BEAT Hosted Moderator

I got a pm recently asking me how to do this, they had heard about me moving to Dublin and wanted some help.
I have had these questions before so I thought Id post up my advice and sticky it incase anyone else comes to baords looking for help.

Step #1 is the most improtant thing, if you can complete step#1 successfully then you will have nothing else to worry all.
Having said that, it is the hardest thing to do and you will see why here.

You must secure a job before moving there. If you go there in an attempt to find work you had better have a load of money stashed first.

To find work you need one of the following:

A work visa, can only be obtained for the following professions:
Medical profession
IT professional

A legal citizenship status, by marriage or by default from your parents or grandparnet having been born there. They will only go as far back as your Grandparent and you have to show thier birth certificate then apply for citezenship.

Student visa, you apply for this ahead of time and must be in school 20-30 hrs / week then you will be granted a student/work visa.

A work permit,
this is for everyone else. The only thing is you cant get one unless you know someone vey important. I got nearly 200 declinations and they all said I was what they were looking for but couldnt hire me because Im not part of the EU. You can only get a work permit if an employer hires you and applies for one for you, that employer must show reason on that application to the govt why you, an american... are more qualified for the position than an Irish citizen or someone who is part of the EU.
More than likely it isnt going to happen. I tried for over 2 years.

Now, if you have family that lives there you may luck out
I dont want to discourage you at all but as you can see its no easy task.
Unless you have loads of money and can live there for 5 years without working (which will gain you citizenship) you'l need to do one of the above to be able to work and live in Ireland legally.

If you get a pub/waiting job and are paid under the table that is cool but dont get caught or you will be deported and never again allowed to return.

I did extensive research and the only way I could get to stay was to get married, the only catch to that was in Ireland you cant get divorced for 5 years! so needless to say I came home even though I found someone who was willing to do it.

Good luck, and let me know how you get on!

Shortnose Registered User

Hmmm... things sure have changed since I was in Ireland. The EU has ruined it for the rest of us! LOL! It used to be one could travel to every country in the EU (prior to the union I mean) and stay for 3 months on a tourist visa. Now, one can only stay within all of the EU for 3 months! How unfair is that?

At least, however, US citizens can remain in the UK for up to 6 months. And I don't know what the score is for Switzerland or other countries not a part of the EU (yet). I guess one could stay in Switzerland for 3 months and then pop over the border for another 3, but still...

And I guess if one had an e-commerce biz hosted offshore or maintained a biz in the US, that would help. I guess as long as resources are coming from outside the EU they wouldn't complain too much about it.

Geez. Portugal used to be a 'bargain' place, and now the Algarve properties are sky high - as are property values in Ireland. Celtic Tiger and all that....

There wasn't even a McDonald's in Dublin when I was there last (1973). I cannot begin to imagine how it all looks now. All the tech savvy peeps all over the country. It's a goldmine for businesses who wish to relocate to Ireland, that's for sure... what with all the well-educated work force, etc.

Pretty soon, US citizens aren't going to be able to go beyond our borders to enjoy the experience of working elsewhere around the globe. That is sad. One of the highlights of my life was working in Dublin - albeit for a short time. An experience I'll never forget!

Thank you, Dubliners!

Clinical Waste Registered User


Well we all have shoes now...

1 person has thanked this post
Shortnose Registered User

Clinical Waste

Well we all have shoes now...

LOL!! Love your user name!

Yeah, my stepmother wanted to know if they had 'sanitary supplies' for ladies (?!?!) Get real! My mother offered to send me Crest toothpaste (popular US brand). Uh... if I wanted to use US products, I'd have stayed in the US.

What I meant to say was, the typical US corporation hadn't sullied the appearance of Ireland with its garish golden arches or whatever fast-food logo (like Kentucky Fried Chicken, etc.) of the day is lately....

I wasn't trying to insinuate that Ireland was 'backwards' in 1973. Merely, nice and clean and pure. Why, I even watched a guy drink water straight out of a lake outside Galway (?!!) You couldn't do that in the US at that time, either!

toaster Registered User

anything in the medical profession, or is it just the most demanding fields in the medical profession ... like doctors, nurses, or what?

Sangre Registered User

I'd assume nearly any trained medical profession. We're really short of supply lately.

toaster Registered User

wwhee! knowing that, at least i have a slim shot.

FranknFurter Registered User

as you can see its no easy task.
Unless can live there for 5 years without working (which will gain you citizenship) you'l need to do one of the above to be able to work and live in Ireland legally.

If thats the case, do you know if you have to do somthing every three months to have a "holiday" visa ""re-issued"? Or can u just stay for five years and THEN just apply for citzenship?

BEAT Hosted Moderator

all he has to do is register at the local gardai station within 30 dya of his arrival and let them know of his plans..they will instruct him on what he needs to do after that.
He will have to show proof of financial stability and the address where he is staying and need prob a letter of reference from whom ever he is living with.


I can confirm what beat said, when my wife moved from America. We just went into the local garda station. They just need proof that you arent going to be a "burden" on the state, so a bank account or something like that would be good.
You will then get an alien registration card and i think you renew it each year, as far as i can remember Please post anything else you need to know as i experienced that when my wife moved here.

FranknFurter Registered User

Thnx for the info,
Least we now know where to go from here
Looks like we're gonna have to go to the local station soon then if thats the case, been here 2.5 weeks already.

Ugh, gonna be difficult tracking that kinda stuff down to prove what needs to be proven apparently. His work is 100% net based, ugh

FranknFurter Registered User

been onto 2 seperate stations now, clondalkin and harcourt square, neither seem to know what im talking about.

Embassy recommend contacting dept. equality & law reform, who recommend etc etc etc etc.........



Did you ask for the immigration officer of each station?

FranknFurter Registered User

fraid so, an only got blank stares and guards asking each other "immigration officer?" a "do we have one of those?" way


I'm in a similar situation. I'm Irish, living in Oz and moving back to Ireland next month. My girlfriend is 30 and Aussie so she is too old for the working holiday and she's doesn't have skills required by Ireland. I was looking at and asked them what I can do. I got a reply back with the following

"your partner doesn't need a visa to travel to Ireland and can remain here for 3 months when she arrives. After this, she then needs to go to the Garda National Immigration Bureau (if living here in Dublin) or her local Garda station (if living down the country) and she can apply to extend her stay. It would help significantly if you accompanied her to the police to demonstrate that you know her, you are in employment and have the funds to support her. (Effectively, they just want to see that she is not a burden on the State).

Normally, such applications to extend her stay will be for 3 months (she can then apply again for another 3 months, etc.). If her application is granted she will get what is known as a Stamp 3 on her passport. This means that she can stay here for an additional 3 months at a time but unfortunately, it doesn't give her the right to work here at all."

So if the Garda are looking at you funny you could try the Garda National Immigration Bureau (

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!