[quote="[InsertHandle"]']dublin 4 ... watch out for shrimp ... he'll jump you late at night and make you wear overpriced designer crap, and then he'll post pics
I've lived real close to the Big Tree for 5 years and so know that part of town really well. Bits are dodgy but I've trudged most parts of it after dark. Canal is dodgy, but the security cameras have helped.
Bray can be a bit dodgy at times. Havent had any trouble lately though. Shankill isnt the best either, loads of Spaniards get beaten up there every summer.
I live in Blanch. Right beside "da duff". I don't know much bout the rest of dublin but I reckon Corrduff and Fortlawn are the worst in blanchardstown. Either them or Carpenterstown (You have to live in Blanch to get that)
my uncle works in dolphins barn (fireman) and they do ambulances or something 2??? anyhow he reckons its one of the worst areas hes ever worked in.
West Finglas and parts of Ballymun (around the flats and that).
I've grown up next to Ballymun so maybe I'm not as scared of some of it as others, and I've spent a lot of my youth in places in Finglas that people would deem rough but I've never had any more trouble than some insults thrown my way.
I don't know any really rough areas in Drumcondra, generally a nice place with a few kids trying to act tough, and that's about it.
It's a Romany word I believe; Chave Rama = Children of Rama (as in the Hindu god Rama) which is what Romanies call themselves. The Rama bit is where the name Roma comes from.
I remember giving advice to an Eastern European colleague on where to find accommodation in Dublin. Let us call him Tibor;
Tibor: "I view apartment today in two locations, Dorset St and Smithfield. Are good area with few criminal? My wife join me soon."
Me: "oh yes a few criminals alright..."
The next day;
Tibor: "I see this Smithfield place. Is like after war! Is absolutely like after bombing! I am approached by prostitute!"
The poor guy was in shock
Parts of Tallaght... Jobstown and Killinarden. And the area around Dolphin's Barn/Inchicore. And Ballymun.
i grew up in whitestown (roughly first 13 years of my life)had the best time there. but everyday life consisted of robbed cars and drug deals i suppose we were just used to it as it didnt directly affect any1. once we were out on the road playing tennis about 4pm on a sat afternoon when a robbed car came tearing up the road (almost knocking us over) stopped at the top of the road, three lads got out and proceeded to kick the door in of a house and stabbed the first fella they saw with a machete.special branch were down asking us questions and going door to door.
another time we were in watching tv (i think challenge anika was on), we got a knock on the door, it was our neighbour to tell us he chased away 2 fellas tryin to nick the car....funny thing was it was 7 o clock in the evening and still bright out and they had the car out of the garden!!!!!
just a couple of the many little stories whitestown has given me. im gone outta there 10years and i would not go back. its turned into a no-go area.
Wow, glad I never lived in such a ****hole place. What chance have kids got growing up in those dumps?
classic, that gave me a laugh
I lived in darndale for about 14 years,no ameneties one or two shops, large young unemployed populous & people living in each others pockets,really its like a f_ckin social expiriment, a human rat maze,i havent lived there in years but id have no problem walking through it ,& aparently its "quitened down" somewhat - not making excuses if anyone wanted to see how a community can be destroyed by (local) government inaction & bad planning they should take a look at Darndale.
its not the worst place in town now but its probably in the top ten.
Or somethimng close. It comes from the UK where many councils provide housing. Usual garb is a tracksuit, burbury cap and cheap gold jewlery. You know what they look like.
Darndale has to be the worst area but Blanch will be the winner in 5 years as it is grossly under policed.
"scumbags out there that are gonna be piled into other areas now"
same thing happened in coolock/darndale /belcamp during the early 80's when they demolished the inner city tenement housing.The inner city scumbags just pushed the envelope as far as anti social behavior was concerned & all the local scum rose to the challenge!
i used to think my next door neighbours were scum until they moved out & a gang of Summerhill urban pikeys moved in.
I think there are many kips around dublin .Personally a regular Nearby bus service lessens the blow for me,If i should ever need to visit one of these neighborhoods its always nice to be out of there within 15 minutes.
Not in Dublin, but all the scumbags act as if it were; Confey. 80% full of scum. the other 20% are nice people.