that normally tells them to politely but firmly shove it up their HOLES!!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Accept it, and when they talk to you tell them, "It is not just for me to judge them. I turn to God for my answers and He will tell me, in my head, whether this person be damned or saved. I listen only to His voice."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

so do they check if your unemployed? I wouldnt mind getting it and fooling them into thinking I have a job so they pay me..

just do it, if your lucky it will be some horrendous case that would warp the mind of anyone involved, and the judge will excuse you all from future jury duty for life :D

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

if you're lucky it will be some horrendous case that would warp the mind of anyone involved

:dunno: yeah..but only if you're really lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ask them is it ok if you wear your Klan uniform, because you'll probably have a lyniching to attend that night and can't get home in time to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Got called a couple of years ago. Got my then employer to write to the court asking for me to be excused as I was essential to the company's operations - as I in fact was at the time. They excused me but I got called again 6 months later & had to go.

I heard that if you wore a suit & tie they don't select you. So I tried that. It worked. Was sent home & excused for 2 or 3 years - forget which (I know it's done by a ballot).

It would be a real pain in the arse to have to do it if you were running your own business. Maybe if all else fails play the illiteracy card :D

Advertisement