Wearb Moderator

Is there any way to tie the names on the 1901/11 census records with a particular house on a map? I am writing about the countryside, where there isn't house numbers.

tabbey Registered User

No.

Each enumerator picked his own numbering system in rural areas.

However, you can check the "cancelled"(revision) books in the valuation office, (Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin) to see which property was occupied by a person of a certain name.

Beware, in some rural areas, half the population in a townland could have the same surname.

2 people have thanked this post
Wearb Moderator

tabbey said:
No.

Each enumerator picked his own numbering system in rural areas.

However, you can check the "cancelled"(revision) books in the valuation office, (Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin) to see which property was occupied by a person of a certain name.

Beware, in some rural areas, half the population in a townland could have the same surname.

Are these properties identified on a map?
And yes, in the areas that I am interested in there are quite a few similar surnames. Probably due to sub-division.

pinkypinky Moderator

Yes, they're mapped.

1 person has thanked this post
Wearb Moderator

Any idea if these "cancelled"(revision) books" are being prepared for online viewing?

pinkypinky Moderator

No, we discussed this quite recently on the forum and someone actually checked. Some counties are on computers in the Valuation Office though.

Wearb Moderator

pinkypinky said:
No, we discussed this quite recently on the forum and someone actually checked. Some counties are on computers in the Valuation Office though.

OK Thank you all for your help.

DamoRed Registered User

Thanks for the info on the books, Tabbey. I wasn't aware of their existence. Is the valuation office used to and prepared for people coming in and asking for access to these books?

DamoRed Registered User

Thanks. I didn't know it existed.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!