techguy Registered User

Has anyone ever used the spray that is supposed to block your license plates to speed camera's by over exposure?

I saw it here at www.carstores.biz for €35 ex. p&p
The old man is considering buying it. And I was wondering if it was any good?
Yes, No?

Thanks,
Hakko

1 person has thanked this post
pauln Registered User

Forget it, it's a joke. As far as I could make out it's simply cans of hi-shine spray varnish with a "photoblocker" label put on the outside.
It's not even worth the postage they'll charge you if you ask me.

techguy Registered User

OK thanks for that, will some hi shine varnish do the job?
or,
will one just have to find another way around the speed cameras e.g. keep to the limit?

1 person has thanked this post
pauln Registered User

I'd say the varnish is a dead end, I've yet to see solid proof. There are plenty of these so called tests on the net but i don't put much credit in them now.

I'd say keep it under the limit is your best bet.

JohnCleary Registered User

Do what a mate of mine did.....
Nick the plates off a Gatso Van, attatch them to your own car and speed past the van about 10 times

JohnCleary
Nick the plates off a Gatso Van, attatch them to your own car and speed past the van about 10 times

What happened then?

Blitzkrieger Registered User

JohnCleary

Isn't that an urban legend from Austrailia.

magpie Registered User

On my way home past a building site yesterday I noticed a funny sheen from the reg plates on 2 cars (Both DL Reg, wouldn't you know it?).

One must have been sprayed, and from any angle other than dead on it did look pretty hard to read/glarey.

The other guy had his plates in a special holder with a plastic cover that produced more or less the same effect.

Given that these knacks from Donegal are using it, there must be something to it.

Apparently one can does 6 cars, so why don't we have a whiparound? What have we got to lose?

prospect Registered User

I have heard that rubbing the plate with a clear candle does the job aswell.

I haven't seen evidence though!

kbannon Où est le Centre de Georges Pompidou?

magpie
On my way home past a building site yesterday I noticed a funny sheen from the reg plates on 2 cars (Both DL Reg, wouldn't you know it?).

One must have been sprayed, and from any angle other than dead on it did look pretty hard to read/glarey.

The other guy had his plates in a special holder with a plastic cover that produced more or less the same effect.

Given that these knacks from Donegal are using it, there must be something to it.
Are you referring to the blueish tinted plates?
magpie
Apparently one can does 6 cars, so why don't we have a whiparound? What have we got to lose?
How are you going to test it to see if it works?

I have noticed the blue tint on the plates on a number of cars as well.

kbannon Où est le Centre de Georges Pompidou?

Presumably the plates with a blue tint are illegal as Irish reg plates are meant to be white

MercMad Registered User

The blue tint is only a protective film which is on the plastic whilst they are being manfactured. It should be removed before fitting !

I really think all of these products are pure "Snake Oil" stories and I cant see any of them working. Possibly placing a thick clear sheet in front making the it opaque from an angle might work but it would have to be quite thick IMO !

Another thing I heard recently from a Copper was that the cameras dont have to flash to take a photo, why should they in daylight anyway !!

prospect Registered User

BrianD
I have noticed the blue tint on the plates on a number of cars as well.

A friend bought a new car last year. It arrived with blue (kinda pale blue) plates from the dealer. He called over one day and I was out having a look at his purchase.
I asked him what the deal is with the plates, (they are perfectly standard except for this blue tint), and he shruggs his shoulders, "I dunno".
So on closer inspection, i discovered it is just a temporary film over the plate, like on the face of a new watch. It just peeled right off.

Balfa Registered User

There's a waxy coating with crystally things in it available here that results in the plate looking just like a reflector when a light's shined on it. Cops will pull you over if they're driving behind you and can't read your plate at night with their headlamps shining on it, though. In ireland the cops probably aren't nearly that useful.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!