RisingDamp Registered User

Apologies if this has already been covered here:

My wife and I have recently gone sale agreed on a property and are in the process of transferring over the booking fee to the Estate Agent. I understand there are a lot of other boxes to be ticked before we actually get the keys but my question is this:

When should I notify my landlord of our intent to vacate our current property? I would be wary about doing it before we are confident of a date when we will be able to move into the new house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

amcalester Registered User

Speak to him and see if he'd be open to as short a notice period as possible.

There are minimum notice periods depending on the length of the tenancy, but he may be happy to ignore that.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give/

1 person has thanked this post
RisingDamp Registered User

amcalester said:
Speak to him and see if he'd be open to as short a notice period as possible.

There are minimum notice periods depending on the length of the tenancy, but he may be happy to ignore that.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give/

Perfect thanks for that. We have a good relationship with the landlord so that might be the way to go!

godtabh Moderator

Give yourself as much time as possible. these things drag out.

3DataModem Registered User

RisingDamp said:
Apologies if this has already been covered here:

My wife and I have recently gone sale agreed on a property and are in the process of transferring over the booking fee to the Estate Agent. I understand there are a lot of other boxes to be ticked before we actually get the keys but my question is this:

When should I notify my landlord of our intent to vacate our current property? I would be wary about doing it before we are confident of a date when we will be able to move into the new house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you have a good relationship with him, let him know the story, could be 8-10 weeks or more.

Samuel T. Cogley Registered User

A complete aside but Sale Agreed can easily fall through. Keep looking at other houses.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!