Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women - Know your place!!

Options
  • 20-03-2004 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just a thought...and no this is not a troll!

Can anyone think of a decent invention that a woman has come up with?

We've been racking our brains and just can't think of any!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ah **** this is going to start one almighty flame war / 40 page uber thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Children.

Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

the bra..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Sarky
    Children.

Think about it.

i have decided that doesn't count. that is all.

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dirty_latino

In anticipation of the many replies.....

Marie Curie:

First of all she was a man, have you seen any pictures of her?

She/he was married to a physicist, who some have speculated did all the actual work.

Minor Inventions:

Please don't mention any minor, crappy, inventions, especially those related to "domestic duties" ; sewing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

whining?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

how minor is "minor"
    Mary Anderson -- windshield wiper : makes driving safer and a lot more comfortable :)

I'd certainly consider it minor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Didnt some woman invent vel-cro? or was that just that enterprise epsiode. i remember hearing bout that before the episode though so i am confused. Dreams reality dreams reality. it can all get very confusing

mmm Im not sure if it was a woman or not, maybe not many people know who invented that because its not very important?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Well, women haven't exactly had the best opportunities have they? They were only allowed to attend trinity college 100 years ago compared to about 400 years for men. So when women aren't allowed access to the best education or even any education how are they supposed to come up with the same things? Even when they do have good education they are generally held to be more responsible for raising kids and keeping good households not having great brainwaves.

Not that they haven't I'm sure there must be some great inventions, I just can't think of any :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

well they weren't encouraged in education and the like up until relatively recently so it is fair to say we had a headstart, what have YOU invented?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Recently a group of women designed a car for women, by women. I can't remember most of it's "improvements" over current cars, but one I remember is a complicated valve system, liable to break easily, to replace the simple petrol cap in contemporary cars, so women will not have to break their fingernails while removing and replacing the cap. I'll try to get a link.

[EDIT] http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1749538 [/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

so women will not have to break their fingernails while removing and replacing the cap

That truely ranks up there with bridges doesnt it :dunno: :p

oh and it was a volvo (ford) and will never ever be built .....notting but a public relations stunt me thinks

Hedy Lamarr - the mobile phone..
    came up with the original idea and patent..
    also a movie star..

Do you really think that the oppression/no opportunities argument really holds up for all of history. Also what about in the last 100 years of "trinity"? surely if it was oppression, since its cessation in our society, whats the excuse for modern women not having invented anything of note?

Those women who've had murder sentences reduced to manslaughter by coming up with 'that time of the month' as a defence?

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    Hedy Lamarr - the mobile phone..
    came up with the original idea and patent..
    also a movie star..

Firstly, she did not invent the mobile phone.
    Secondly, what about her male co-inventor(a bit of a coincidence)?
    Thirdly, she simply invented a very simplistic way to avoid eavesdropping on wireless comms!

Put that in your bra and smoke it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I got it... WAR!....

oh wait... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

original sin

• Advertisement

ding ding, we have a winner

I wasn't trying to say that we can blame everything on the oppression of women. Of course we can't, but you can't overlook the fact that women didn't have the same opportunities as men and while things are a lot better these days it still lingers.

Possibly men are more motivated to invent stuff... to become famous, willing to spend lots of time on far out ideas.

There's a list of female inventors here (from google)
    http://inventors.about.com/library/blwomeninventors.htm
    but most of them seem to only have done little things like additions to ironing boards and new brushes. Although there are some good ones in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Radiation and Bra's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by dirty_latino
    Windscreen wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

well i think to be fair we'll have to discount everything up until 1960 since women practically werent even allowed invent anything until then. I vaguely remember a story of a french female mathematician in the late middle ages being burnt as a witch......

Ruth Wakefield - Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

The soprano voice

Originally posted by dirty_latino
    Firstly, she did not invent the mobile phone.
    Secondly, what about her male co-inventor(a bit of a coincidence)?

she was the first person to patent the idea.. so yes she came up with the idea first,
    so the fact that she had a male counterpart automatically means she was just a dumb broad just hanging off his coat tails..

oh and dishwasher and kevlar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by skipn_easy
    I wasn't trying to say that we can blame everything on the oppression of women. Of course we can't, but you can't overlook the fact that women didn't have the same opportunities as men and while things are a lot better these days it still lingers.

As soon as they get the chance to lead major countries and their armies, I'm fully confident they'll be at least as evil, ruthless and devious as their male counterparts. That opportunity arguement works both ways, you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Martha Coston invented a pyrotechnic signaling system known as maritime signal flares. Useful in Wars.

now go back to your cave where you came from sexist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement