Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Promote this board!

Options
  • 31-08-2003 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Spread the word about this board to your friends. Let's get something good going here.

The other board is a disgrace to Irish Athletics and should be shut down.

Ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

Hi Ed,

Couldn't agree with you more. Anonymous posting is a real problem when placed in the hands of the unscrupulous few.

Active administration of board is a requirement too. I've yet to see any questionable posts which weren't immediately handled by the admin here. I'll continue to post here rather then the anonymous alternatives.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Liam3494

Well, I would love to promotethis Board, but there is very little traffic on it so far to promote. So, I guess it's up to us to make things happen. I'm new to Boards.ie, but far from new to Running based boards, and I am a moderator on another site, based in the US, and although there is obviously a larger base of potential runners in the US, it is aimed worldwide and there are a few Irish based runners there.

I have always wondered why there is very little on-line information for athletics in Ireland. Even across the water in England there are regular running clubs with updated sites, easy access to race results, information on events etc., here I find it hard to keep track of what is going on.

Whilst Irish Runner is a great source as a magazine, their web-site leaves a little to be desired, although I do know they are trying to improve.

So let's build a group and discuss athletics related issues in full - Then we can really get the board promoted.

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Liam3494

Given the lack of response to my comments, does this not prove my point! -- Sadly.....

Liam

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

For what it's worth, I agree with what you posted although I don't have much to add beyond that ...

Why is there no traffic on this board?

Some thoughts:
    1) Not a venue for cheap anonymous pot-shots.
    The board is moderated and users are encouraged to register. Many thoughtful posters have decided that boards are not the place for a reasonable exchange. Not an unreasonable position given some of the stuff I've seen over the past few years. Is the word out that this is the place to come?

2) People don't like the technology.
    Other boards are cruder but have the ability to display threaded messages by subject line. Posters seem to be more comfortable with that type of interface.

3) Its September
    Traffic drops as there are no events to talk about.

Martin
    Originally posted by ecksor
    For what it's worth, I agree with what you posted although I don't have much to add beyond that ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by MartinNutty
    2) People don't like the technology.
    Other boards are cruder but have the ability to display threaded messages by subject line. Posters seem to be more comfortable with that type of interface.

One way or another we will eventually move towards allowing users the option of displaying messages in this way.

Our navigation from the front page can be very confusing for a new user, but we're working on that. Also, our speed in the past has been pretty terrible, but hopefully the site is a bit more responsive now.

If, as you say, thoughtful users are turned off of discussion forums due to past examples, then perhaps this forum will lure them back over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Aren't threaded view modes very cumbersome to use? It involves infinitely more clicks than this mode and is just generally less intuitive. I used to post on the Revolution Games board and the sole fact that it was only viewable in threaded mode was the reason I stopped posting there. I've seen threaded mode implemented on VBulletin before and it could be altered via the user cp, I'm not sure if this was a hacked version of vb or whether it was a different version.

I guess allowing users to specify threaded or not would be a plua and remove an interface hurdle which I've heard folks complain about. I agree with you that I'm not a particular fan of the threaded view, the reality is that some prefer.

Martin
    Originally posted by Roller Toaster
    Aren't threaded view modes very cumbersome to use? It involves infinitely more clicks than this mode and is just generally less intuitive. I used to post on the Revolution Games board and the sole fact that it was only viewable in threaded mode was the reason I stopped posting there. I've seen threaded mode implemented on VBulletin before and it could be altered via the user cp, I'm not sure if this was a hacked version of vb or whether it was a different version.

Advertisement