James Bond Junior Registered User

phester28 said:
How did you get on. I have an e36 1998 coming up for renewal. I think that you may loose your NCB after 2 years as afaik a classic policy does not accrue NCB. Obviously if you have a daily driver then this is not the case.

No NCB on a classic? I was hoping mine might drop a bit this year. I've a sealed moneybox and I am dropping every €2 coin I have between now and June to cover tax and insurance.

jjenkinson Registered User

Hi folks,

I've been driving for over 30 years and had standard 3rd party insurance in NZ in about 2005 (for a 1971 Merc).

I would like to get classic insurance on a 1988 XJ40. It doesn't have to be classic insurance - if I can get normal insurance at non-insane rate, I'm happy to do that.
The car is also mechanically sound, and safe, so I've no problem if I need to get it checked and certified, or whatever.

I'm currently listed on a friend's insurance, since October last year. I don't have any other car or policy.

I live near the city and work form home, so I won't be commuting, and the car is really for weekend trips, possibly car club outings, and of course the odd trip to the shops.

There are so many brokers/companies out there - can anyone narrow it down to one or two that might actually be able to help?

I've filled in countless online forms and only had one quote a few weeks ago when I was looking at buying a 2004 car. Ridiculous would be the only word to describe it, as they quoted 2900 for third party/fire/theft and 2700 for full cover (providing I could prove my last insurance from 2005).

It's all getting a bit frustrating..

80sDiesel Registered User

I came back from NZ/OZ 2 years ago. Had same issues as you. The insurance/tax on your classic will only be 200 so you only choice is to get a small car and get normal insurance. I was paying around 2500 ( chill insurance is a good broker) and now down to 1000.

John Dough Registered User

Try Dolmen Insurance they have a good deal on insurance for people named on others policies.

A lot of the others won't touch you unless you have your own cover.

blackiebest1 Registered User

***Hoping for help***

I am looking to insure a 1983 Land Rover County 88' as a primary car. I will do very little milage with it as I am named on my wives car which we normally share, we both work from home. I am having real difficulty getting a quote and it seems that I must get another 'primary' car and then take out classic insurance. Does anyone know who will offer a quote for straight insurance on the vehicle?

Working class heroes Registered User

blackiebest1 said:
***Hoping for help***

I am looking to insure a 1983 Land Rover County 88' as a primary car. I will do very little milage with it as I am named on my wives car which we normally share, we both work from home. I am having real difficulty getting a quote and it seems that I must get another 'primary' car and then take out classic insurance. Does anyone know who will offer a quote for straight insurance on the vehicle?

Transfer Land Rover to the wife.
The wife takes out classic insurance on Land Rover.
The wife names you on classic insurance policy.
blackiebest1 is now happy.

1 person has thanked this post
cplwhisper Registered User

Be sure to clarify if the jeep -
as private or commercial vehicle if you are gaining insurance

I’ve seen policies cancelled for non-declaring commercial jeeps,as different rules for non-cars

Best of luck.. stick up a photo of this beauty

oknepop Registered User

Working class heroes said:
Transfer Land Rover to the wife.
The wife takes out classic insurance on Land Rover.
The wife names you on classic insurance policy.
blackiebest1 is now happy.

Was ringing up about quotes last week, Carol Nash will do this if you are married and a named driver on your spouces main policy (as they still require a main vehicle for named drivers on vintage policies).

Campion do open drive on theirs, so if the vintage car/policy is in your wife's name, you can use it provided you have a full license, her permission to use the car, etc.

oknepop said:
Was ringing up about quotes last week, Carol Nash will do this if you are married and a named driver on your spouces main policy (as they still require a main vehicle for named drivers on vintage policies).

Campion do open drive on theirs, so if the vintage car/policy is in your wife's name, you can use it provided you have a full license, her permission to use the car, etc.

Yep. That’s it exactly. I’m with Campion.

schmittel Registered User

Does anyone know are Campion 20+ years or 25+ years for age of car? I have a couple of classics with Carole Nash, but if I could get open driving I'd be tempted to buy a 20 year old Volvo/Merc for occasional use when in laws come to visit etc.

schmittel said:
Does anyone know are Campion 20+ years or 25+ years for age of car? I have a couple of classics with Carole Nash, but if I could get open driving I'd be tempted to buy a 20 year old Volvo/Merc for occasional use when in laws come to visit etc.

Campion are 20+ years for classic insurance. Got mine on a 21 yr old car last month.
Open driving.

callumco Registered User

First Ireland are 15 years for Mercs, BMW, Audi and Porsche, but not sure if that's grandfathered for existing customers or still available for new customers.

selectamatic Registered User

Working class heroes said:
Campion are 20+ years for classic insurance. Got mine on a 21 yr old car last month.
Open driving.

20+ years for all marques? Or have they the usual Jap ban.

selectamatic said:
20+ years for all marques? Or have they the usual Jap ban.

I stand to be corrected but when I was chatting to them they would only insure Japanese brand cars on a non "open driving" basis, anything else was open driving.

Exodus 1811 Registered User

Hello all,

Had a bit of a weird one today.

Got a quote for 280 off Carole Nash fully comprehensive, based in my home in Laois (28, named driver on girlfriends car). That was fine until I went to pay for it and mentioned I might stay at my Girlfriends house in Dublin a night or two a week. Suddenly my coverage options went from comprehensive to third party only. Further stipulated that if the car was stolen anywhere apart from my home house, it would not be covered.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!