Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who has been to achill island?

Options
  • 25-10-2003 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭

i live there most of the time and its a ****ing great place.

Please reply if you have been there of heard of it.

(*the poster was drunk at the time of the post*)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Please tell me there aren't people out there who haven't heard of glorious rugged windswept Achill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Please tell me there aren't people out there who haven't heard of glorious rugged windswept Achill. :)
    I think there might be.

You been or do you live there.

Lets just say I live not a million miles away from it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Went down for "achill weekend" this year it was brilliant.

glad you liked it hacktavist.
    Do come again!

Sunbeam you have me thinking. A million miles away could be across the bridge in Currane,Polranny or in Castlebar.Just thinking with a nick like sunbeam your not from the island thats one thing we dont see too often is the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Lovely place indeed, been there a few times when I was just a young Sprat.
    Went Hiking up the mountains with my Da.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Great place, especially when the weather's in your favour. Wonderful scenery, great for a hike or a drive, good restraunts, lovely beaches. Plenty of amethyst crystal on sale, along with crazy old men telling you just how hard it is to catch a leprechaun on the mountainside. :)

I have yet to try entering the Minaun View Bar dressed in orange, but judging from the masses of Republican imagery plastered all over the walls, it could well be a laugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I was there a week a long time back. Had a blast. Long trip from Dublin thought. Beautiful place and fantastic beaches.

Well i am off to the island anyhow.Talk to you all later.

I wonder if i should organise the Achill Island Boards Bear :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Yeah, been there several times. Great place. Didn't get the chance to go to the golf course though :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

It's the most challanging golf course in Ireland. The greens are all fenced off to keep the sheep off :D (True!)

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Sunbeam you have me thinking. A million miles away could be across the bridge in Currane,Polranny or in Castlebar.Just thinking with a nick like sunbeam your not from the island thats one thing we dont see too often is the sun.

Ah, but Achill is a great place for the old 'sunbeams poking through the storm clouds and illuminating the mountains' photos. :)

If anyone feels like a trip to Achill the local tourism website is running a competition for free self-catering accommodation for a week here

Originally posted by krinpit
    It's the most challanging golf course in Ireland. The greens are all fenced off to keep the sheep off :D (True!)

Yes he is correct. Its built on commerage so they cant tell the poeple to keep the sheep off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

It can also be said that those fences are there to keep the golfers from achill away from the sheep.
    and it probably has been too

achills alright by me, the towns alright if you get a crowd there, the pebble beach is cool, played a match on the pitch beside it there last year.

some of the people are a bit odd tho......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There was a campsite there that used to have a sign that read "If you catch a sheep on this campsite you can keep it!"

They took it down a year or two ago. Presumably because someone caught a sheep.

Advertisement