Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is a gamble? y/n

• 29-02-2004 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Is life just a gamble? I am wondering what most people think so i decided to post this. I belive life is a gamble.

I am going to discribe 2 people in brief and then you all vote on who has lived the better life

Person 1.

Born 1/3/85
    Lived a good life. Always did what he was told. When reached school anways did work tried his best spent almost all of his time outside school studying. Didnt reley have much of a social life. Mabe about a half a hour of Computer or TV a day. He does his leaving cert. Does great say 500 points.
    Gets hit by a car 1/9/2004

Person 2.

Born 1/3/85
    Wasent the greatest person. Never botherd to work. He just enjoyed life all the time. Never did any sort of study or anything like that. Had a great time every single day. Always did what he wanted
    Gets hit by a car 1/9/2004

2 people born same day die same day.
    Person1 = Dosent takes risks always playes it safe.
    Person2 = Takes risks by never working.

Who lived the better life?
    Person1
    Person2

My point is that at any moment anything could happen. tomorrow dublin could get hit by a astroid. Anything can happen at any time. Anyone could get cancer or some other fatel diesse. I belive that since anything can happen at any moment. Why play it safe?
    I know that if everyone had that view socaity wouldent function. So i am not trying to make some crazy point. Im just saying that there is more to life than those who spend life like person No.1

Who has lived the better life? 9 votes

Person 1
    0% 0 votes
    Person 2
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wow, brilliant deduction einstein...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

lol kaids, took the words out of my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Life & Work are both four letter words.
    I like life better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Originally posted by User45701

....Born 1/3/85

Who lived the better life?

Said people are 19 :rolleyes:

In 10+ years the answer will be quite clearly person A, who will be well educated and have a much, much higher chance of gaining a good job.

Person B? Met too many people like that. Good luck to him :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You're not give a 10+ year option. It's stated they die 1/9/04

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

Person 1. In life it is not the triumph that matters, but the struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Originally posted by Makaveli
    You're not give a 10+ year option. It's stated they die 1/9/04

I meant to say that it would be different looking IF they lived longer :)

Yes, yes thats it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Person 3.

Born 1/3/85
    Was extremely fat. Never botherd to work. He just ate all the time. Never did any sort of study or anything like that. Had a McDonald's Super Size meal every single day. Always did what he wanted
    Gets hit by a car 1/9/2004.
    Survives the accident due to the the rolls and rolls of fat protecting his body
    Person 3 wins!!!

By 2010 average sized people will be all but wiped out. Extremely fat people will inherit the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Id say both of dem were good people as long as they did what they wanted to do and didnt mess anyone else up in the process. We're only here once and you could be dead in the morning so feck it just do what you want and do the best you can at it. I did feck all in school but am only doing well for myself cos ive got off my ass and worked for it. Ive been lucky sometimes and disasterously unlucky other times. you should definatly spend as much time as you can enjoying yourself cos you never know when its gonna change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The reason why i made them die at 19 was to prove that life is a gamble. Person 2 took the risks and it paid off he had a more enjoyable life then person 1 who played it safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Seems to me that person 2 had the better time during his life, but that's the luck of the draw. As someone mentioned earlier, extend that timescale by 10 years, and person 1 would almost certainly have come out top. Too little risk and fun is a bad thing, I'll agree, but there's no sense in planning only for the short term.

You may as well invent a case where it's 20 years down the road and person 1 has gone on to become a successful career man/woman, has a family, security, etc, and has a great life. Person 2 has no motivation due to lazing his way through life, works as a janitor, is divorced, is on the verge of suicide due to depression. Your case doesn't prove a thing. Most people won't die at age 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Survives the accident due to the the rolls and rolls of fat protecting his body

Then sues the driver and wins becoming rich.

Btw, how do you know person 2 didn't throw themselves under a car?

Sure you could be hit by a car tomorrow, but doesn't mean you should stop everything your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Before you know it you'll be on your death bed. You'll be reviewing your life. Do not have regrets.

When it comes to every decision, I decide based on what I'll have wished I'd done when I'm on my death bed...

Better to regret something I have done, than something I haven't... you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

person 2 sounds like he would have been a bit of a d i c k.

"Wasn’t the greatest person"

"Never bothered to work"

"Always did what he wanted"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Maybe person 1 had a good life. Who's to say he wasn't enjoying himself, just because his take on life doesn't fit into the quintessential view on enjoyment, doesn't mean he had a worse life than person 2.

Also, what sico said was right, you can't plan for the short term, accidents happen obviously, but as statistics will prove, only to the minority. So in my opinion life isn't a gamble, but a series of calculated risks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

For the life that they had, I'd say person 2, but people don't generally die at 19 years old! It fact the chances of it happenning are very very low in Ireland. You can't act like person 2 and say "ah sure we could all be dead in the morning", because the chances are we won't be! Chances are we will live until at least 60, in which case person 1 will have the better life. That said I think a little bit from column A, little bit from column B might be in order. You can work hard, do well, and still have a good social life!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

build a safety net ... then jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Who are we to judge who had the "better" life? Its not as if 4 bullet-points can describe the sum total of a person's life anyway, is it?

Walking out your door every morning is a gamble. There could be a truck out there with your name on it, but most people take their chances anyway. How could life not be a gamble, regardless of what you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

neither had a better life they both died before it got going.

i think enjoy life till your about 21 do **** all go out on the piss do nothing take risks but after 21 start to get it together if you dont you'll be in trouble but still dont be afraid to take risks for taking risks makes life exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Dave
    Maybe person 1 had a good life. Who's to say he wasn't enjoying himself, just because his take on life doesn't fit into the quintessential view on enjoyment, doesn't mean he had a worse life than person 2.

i agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Originally posted by meatball
    Person 1. In life it is not the triumph that matters, but the struggle.

Good point :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

get busy living or get busy dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Person 1. They were obviously on the road to something and sounded like the kind of person who gains extreme satisfaction from that. His life may have been cut short but given
    a) no afterlife - it's not like he'd have cared
    b) afterlife - sounds like he had the kind of qualities that could be carried over

Person 2, sounds like a waster. No real purpose in life so tries to justify it as "I do what I like every day" probably because it's too much work to do anything for more than a day.

That was good i got everyones views.

True that if you skip it 20 years down the line who would have the better life. But dont forget all about chance and stuff.

There is a posibality that person 2 could get the lotery or think of a great new product/idia. Its all a gamble.

What if you take a VERY wealthy person like that guy who owns virgin - as a far as i know he didnt have a full education (i could be thinking of some other rich guy) so no full time education means he didnt work in school, probbley enjoyed himself allot but still succeaded in the end.

I have a good example.

Simpsions
    Homer simpsion and Mike Grimes.
    Grimey worked HARD all his life and homer was a moron who never worked but still got by better than grimey he also had kids and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by User45701

Simpsions
    Homer simpsion and Mike Grimes.
    Grimey worked HARD all his life and homer was a moron who never worked but still got by better than grimey he also had kids and family.

Grimes had a son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

whoever was happiest.

Some would say person1 wasent happy he just convicned himself he was happy.
    Some would also say that about person2.

Yes yes i forgot that grimey liked hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I believe its not the destination but the jurney!

You must become the path before you can truly appreciate all the path has to give.
    ( And so on and so forth with the Chinese Proverbs)

Who knows may be they both enjoyed their lifes. Just because person a was committed to school and work doesent mean to say he didnt enjoy it .! Yes there is people like that...

Good thought though. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Only each of them can say if they had a good life or not. They might think that between them they each had the better life. You can't really compare though because your life is made up of experiences. They might be dull and boring, they might be exciting, though each might be of equal importance to either person.

So if you want to do something with your life just ****ing do it. Whatever you want. If you want to play it safe that's a means to an end. If you want to do something now with no regard for anything or anyone then that's also a means to an end. Stop asking people here how you should live your life.

At the end of it all you're better saying I wish I hadn't rather than I wish I had (was on Back to Reality last night but it's true).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

This is so ****ing stupid ffs

Then dont post here. That was complete spam kold

][cEMAN is right though. Inly they can say if they had a good life. I am just interested in what the majority feels on this issue.

Advertisement