Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women - Know your place!!

• 20-03-2004 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just a thought...and no this is not a troll!

Can anyone think of a decent invention that a woman has come up with?

We've been racking our brains and just can't think of any!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ah **** this is going to start one almighty flame war / 40 page uber thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Children.

Think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

the bra..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Sarky
    Children.

Think about it.

i have decided that doesn't count. that is all.

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dirty_latino

In anticipation of the many replies.....

Marie Curie:

First of all she was a man, have you seen any pictures of her?

She/he was married to a physicist, who some have speculated did all the actual work.

Minor Inventions:

Please don't mention any minor, crappy, inventions, especially those related to "domestic duties" ; sewing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

whining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

how minor is "minor"
    Mary Anderson -- windshield wiper : makes driving safer and a lot more comfortable :)

I'd certainly consider it minor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Didnt some woman invent vel-cro? or was that just that enterprise epsiode. i remember hearing bout that before the episode though so i am confused. Dreams reality dreams reality. it can all get very confusing

mmm Im not sure if it was a woman or not, maybe not many people know who invented that because its not very important?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Well, women haven't exactly had the best opportunities have they? They were only allowed to attend trinity college 100 years ago compared to about 400 years for men. So when women aren't allowed access to the best education or even any education how are they supposed to come up with the same things? Even when they do have good education they are generally held to be more responsible for raising kids and keeping good households not having great brainwaves.

Not that they haven't I'm sure there must be some great inventions, I just can't think of any :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

well they weren't encouraged in education and the like up until relatively recently so it is fair to say we had a headstart, what have YOU invented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Recently a group of women designed a car for women, by women. I can't remember most of it's "improvements" over current cars, but one I remember is a complicated valve system, liable to break easily, to replace the simple petrol cap in contemporary cars, so women will not have to break their fingernails while removing and replacing the cap. I'll try to get a link.

[EDIT] http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1749538 [/EDIT]

so women will not have to break their fingernails while removing and replacing the cap

That truely ranks up there with bridges doesnt it :dunno: :p

oh and it was a volvo (ford) and will never ever be built .....notting but a public relations stunt me thinks

Hedy Lamarr - the mobile phone..
    came up with the original idea and patent..
    also a movie star..

Do you really think that the oppression/no opportunities argument really holds up for all of history. Also what about in the last 100 years of "trinity"? surely if it was oppression, since its cessation in our society, whats the excuse for modern women not having invented anything of note?

Those women who've had murder sentences reduced to manslaughter by coming up with 'that time of the month' as a defence?

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    Hedy Lamarr - the mobile phone..
    came up with the original idea and patent..
    also a movie star..

Firstly, she did not invent the mobile phone.
    Secondly, what about her male co-inventor(a bit of a coincidence)?
    Thirdly, she simply invented a very simplistic way to avoid eavesdropping on wireless comms!

Put that in your bra and smoke it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I got it... WAR!....

oh wait... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

original sin

• Advertisement

ding ding, we have a winner

I wasn't trying to say that we can blame everything on the oppression of women. Of course we can't, but you can't overlook the fact that women didn't have the same opportunities as men and while things are a lot better these days it still lingers.

Possibly men are more motivated to invent stuff... to become famous, willing to spend lots of time on far out ideas.

There's a list of female inventors here (from google)
    http://inventors.about.com/library/blwomeninventors.htm
    but most of them seem to only have done little things like additions to ironing boards and new brushes. Although there are some good ones in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Radiation and Bra's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by dirty_latino
    Windscreen wipers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

well i think to be fair we'll have to discount everything up until 1960 since women practically werent even allowed invent anything until then. I vaguely remember a story of a french female mathematician in the late middle ages being burnt as a witch......

Ruth Wakefield - Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

The soprano voice

Firstly, she did not invent the mobile phone.
    Secondly, what about her male co-inventor(a bit of a coincidence)?

she was the first person to patent the idea.. so yes she came up with the idea first,
    so the fact that she had a male counterpart automatically means she was just a dumb broad just hanging off his coat tails..

oh and dishwasher and kevlar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by skipn_easy
    I wasn't trying to say that we can blame everything on the oppression of women. Of course we can't, but you can't overlook the fact that women didn't have the same opportunities as men and while things are a lot better these days it still lingers.

As soon as they get the chance to lead major countries and their armies, I'm fully confident they'll be at least as evil, ruthless and devious as their male counterparts. That opportunity arguement works both ways, you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Martha Coston invented a pyrotechnic signaling system known as maritime signal flares. Useful in Wars.

now go back to your cave where you came from sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Didn't some lass invent kevlar? Saved countless lives and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Originally posted by Sarky
    As soon as they get the chance to lead major countries and their armies, I'm fully confident they'll be at least as evil, ruthless and devious as their male counterparts. That opportunity arguement works both ways, you know...

Except for a couple of days every month where the world may end:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

What about Ada Byron, writer of the first computer program?

What about Grace Hopper, inventor of the modern subroutine in programming, she also coined the term "computer bug"?

Just because female inventors aren't as well known, doesn't mean that they don't exist. Anyways, what are you insinuating by your question, dirty_latino??

Originally posted by sionnach
    I vaguely remember a story of a french female mathematician in the late middle ages being burnt as a witch......

Yep, that would be Maria Agnesi.... apparently women with intelligence didn't go down too well back then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Originally posted by Auburn
    Yep, that would be Maria Agnesi.... apparently women with intelligence didn't go down too well back then :p

good times......good times.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Make-up (I think)

I know, its a real sad one, ahhhhhhhh well.........

Originally posted by sionnach
    good times......good times.......

Why? Does it make you feel threatened? :D

Why? Does it make you feel threatened? :D

you seem to feel threatened by the suggestion that the male brain is better suited to creative thought than the female brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

They invented stuff to make life in the kitchen easier. Like:

Ironing Boards
    Dishwasher
    Rolling Pin
    Chocolate Chip Cookies

and for the one that tried to get away

The Fire Escape

Joking by the way, I'm not really a horrible sexist who believes all women should be chained to the sink (although it would be useful :p )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    the bra..
    No that was invented by a man - first one was made from a pocket hankie - lets hope it was clean. ;)

Patenting something does not mean you invented it. At present half of all patents challanged are overturned. In the US Donald Trump is trying to Trademark the phrase "you're fired" even though there is some evidence to suppose it was used earlier - eg: several million times in 1929 alone (and that was over 70 years ago.)

Ada wrote the first program, woppie do for, so you are telling me that Babbage who devised this machine didn't have any idea of how it could be used... (does anyone have a copy of the program and has it been run on the reproduction of Babbages machine ?) :D

So what exactly did Pandora invent ?

• Advertisement

you seem to feel threatened by the suggestion that the male brain is better suited to creative thought than the female brain.

Ooooooook..... :confused:

1. Was I talking to you?
    2. Where exactly do i seem to be threatened? If you are referring to my previous post, I was joking, that's generally why people use smilies.
    3. Where exactly did you make that suggestion?
    4. What facts do you have to back up your theory?
    5. Creativity does not have anything to do with having patents / inventions attributed to a person.

The title of the thread suggests that you think women shouldn't be involved in scientific invention. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Ooooooook..... :confused:

1. Was I talking to you?
    2. Where exactly do i seem to be threatened? If you are referring to my previous post, I was joking, that's generally why people use smilies.
    3. Where exactly did you make that suggestion?
    4. What facts do you have to back up your theory?
    5. Creativity does not have anything to do with having patents / inventions attributed to a person.

The title of the thread suggests that you think women shouldn't be involved in scientific invention. Why?

1. my thread - YES
    2. smilies are a thinly layered defence mechanism
    3. everywhere
    4. scientific research that proved this
    5. loser excuse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

ooops - last post was actually by dirty_latino from my computer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

interesing thread.

one important thing to remember though is that women have had it very hard for thousands of years and been treated as second class citizens, and this just doesn't go away because of a few decades of improved equal rights.

i think that the problem lies not with the laws stating women's rights to equal pay, education etc. but with the way in which every female is born with the history of a "woman's place in society" embedded into her brain from her very birth. it's like for us men being told of what kind of job we should have when we grow up (i.e. fireman etc.) and what we shouldn't have as a job (i.e. nurse etc.), purely based on the fact that we're born a male. this is in my opinion why there are so few male nurses compared to female for example, the same may in theory appliy to why women have invented very little compared to men, as such an area (inventing things) has been the sole territory of men for thousands of years and women have been told so ever since they were born.

also there may be very little "ground breaking" inventions left for women to leave their mark with, i find it hard to see many new inventions as ground breaking as the wheel, flight etc. coming anytime soon from either a man or woman

no matter how great we men think we are, we wouldn't be here today were it not for women. also looking in the way things are progressing in terms of test tube babies etc., women may soon no longer have a need for us :-(

us men could be an "endangered sex" if we're not careful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by mr_angry
    ooops - last post was actually by dirty_latino from my computer!!

A likely story!

we wouldn't be here today were it not for women.

and women wouldnt be here today were it not for men
    also looking in the way things are progressing in terms of test tube babies etc., women may soon no longer have a need for us

Er that goes both way's isnt there a womb in devolpment somewhere ?
    us men could be an "endangered sex" if we're not careful..

"If we're not careful" WTF careful about what ....."er love no you are fat and that dress looks horrible" .......What she going to do genocide on 3 billion people ?

FFS i hate threads like this pointless and full of thinly hidden hate for each other and threats of one "side" killing off the other "side" at some future date it’s like ****ing sci fi ...........what a lovely society we have built over the last few years eh

[/Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Actually there is no scientific proof to show that women are less creative orintelligent than men. There are certain chemical differences and there seems to be a slight difference in activity, but in terms of actual intelligence all things are equal as far as any peer reviewed unbiased scientific journals can guess. Women do seem to regulate more "motional" neurochemicals which may work to their advantage in terms of drive and ambition, but noone has actually shown this.

On the other hand, men may be an endangered species. Some evidence suggests that the male chromosome may be lost in evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by bizmark
    and women wouldnt be here today were it not for men

true, forgot to add that, had a feeling someone would post that after i re-read my post :-)

Er that goes both way's isnt there a womb in devolpment somewhere ?

you're joking right? i can just imagine some scientist actually thinking of doing that, scary thought i.m.o., doubt it'd work though, so much more complicated in comparision to a test tube baby

"If we're not careful" WTF careful about what ....."er love no you are fat and that dress looks horrible" .......What she going to do genocide on 3 billion people ?

i meant in regards to men's continuing oppression of women (in terms of pay, job oppurtunities etc.) as its being going on for thousands of years as it is and doesn't seem to be near being over even though its much less in modern, democratic countries then it was in the past...

my point was more of a joke... a bad one it appears..

FFS i hate threads like this pointless and full of thinly hidden hate for each other and threats of one "side" killing off the other "side" at some future date it’s like ****ing sci fi ...........what a lovely society we have built over the last few years eh

[/Rant]

have to agree with you there.

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

Originally posted by syke
    Actually there is no scientific proof to show that women are less creative orintelligent than men. There are certain chemical differences and there seems to be a slight difference in activity, but in terms of actual intelligence all things are equal as far as any peer reviewed unbiased scientific journals can guess. Women do seem to regulate more "motional" neurochemicals which may work to their advantage in terms of drive and ambition, but noone has actually shown this.

On the other hand, men may be an endangered species. Some evidence suggests that the male chromosome may be lost in evolution.

Really? Didnt research show, however, that male brains were more attuned to focusing and concentrating on specific tasks, whereas female brains had evolved to be more efficient at multitasking (presumably to for domestic reasons)? The fact that mens brains can remained focused on solving a problem may lend credibility to the fact that men have been more intellectual and inventive over the years. Biologically speaking.

Also, regarding the male chromosone being lost in evolution, how is this possible, as any genetic make-up which promotes such a trait would surely not survive natural selection, and what benefit would the loss of the chromosone be, to us as a species?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Just a thought...and no this is not a troll!

For your sake, you better be right, I will be watching this one very closely.

The thread name alone is just about enough for me to lock this...all its going to take is 1 flame/troll...said flamer/troller will also be punished accordingly...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement