TheChizler Registered User

Samuel T. Cogley said:
You'll pay roughly 50% tax as a rule of thumb. So for every €1 you'd make with RAR you'll have to make €2 with AirBnB. Plus you'll have to clean the bedroom every new visit with clean sheets etc. Really not worth the hassle.

Only if you're on the higher rate of tax. OP nobody can tell you how much tax you'll pay on a second income, it depends on your entire income and relief situation.

ted1 Registered User

nox001 said:
Maybe so but that’s how it works. For example any b&b I have stayed in recently asked on check out that if I was looking to stay there again to ring them directly for a cash price rather then using hotels.com or booking.com etc and I will be doing so too.

That avoids the commission and different than what the poster suggested

1 person has thanked this post
kceire Moderator

ted1 said:

Not allowed to give such advice on boards.

We pay for many services using cash only. Taxi, trades etc
It’s not our job to enforce revenues requirements on the person receiving the cash.

ted1 Registered User

kceire said:
We pay for many services using cash only. Taxi, trades etc
It’s not our job to enforce revenues requirements on the person receiving the cash.

In this case the op and poster are talking about being the recipient not the person paying out the cash which is different.

2 people have thanked this post
Sleeper12 Registered User

Spanish Eyes
She is a savvy so and so, and only rents the room on a month's trial. So if it doesn't work out, the lodger is out.

Not as savvy as she thinks. Renting a room in your own home the lodger has zero rights and no notice is required

kceire
We pay for many services using cash only. Taxi, trades etc It’s not our job to enforce revenues requirements on the person receiving the cash.

I'm only quoting you because you didn't give an official mod warning

Ted is correct the post he quoted was suggesting tax evasion.

2 people have thanked this post
kceire Moderator

ted1 said:
In this case the op and poster are talking about being the recipient not the person paying out the cash which is different.

Even so, receiving cash is not a sure fire way of staying that no tax will be paid on it. But I do get what your saying.

Sleeper12 said:
Not as savvy as she thinks. Renting a room in your own home the lodger has zero rights and no notice is required

I'm only quoting you because you didn't give an official mod warning

Ted is correct the post he quoted was suggesting tax evasion.

Not a problem. When I said it wasn’t “our” place to enforce, I meant is general joes, not boards.ie as such.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!