chainreaction Registered User

So what's up in Listowel these days

snow scorpion Registered User

Is the store called "Crowley's" just off the town square still there? As I remember it was somewhere close to John B. Keane's place.

We'd come into town from Ballybunion, turn right onto a long wide street, (Tuesday was market day and the market was on the right.)

At the end of that long street the Irish Tourist Board had on office at the corner on the right hand side of the street.

Turn right at the Irish Tourist Board onto a short narrow street ... ... I think that's where Keane's and Crowley's was.

And then turn left to the Church square/town square.

That's about all I remember.

Alfasudcrazy Registered User

Hey - I will have to start asking Bord Failte (Irish tourist board) for some conmmission

Here is a link to Kerry/Listowel -
http://www.kerryguide.com/listowel/index.html

Not more stuff! I'm still studying the pictures from Ballybunion!

reic Registered User

I like Listowel, still getting to know it. The only thing I find disconcerting about it is that when I go "downtown" there in the afternoon, the pubs are full already, and when I go out there for an evening, everyone's already drunk when I get there! BIG drinking culture there.

MissT Registered User

Hey,
Just saw the 'listowel thread' am actually looking for info on a guy from listowel, screwed a friend of mine over recently, wont get into details yet, but its a pretty interesting story!. Dont want to give his full details out. HIs name is Eddie, he is a physio in Cork- if you have any info let me know!

tinkerbell Registered User

Crowleys is no longer there - it was bought by the toy shop, but then it was sold again a few years later. Now it's a furniturey-type shop.

Listowel + Fleadh Cheoil = insane The pubs stay open all weekend. I know some people who went into the pub on the Friday night and didn't surface til Sunday morning

tinkerbell
Crowleys is no longer there - it was bought by the toy shop, but then it was sold again a few years later. Now it's a furniturey-type shop.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember the Crowley's being nice people.

SandhillRoad Registered User

Crowleys was at the bottom of William Street.Mrs. Crowley taught at the Listowel Boys National School, when Bryan MacMahon was master and Frank Sheehy was head master.
Snow Scorpion: See you on the Ballybunion thread.

SandhillRoad
Crowleys was at the bottom of William Street.Mrs. Crowley taught at the Listowel Boys National School, when Bryan MacMahon was master and Frank Sheehy was head master.
Snow Scorpion: See you on the Ballybunion thread.

Hi, Sandhill. We always have room for someone new in The Ballybunion thread. I check in there at least once a day,

WIiliam Street. I'll have to remember that. I don't know the names of any of the streets in Listowel. Whenever we went there, we just parked the car by the church in the Town Square or the Church Square or whatever was called.

Last time I saw Crowley's the outside of the store was painted a pale yellow and the sign about the door was pale yellow and pale green.

Hello Snow Scorpion.
William Street is the street where John B Keanes pub is.
The Church Square was always called "The Square" ,off of that was the 'SMALL SQUARE"( sometimes called Main Street) Jutting off that were 2 long streets: WILLIAM STREET and CHURCH STREET.
William Street took you on the way to Ballybunion and Church Street took you to Tarbert /Limerick.
Regards,SANDHILLROAD

I was in John Keane's place a couple times when I was a kid with my dad and my uncle.

We went to Ballyb far more often than Listowel.

A couple times we went to the market in Listowel when my uncle was selling some heifers and a litter of bonhams.

I'm pretty sure there was railraod crossing near Listowel on the road from Ballyb.

The Rhinebeck Antiques Center
7 West Market Street
Rhinebeck
New York
12572. USA
(845)876-5555
Thursday -Monday 10:00AM-5:00PM

We are smack in the middle of the village at the traffic lights. Across from the Hotel.

Please mention BOARDS.IE in subject line of email.

For driving directions call us during shop hours.
We have a ceramic Irish Directional Road Signpost ( not for sale!) in the side window of the store I am amazed at how many people want to buy it, or have been in my home town. Come see for yourself and see where we are from !

Hi Snow Scorpion,
Why Crowley's ?

SNOW SCORPION:
Here is Listowel during the fair days that I told you about.
Sandhillroad.

Attachments
FAIR DAY LISTOWEL.jpg
1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!