James Bond Junior Registered User

phester28 said:
How did you get on. I have an e36 1998 coming up for renewal. I think that you may loose your NCB after 2 years as afaik a classic policy does not accrue NCB. Obviously if you have a daily driver then this is not the case.

No NCB on a classic? I was hoping mine might drop a bit this year. I've a sealed moneybox and I am dropping every €2 coin I have between now and June to cover tax and insurance.

jjenkinson Registered User

Hi folks,

I've been driving for over 30 years and had standard 3rd party insurance in NZ in about 2005 (for a 1971 Merc).

I would like to get classic insurance on a 1988 XJ40. It doesn't have to be classic insurance - if I can get normal insurance at non-insane rate, I'm happy to do that.
The car is also mechanically sound, and safe, so I've no problem if I need to get it checked and certified, or whatever.

I'm currently listed on a friend's insurance, since October last year. I don't have any other car or policy.

I live near the city and work form home, so I won't be commuting, and the car is really for weekend trips, possibly car club outings, and of course the odd trip to the shops.

There are so many brokers/companies out there - can anyone narrow it down to one or two that might actually be able to help?

I've filled in countless online forms and only had one quote a few weeks ago when I was looking at buying a 2004 car. Ridiculous would be the only word to describe it, as they quoted 2900 for third party/fire/theft and 2700 for full cover (providing I could prove my last insurance from 2005).

It's all getting a bit frustrating..

80sDiesel Registered User

I came back from NZ/OZ 2 years ago. Had same issues as you. The insurance/tax on your classic will only be 200 so you only choice is to get a small car and get normal insurance. I was paying around 2500 ( chill insurance is a good broker) and now down to 1000.

John Dough Registered User

Try Dolmen Insurance they have a good deal on insurance for people named on others policies.

A lot of the others won't touch you unless you have your own cover.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!