thebourke Registered User

i own my own house...and am thinking of air b n b ing one room out ...do you have to pay tax..if so ..how much roughly?

goldenhoarde Registered User

thebourke said:
i own my own house...and am thinking of air b n b ing one room out ...do you have to pay tax..if so ..how much roughly?

Less hassle to rent a room

Up to 14000 is tax free

Granted the money might not air b n b money but less work

Also location will be factor plus transport etc around your house

1 person has thanked this post
Samuel T. Cogley Registered User

You'll pay roughly 50% tax as a rule of thumb. So for every €1 you'd make with RAR you'll have to make €2 with AirBnB. Plus you'll have to clean the bedroom every new visit with clean sheets etc. Really not worth the hassle.

D_D said:
Not true if you remain below the rent-a-room relief threshold of €14,000 per year.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/1122/rent-a-room-relief--ey-summary-of-technical-position?ibbe=1

However, once you go above the threshold, the entire amount is taxable.

AirBnB income is not exempt under RAR rules AFAIK. I thought this was clarifiesd recently? RAR could not be short term lets.

antoinolachtnai Registered User

I hope you don’t plan on relying on that advice.

Spanish Eyes Registered User

Air bnb does NOT come within the RAR scheme.

D_D Registered User

Apologies, I removed my reply after some further digging. You were just too quick for me...

D_D said:
Apologies, I removed my reply after some further digging. You were just too quick for me...

Sorry, Boards is playing up for me I thought your post was gone due to Gremlins.

Spanish Eyes Registered User

My sister has a spare room. She takes in lodgers under RAR scheme.

She is a savvy so and so, and only rents the room on a month's trial. So if it doesn't work out, the lodger is out.

I have to admire her cojones on this. But as she has pointed out, lodgers do not have tenant rights and they must conform to HER rules (with a bit of give and take), otherwise they are given a weeks notice. Works so far for her.

RasTa Registered User

Do the first night under airbnb, or just tell them to pay cash on arrival.

nox001 Registered User

Spanish Eyes said:
My sister has a spare room. She takes in lodgers under RAR scheme.

She is a savvy so and so, and only rents the room on a month's trial. So if it doesn't work out, the lodger is out.

I have to admire her cojones on this. But as she has pointed out, lodgers do not have tenant rights and they must conform to HER rules (with a bit of give and take), otherwise they are given a weeks notice. Works so far for her.

She doesn’t need to give them a months trial, she can kick the out instantly if she feels like it as they are licensees.

ted1 Registered User

RasTa said:
Do the first night under airbnb, or just tell them to pay cash on arrival.

That’s tax evasion and illegal.

Not allowed to give such advice on boards.

nox001 Registered User

ted1 said:
That’s tax evasion and illegal.

Not allowed to give such advice on boards.

Maybe so but that’s how it works. For example any b&b I have stayed in recently asked on check out that if I was looking to stay there again to ring them directly for a cash price rather then using hotels.com or booking.com etc and I will be doing so too.

runawaybishop Registered User

nox001 said:
Maybe so but that’s how it works. For example any b&b I have stayed in recently asked on check out that if I was looking to stay there again to ring them directly for a cash price rather then using hotels.com or booking.com etc and I will be doing so too.

That's more to do with cutting out the booking sites comission.

RasTa Registered User

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!