Creamy Goodness Registered User

This may be simple but which one is correct for the abbreviation of the phrase "have not"

havn't

or

haven't

Aristotle Registered User

haven't

Tar.Aldarion /flails limbs

just think of the ' replacing an o,thats all.

Creamy Goodness Registered User

I was thinking it was haven't, yet a lot of people spell it the other way - havn't - now I know that I'm right.

Thanks guys.

np,they probably do it on the net because a lot of people do.

Dublinsausage Registered User

more cool 'havuntu" in Irish pronunciation . now try spelling Smith and pronouncing in the form it is spelt . in Irish which I prefer it should sound like Smitt. That's how we say it and thst's how we should spell it. It's our language in Ireland and we should murder it . I like to call a person a good cunnt , you could hardly call a person a bad cunnt could ya /

havuntuspeltrong

intbn Registered User

Old thread I know but I just googled both and it seems even thought it's the incorrect spelling, there's almost 10 and a half million results for havn't!

Also, nearly three quarter's of a billion results for haven't

Condatis Registered User

Where that particular abbreviation is acceptable in speech, it is not good practice to use it writing unless you are writing dialogue.

P. Breathnach Registered User

Condatis said:
Where that particular abbreviation is acceptable in speech, it is not good practice to use it writing unless you are writing dialogue.

I disagree. I write a great deal in an informal style, and contractions fit very well into such a style - don't they?

Condatis Registered User

Perhaps! Though some can appear more cumbersome than others – the written word has an aesthetic as well as a literal impact.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!