Larianne Registered User

Just a few to help people out if looking for certain things.

Please feel free to add to the list or to comment on the stores that are mentioned. What you thought about them and what you were able to get there.

K & M Evans Art Supplies - it's just off Capel st. at 28 St. Mary's Abbey it's along the Luas line. This place is brillant for nearly everything!!! This is where a lot of teachers that there stuff for school. Paper, card, plastacine, modelling clay, pipe cleaners, pencils etc etc. This is the cheapest place I found when in Art college. And the staff are really helpful.

There's O'Sullivan's Graphi Supplies just off Camden St. 23-25 Grantham Street. This place is great for getting display card for exhibitions etc. So much stuff in this store. Kinda pricey though. Also has a good selection of portfolios, basic and professional, if your heading to art college or want one to show off your work. Also millions of pens and paints etc. I'd shop around for the smaller things you need first. It's more graphic based so not a lot of make 'n do items. I'm pretty sure you can get a discount on certain days if you're a student. [Mod update Oct. 2016: O'Sullivan's is no longer open!

Reads on Nassau Street is great for things like card, glue, pens, pencils, plastic pockets, paint which would be better priced than Eason's RIP OFF CITY!!!! Also good for photocopying cheaply. It's also reasonable for getting business cards made up.

Star School & Office Supplies - There's a few : Artane, Ballymount, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and Sandymount. They usually give good discounts to students and are good for paint, pencils, oil pastels, sketchpads, notebooks etc.

Art & Hobby Shop - There's loads scattered around the country. I, myself, never buy much from them. Too overpriced for my liking but they have stuff like Face & body paint which is cool and different art kits.

Okay, so there is a few of the shops I frequented when in Art college. Hope it helps you find what you want. I wouldn't really recommend Eason's at all. It's overpriced and the staff, normally, haven't a clue about the products. If you can't find what you want in the stores I mentioned, ask them in the shop and they may help ya with what you're looking for. I find the staff in most of them really helpful.

Also, check out charity shops for unusual materials use in your art/modelling/jewellery/fashion.

2 people have thanked this post
snorlax Registered User

Inspiring ideas is also pretty good,( 1st floor st stpehens green shopping centre, go up the stairs in the shop), they'r about in average in price but you can buy handmade paper, foam, feathers, stamps, beads, metal sheets, fabric paints, stencils, books, absolutely anything in fact to with crafts.

Kennedys (harcourt street) expensive but it's good if you want a wide selection of materials/ mediums to choose from. they also have books on art, a wide selection of good quality paint, art pads/ paper and brushes.

Hickeys (ground floor stephens green shopping centre and Henry street) great for material, beads, threads and embroidery. look for the remlents box if you don't want to pay over the odds for the material.

Evans i secound, cheap for buying especially in bulk (for any art teachers out there), if you need loads of paper/ big tubs of paint/ clay and terrcotta clay, wire, moulds, masks, facepaints, large sheets acetate, glass paints, fabric paints. they'v also a special offer on at the mo for buying A2 art pads, buy 2 get one free.
Evans is kinda hidden and isnt open at the weekend, its between the Jervis and four courts luas stops (on the right coming from o'connell street), look for green gates and a language institute, looks like an alley.

ill add more places as i think of them (if anyone knows of any crafty pr arty websites/ places around the country post them up!)

Larianne Registered User

snorlax
Inspiring ideas is also pretty good,( 1st floor st stpehens green shopping centre, go up the stairs in the shop), they'r about in average in price but you can buy handmade paper, foam, feathers, stamps, beads, metal sheets, fabric paints, stencils, books, absolutely anything in fact to with crafts.

Forgot about this place. I went to the one at Blanchardstown S.C., it's not in the main centre but in one of the outlets and got an A2 sizedd portfolio case there for £10! Was 5 years ago but still worth checking out for prices.

Gaspode Woof!

I can heartly recommend ...

www.craftsupplies.ie is an online craft supply shop, but the delivery time is excellent. I ordered stuff on a monday and was opening my parcell on wednesday. It takes laser as well as the usuall credit cards so its handy.

I have to admit I find Inspiring Ideas a rip off shop. They sell their fabric by the yard ? Who works in yards anymore. And they are so so stingy with their measurements .... I have never gotten anything the smallest bit bigger than a yard.

snorlax Registered User

Inspiring ideas has some nice stuff although i guess they are slightly pricey, although most things are in dublin .

thanks for the link though, it might be useful for those who don't live in dublin to shop online.

TipGal Registered User

enough with advertising my own site. I have decided to redeem my evil ways and ask DeVore or one of the admins about buying some banner time rather than pimp my website in every single post I have made so far. I am really sorry for my pimpage. It will never ever happen again.

edit LoLth: thats good to hear.

Wraptures on Francis Street. I can't really comment on range and pricing, having only been in there once. Friendly shop though.

snorlax Registered User

i should add two more stores;

Eason's on O'Connell street(upstairs)

Downstairs in Reads (Nassau street), they sell cheap paper/ art pads if you look and compare prices, i'd say they'd be a really good place to get coloured paper/ textured kids paper if you wer'e ooking to make greeting cards.

Larianne Registered User

snorlax
i should add two more stores;

Eason's on O'Connell street(upstairs)

To be honest, I wouldnt go here unless you've searched everywhere else for what you're looking for. It is soo overpriced!!! Yeah I've got stuff in there before but as a last resort. Rip-Off Merchants!!

I posted about Reads in my first post, Snor!

smileygal Registered User

CORK

Read's in Cork too - Patrick St.
Doesn't feel quite as Rip-Off Republic as Easons.

Cork Art Supplies good, but no late opening.

snorlax Registered User

sorry Larianne i didnt mean to edit your post i think i clicked the wrong button.

Anyway considering reads is probably the cheapest it probably deserves to be mentinoned twice, pity they don't have a bigger selection though !

Larianne Registered User

snorlax

Anyway considering reads is probably the cheapest it probably deserves to be mentinoned twice, pity they don't have a bigger selection though !

Yeah, you're right there!! I lived in that place when at college. It's really good for presentation stuff as well. A1 sheets of card and plastic pockets and folders etc. Get all your college stuff there.

snorlax Registered User

www.ebay.com and the irish version: www.ebay.ie often sell crazy/ wacky things if there's anything your looking for in particular that isn't available in the stores (and it's 2nd hand so prices won't be too high, although expect to pay higher delivery costs if its from the US), make sure to keep refining your searches on the site.

websites for stores already mentioned

Geordie_Girl Registered User

Lakeland Limited do some really nice stuff and a lot of it is REALLY cheap.
Only thing is they are based in the UK, so currency conversion/shipping might add up if you were buying a lot. Nice selection though.

smileygal Registered User

Lakeland is fab - I devour their catalogues - home stuff too. Their attention to detail and genuine respect for the customer sets them aside from other companies.

They have lots of shops in the UK, so I stock up when over and avoid the postage, even though it's great for amil order of heavy things, cos based on order value rather than weight!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!