Seth Brundle Error: 404 Personality Not Found

(figured I'd start a new thread rather then resurrect the old one)

Just out this afternoon

The Charleton Tribunal has found that the then Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan told a Dáil deputy in early 2014 that whistleblower Sgt Maurice McCabe had sexually abused his own family.

In a report published on Thursday, Mr Justice Peter Charleton said he accepted what the former head of the Public Accounts Committee, John McGuinness, said in evidence of a meeting in a car park in West Dublin.

The finding is devastating for a former head of the police force. The abuse claim against Mr McCabe was completely without foundation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/disclosures-tribunal-martin-callinan-told-td-that-maurice-mccabe-was-sex-abuser-tribunal-finds-1.3660053

My own view is that the man should be personally liable to a claim by the state and McCabe for this. Disgusting!

2 people have thanked this post
LuckyLloyd The Voice of Reason

Took far too long to get to this point. It will probably take far too long for him to see justice.

Captain Obvious Registered User

Report also found the campaign was between Callinan and Taylor. No evidence O'Sullivan had any involvement.

Hitman3000 Registered User

Has the report made mention of Noirin's missing phones/ SIM cards?

5 people have thanked this post
hatrickpatrick Registered User

This kind of thing should warrant criminal charges IMO, not merely on the basis of false accusations but also the fact that they were made in the interests of covering up a scandal. It should be a criminal offence to intentionally engage in a cover-up of any kind in the interests of deflecting legitimate allegations of wrongdoing.

Of course it'll never happen given that the people most likely to engage in such cover ups would have to vote for laws against it It'd be nice if it did, though.

10 people have thanked this post
suicide_circus Registered User

they absolutely had to get an outsider in to run the show, upper echelons seem to have been rotten

Johnny Dogs Registered User

Captain Obvious said:
Report also found the campaign was between Callinan and Taylor. No evidence O'Sullivan had any involvement.

Good job them phones were made non retrievable.

Johnny Dogs said:
Good job them phones were made non retrievable.

I wasn't really expecting certain posters to accept the findings unless they agreed with their pre-existing conclusions.

1 person has thanked this post
Hitman3000 Registered User

Captain Obvious
I wasn't really expecting certain posters to accept the findings unless they agreed with their pre-existing conclusions.

So the missing phones and sim cards cause you zero concern?

Hurrache Registered User

The phones are mentioned in the report.

Matt Barrett Registered User

Captain Obvious said:

Can McCabe expect a 'thank you' card from yourself in the coming days?

Baron de Charlus "On his little bike"

Charleton's conclusions on the phones issue:

There is a plain reality to this. Superintendent David Taylor spun a deceit that his boss, Commissioner Martin Callinan, with whom he was on the best of terms for all his time in the press office of Garda Headquarters, and Nn O’Sullivan, who he decided for his own bitter reasons he didn’t like and was not up to the job, were on the one hand composing, and on the other approving, derogatory messages about Maurice McCabe. Hence, in his false reasoning, phones were important. Hence, in his false reasoning phones went missing, Hence, in his false reasoning, phones behaved mysteriously. Why? Because these phones had evidence implicating the highest levels of the national police force in a vicious campaign against a defenceless sergeant who wanted to see no more than an improvement in police standards.

And the reality? This tale was spun about missing phones, telecommunications interference by Garda Headquarters, texts to politicians and journalists and a trail of evidence that never existed in order, specifically and deliberately, to destroy the investigation by Chief Superintendent Clerkin into the behaviour of Superintendent David Taylor. At risk through a perfectly legitimate and honest investigation by a police officer of high intelligence and of truly distinguished record, Superintendent Taylor chose to present a public lie to the people of Ireland. It was enthusiastically taken up. Furthermore, it cast a pall of pretended deceit over the entire police force.

Then no one knew better. Now, they do.

Hitman3000 said:
So the missing phones and sim cards cause you zero concern?

Pretty much. Their location should be known but I put that down to incompetence.

Matt Barrett said:
Can McCabe expect a 'thank you' card from yourself in the coming days?

I'll sign yours if you want.

Johnny Dogs Registered User

Captain Obvious said:

Indeed.

Its quite reminiscent of the Paul Murphy false imprisonment case.

Matt Barrett Registered User

Baron de Charlus said:
Charleton's conclusions on the phones issue:

It says that the idea the phones contained incriminating evidence was put about by Taylor and his creation. It doesn't settle it in regard to the phones going missing at all. We'll never know what was on all those phones either way.

Is there more detail on the Tulsa err?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!