Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda ID

• 24-01-2004 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

My ID is really really poor quality, and I've gotten hassle from a few bouncers, havent as yet been refused because of it but I can see it happening, can I demand a new one or should I just claim I lost it and it would prob be less hassle????

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

afaik i think you just sign up for another one again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

In the short term carry some other form of indefiacation
    But ye u should just say at ur local station "im getting hasstle i need a new 1) Besides do u have to pay a small fee for a replacement if its lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

its not that much anyway in the first place so it shouldn't be too much to replace renew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

i think its like 7 or 8euro for another, but yar ive the same problem
    with my garda card in galway! in dublin the boncers wont even
    look twice at it but when i went up galway no where would except
    it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I thought the whole idea was that they were legally obliged to accept it?
    otherwise whats the point of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

AFAIK, there is no system in place for replacement Garda ID's.

I lost mine, and the local garda station to me that I just had to apply for another as if it were my first, and pay the usual €6.

There is no way for them to cancel the old one or anything like that. That's what I was told anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I KNOW!
    thats what i said to the boncers that they had to except it
    but theyd have non of it and you cant argue with them:rolleyes:

Originally posted by uberwolf

You are corrct. IO am unsure exeatly how it works

Bouncers are legally obliged to accept it yes but yet they seem to think if they think its fake they can refuse it. 2 the best of my knowalge they have to get gardai assistence to confirm the cards legitimacy (is that a word im soooo tired)
    This would probbley mean u waiting outside the club/pub for about 20 min until a guardi pass by then ask them.

But by this stage you have probbley pissed the bouncer off so much he will just say fu*k off "right to refuse admission" or "regulars only"

Then thats that over with.

So in reality the garda ID is NOT definate assurence of getting in to a pub/club

does anybody know how it works regarding purchesing cigerates? i was in donneyrook fair on friday the 24th @ about 11am and they refused to serve me, having both garda id and passport,

i was rather pissed of, it's a long walk to centra in the rain, you know what i mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

The Garda ID is only to confirm that your are at the legal age to purchase "intoxicating liquor" (i.e. 18).

It specifically states however that "It does not confer on the holder the right of entry to any licensed premises".

Bummer.

• Advertisement

but it's a shop / offlicence....

god i hate that place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

€6 is well worth it lads and lassies. I think you can get an Irish one too, handy to confuse the bouncers even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Originally posted by uberwolf

Yes it is, the prob is I'm afraid they think I'm using someone elses. Other people have gotten away with using it its so blurred, im afraid this could blow back in my face and a bouncer could use it as an excuse to tell me to fuk off! its ok so far because when I produce my student ID with same name\dates they cant really say no. Best example was a barman once asked "you sure this isnt your brother?" I just wanna be 100% tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mine is in a right state these days, cracked, the picture is 3 years old, all features removed by the flash of the instant photo machine and my hair was a good bit shorter then. If you bring it in will the guards replace it for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL,

They look really good.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Shamo

Mine got really faded and I was getting hassle from the bouncers so went to Garda Station and they sent off another application for free.

Just got it there a few days ago.

http://www.fluxcard.com are good for novelty purposes too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Up until last year i had a Garda ID- i'd had it about 3 years by then so it was pretty ratty looking, but the pic was still good and so was the date of birth.
    I brought it to a club and the f*ckwit of a bouncer refused to let me in cos they "don't accept Garda ID here, bring a passport". He also said he thought it might be fake. The problem, as i saw it, was that he'd let me in the previous wk after checking exact same card. He took the card off me so i couldnt try use it anywhere again.....(i shoulda tried harder to get it back but i was so mad at this stage i just stormed off)

All that seriously pissed me off, but what really took the biscuit was when i went to go back to the same place, many months later- the bouncer checked my passport, told me i was an idiot to be carrying something as valuable as a passport around town with me....."go get yourself one of those GARDA ID's" he said :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by mydarkstar
    He took the card off me so i couldnt try use it anywhere again.....(i shoulda tried harder to get it back but i was so mad at this stage i just stormed off)

OMG, I'm am nearly certain if you had of gone to the local Garda station to complain about this he would have gotten in shít. Something like that would drive me insane...

PS Don't carry your passport around. It's not worth it! Mine was nicked... and it's a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Is there anywhere online for downloading the forms for a garda ID etc??

gar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Shamo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jinny

does anyone know whats the law regarding being caught with a fake garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

The only form of ID you can demand to be let into a club in Ireland is a drivers licence.
    If you get refused with that, just get the gardaí down and get them to verify it for you.
    Passports are for travel and as such aren't meant to be used for any other purpose.
    Garda ID as already pointed out are only legally acceptable for buying alcohol.

Apparently there is a BIG fine and/or jail term for being in possession of a fake Garda ID. It's in that intoxicating liquor act somewhere. I'd say they'd just take it off you though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thats outdated,
    yea have to fill them out at the station
    takes 2 mins
    You need to bring your passport up and long birthcert
    Most stations don't want to see the birthcert, but I got asked for mine and didn't have it.
    told yer 1 i was after walking a mile and a half to the station and filled her with a web of lies so i didn't have to go back and get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,524 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by jinny
    does anyone know whats the law regarding being caught with a fake garda?
    You won't be in trouble , but impersonating a garda is a serious offence.

When i got mine both my birth cert and my passport where face down and they didnt even both to look at them.

If i had know i would have tried it along time ago before i was 18.

Advertisement