Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claiming on Mobile Phone Cover

Options
  • 13-11-2003 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,

I pay insurance on my O2 phone every month & have been told it's a waste of money. I.e. that if I ever go to claim for whatever reason that I'll be told I'm not covered for that. So can anybody tell me what the situation is with making a claim?

For example the policy says I can't claim for a 'mechanical failure'. Does that mean if the phone just breaks for no apparent reason, I'm out of luck? If so, should I just tell them I dropped it? Or even that I dropped it down the toilet?

Many Thanks.
    K.M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Kobie
    Hi all,

I pay insurance on my O2 phone every month & have been told it's a waste of money. I.e. that if I ever go to claim for whatever reason that I'll be told I'm not covered for that. So can anybody tell me what the situation is with making a claim?

For example the policy says I can't claim for a 'mechanical failure'. Does that mean if the phone just breaks for no apparent reason, I'm out of luck? If so, should I just tell them I dropped it? Or even that I dropped it down the toilet?

Many Thanks.
    K.M.

Dont listen to people, simple as that.... Your phone is covered in most instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

So if the phone stops working for no reason then I'm still covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If it's still under warranty you should be able to get a repair/replacement.
    If not, I'm sure 'accidental damage' would be covered by your insurance. So you dropped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I didn't bother with insurance and a week later my screen broke and had to shell out €95 to get it fixed (the cost of the phone!!). Of course the girl in the shop said it would have been covered by insurance had I bought it.

To buy or not to buy insurance is a tricky one. The policies are restrictive and relatively expensive. You need to check:

What is the annual cost of the policy?
    How much will it cost to replace the phone?
    How many claims can you make per year?
    How much is the excess on each claim?
    What is actually covered?

heres what O2 Phonecover don't cover

The first €35.00 of any claim
    Repairs that are covered by your mobiles warranty or mechanical breakdown
    Mobiles stolen from an unattended vehicle, unless they are in a glove compartment or locked boot
    Claims as a result of undue care or negligence
    Claims which are not notified to the Gardai or O2 Customer Care within 24 hours of your becoming aware of the loss or theft
    More than two claims in any 12 month period
    Completed claims not returned within 30 days of loss or theft
    Claims made within the first 60 days*, unless the policy was taken out when first connecting to O2.
    Loss, destruction or damage when the SIM card is not in the mobile phone.

So you'll pay 72 per annum and the first 35 of the claim - €109 is the actual cost of the insurance if you make a claim. I suppose you have to weigh this up against paying for another prepaid phone and buying a replacement SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Repairs that are covered by your mobiles warranty or mechanical breakdown

It's the mechanical breakdown bit I'm worried about - if it just stops working (it happens) am I covered? Or should I just say I dropped it?

Thanks,
    KM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Meteor's phone insurance through PhoneCover, is €35/yr, or €5/month.

Excess is €33 for first claim, €66 for second claim(I think).
    I think it goes up €33 per extra claim and that there is not a limit on number of claims but Im not sure, have to check it.

Otherwise, similar to O2's scheme I think.

Replacement SIM's are free with Meteor.
    O2 i believe give you your first replacement one free, afterwhich you have to pay for it, though Im not sure how much.
    Vodafone charge a rediculous €23.xx for a replacement SIM!

No question about it but Ill be insuring my T610 when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 austinsaanders

The world's first printed claim on a mobile phone cover was made by the Dutch telecommunications company KPN, which printed its logo right onto the back of a specially designed Nokia 6600 mobile phone shell.

It is not clear whether or not this embedded publicity has boosted sales of the handset, but it is an interesting idea that may be copied by other companies.

The new phone has an image of the logo printed directly onto it so that this is visible when light strikes the shell from various angles. The printing process used on the covers is called Dye Diffusion Thermal Transfer (D2T2), which involves using heat to transfer images on plastics. This makes it possible to print on any type of plastic, including polycarbonate.

Advertisement