veryangryman Registered User

I didn't spot one other shop in the whole Republic sofar (open to correction). Are the rest of us not notionsy enough?
And what do we need to catch up? Danny Healy to bang the desk again?

Omackeral Registered User

It's a 4 years ago thing.

9 people have thanked this post
Berties_Horse Registered User

Nah, a glutton thing.

artanevilla Moderator

Well country people would be more interested in potatoes and cabbage and boiled ham. Anything more exotic will cause their turf addled brains to go into meltdown.

Dublin folk on the other hand have a more refined taste, and are more willing to try things like spice burgers, battered sausages and curry chips.

25 people have thanked this post
johnayo Registered User

veryangryman said:
I didn't spot one other shop in the whole Republic sofar (open to correction). Are the rest of us not notionsy enough?
And what do we need to catch up? Danny Healy to bang the desk again?

Naw. Just lots of fat bastards in Dublin

1 person has thanked this post
Badly Drunk Boy Registered User

Omackeral said:
It's a 4 years ago thing.

Well, Dunkin' Donuts were in Ireland in the early 90s so they're not exactly new here...just overrated.

Franz Von Peppercorn Registered User

Firstly. Doughnuts.

Secondly. Available every where.

Thirdly. Have been for years.

wally1990 Registered User

There is a good few in cork city centre

Notions,...........

Omackeral Registered User

Badly Drunk Boy said:
Well, Dunkin' Donuts were in Ireland in the early 90s so they're not exactly new here...just overrated.

I'm talking about donut shops popping up seemingly on every second street in our capital a few years ago. They were everywhere. See thread here this time last year.

ShaneC93 Registered User

The Dublin shops are starting to close one-by-one nearly one a week at this stage. It went from like one stall on O'Connell street 3-5 years ago to at least 100 locations from 10 different chains at 'peak doughnut' last year to maybe 60-70 now with a couple of the chains having gone under recently.

The trend started declining fast last year, I'd say by this time next, Dublin will be down to 20-30 locations and all the various new chains can choose between fighting it out, shutting up shop and banking the profits or expanding into other Irish cities and having the monopoly there plus the possibility of keeping the fad going with a new audience.

riffmongous Moderator

I do wonder what the next big fad will be

Eggs For Dinner Registered User

Dublin people just hang around waiting for the latest fad that will have them sitting in traffic queues for hours. I call it M50 syndrome

Patww79 Registered User

There's a big Boston Doughnuts stand in the shop part of Obama Plaza.

vicwatson Registered User

Patww79 said:
There's a big Boston Doughnuts stand in the shop part of Obama Plaza.

That’s for the dubs to stock up when going on holidays down the country

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!